Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

AdrianKoshka FranklynBe

Support Us

Top Posters

Anitaos - A DIY OS for really old crates.

Reading this thread people are probably thinking what is a DIY OS. Well it is to put it simply taking a basic barebones iso burning it to cd and then installing it adding the modules that you need to make an operating system with what you want for your particular machine. Installation is the same as the os it is loosely based on Puppy Linux.

The base iso is an older remastered and updated version of Puppy Linux with a kernel which is ideal for the pentium 2->, and older machines. The iso boots into a desktop and using the package manager and .pets I have compiled and collected to make a useful system I have included Glibc updates so a modern browser like seamonkey can be used but at the same time use a kernel which is ideal for old machines anyway if you got to the Google Drive site and login with the following you cancheck it out and start building it is a work in progress but provides a more upto date alternative to distros like damn small on machines that can't run more modern os's. A roll your own approach.

In other words a building block style building approach the new iso's have alot of the updates to make easier for the user to deploy their system.
:happy:

So start building your own OS.

NOW AVAILABLE DIRECTLY HERE http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos/

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS THREAD FOR UPDATED INFO

Please read Getting started wiki before starting. For important links please read html document about other important related sites for Anitaos - http://sourceforge.net/p/anitaos/wiki/browse_pages/

Comments

• setkehsetkeh Administrator
    Nice work Buddy

Though adding some screenshots to the OP would be great :D

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• darry1966darry1966 Registered
    setkeh wrote:
    Nice work Buddy

Thankyou Setkeh.
  • SeanSean Registered
    I'd think twice about connecting an old puppy OS with an onld kernel to the internet, but it's still cool!
    [/img]
    setkeh wrote:
    Nice work Buddy

Hi what do you guys use for doing screenshots and how do you paste in to your threads.
  • ValtamValtam Registered
    Hi darry, have a look here from the New Members section - https://www.linuxdistrocommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=15 on screenshots etc.
    Hi Valtam,

I feel pretty silly for having asked I have never done screenhots before let alone paste a picture into a posting on a forum I appreciate the new knowledge I am learning.
  • darry1966 wrote:
    Hi Valtam,

I feel pretty silly for having asked I have never done screenhots before let alone paste a picture into a posting on a forum I appreciate the new knowledge I am learning.

Never feel silly here, everyone is new to something. Theres no reason to not ask what you dont know. Always feel free to ask for help, nothing is more human.
    Well here it is a screenshot of Anitaos - she is nothing fancy but I've made changes under the hood as in modernising Glibc etc from a barebones ISO.

The Wallpaper is of Milford in New Zealand, we have a lot of breathtaking scenery.

ouAyndc.jpg
    Latest New - Anitaos

New SDL libraries providing better support for games which are more up to date the Debian ones are so much better. Some other new applications too.

NOW ALSO AVAILABLE DIRECTLY HERE http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos/

Please type exactly as shown in lower case. If you have any problems logging in then please let me know here. Anyway enjoy this Distro designed to keep old hardware going build it yourself and you reap the benefits.
  • darry1966 wrote:
    Latest New - Anitaos

New SDL libraries providing better support for games which are more uptodate. Some other new aplications too.

NOW AVAILABLE DIRECTLY HERE http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos/

If have any problems with setting up Anitaos then please post them here and I will endeavour to answer them for you
  • Having accessed the site as mentioned earlier, download and burn the base 4.12 iso to disk. Install using gparted and mount the cdrom then install using the universal installer.

Install the Grub bootloader.

1. Download the glib-2.22.pet
    2. Install Glibc-2.10 and Glibc-2.10-locales pets
    3. Install Gtkdialog 4 .pet
    4. Install libgio 2 pet
    4. Reboot

This will update anitaos for using with more up to date programs. Many available from the anitaos google drive site.

If You need to restart jwm from commandline in terminal type jwm -restart and to fix menus type fixmenus

For programs tat install that don't create a menu entry use the program menu entry maker to make a menu entry. You will need to install menu entry maker first. This is especially true of some of the games which install to either /usr/games/ or /usr/bin

For really old low resource machines it is recommended to use Firedog instead of Seamonkey for general browsing.Also worthy of installing is deb2pet which allows you to convert debian packages to anitaos's .pet format to install simply download .deb package - best to use squeeze packages and install.

I have now uploaded 4.31 Barebones with a 2.6.30 kernel for those that want a later kernel as well as 4.12 barebones.

As always if you have any problems logging in or need help then leave questions here thank you.
  • Latest Update

Latest news with XPDF have uploaded the libs needed for this to run copy to /usr/lib.

Quite often when compiling from Debian libs will end up in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu. Please be aware of this when compiling from debian GNU/Linux and that you often need to use menu entry maker to make a menu entry or correct menu entry.

Latest Mtpaint added to replace Cinepaint which wouldn't compile properly and mtpaint is much more inline with my Bonsai simplicity philosophy for Anitaos. Added older version of fotoxx which only requires exiv for basic functionalty.
    Please not in the first posting a change of login details at the Anitaos google drive site.

New details are..

Login (email) anitaos1964 password anitaos66

Thank you.
    darry1966 wrote:
    Please not in the first posting a change of login details at the Anitaos google drive site.

New details are..

Login (email) anitaos1964 password anitaos66

Thank you.
    New Seamonkey posted to Sourceforge site above installs to opt will update as new major updates arise. You can of course update present Seamonkey.
    I have added Audacity and VlC to the range of Apps available
    Added Wheezy version of Xarchiver complete
  • Added Flburn simple cd Burner and Sweep Audio Editor both ported from Debian Linux
  • Added PDFedit ported from Slackware to Anitaos.
  • Improved documentation in Wiki and new wallpapers and of course lots of software added. Documentation regarding strange JWM entries when installing software such as Seamonkey Mozilla build and Mtpaint from Slackware - Using Menu Entry Maker to correct incorrect Menu entries.
  • Merry Xmas
    To all on these forums.

Long time since last update - this distro still going new software put up for installing new wallpapers, themes etc.

Anyway Seasons greetings to all

Darren Hale
  • A Present for XMAS - Pan News Reader added.
    Still working on this distro but have now made a sister project here based on Puppy Linux 525 retro for those who find Anitaos a little too old for their old machine or want something slightly newer - Kernel is 2.6.30.5 kernel it is Barebones like Anitaos but more complete featuring ffmpeg, Abiword, SDL Libraries, Gtkam, Mplayer but many programs stripped to make a base for your own programs. Is compatable with Lucid Ubuntu packages. Announcing DAZOS as a sister project to Anitaos.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos2/
    I have been playing around with a remastering tool called Woofy and decided to try and produce anitaos iso's with a lot of the updates and SDL Libraries included instructions are included in the folder. Of course programs here may require other libs not included which you will find in the lib and updates folders.

I have retained for those interested the unmodified iso's who wish to do more of the updating process themselves.

Updated Gpup and 4.12 Barebones iso’s

These iso’s include the following important updates already to add your choice of browser without so updates to install as they are already included....
    1. SDL libraries for games
    2. Libstdc++6.4
    3. ffmpeg update
    4. Libjpeg7 and Libjpeg8
    5. Libtiff4_3.9.4-5
    6. Updated Xine-lib Full and Xine ui and plugin
    7. Glib 2.22
    8. Glibc2.10 and Glibc-locales 2.10
    9, Gtkdialog4
    10. Deb2pet
    11. libgio
    12. Puppy4.12 Flash fullscreen fix
    13. Avidemux
    14. Menu Entry Maker
    15. Updated Gtkam

also libdbus and lidbus-glib for using seamonkey/Firefox

For Wallpaper changing functionately then install Gpicview included inthe folder.

When requiring DRi and GLX support install Xorg full dri and GLX support pet from the Puppy Package Manager - petget (Instructions are in the wiki section).

So these iso’s are barebones but less steps are required to enable the more modern software to run
    The updated iso's are in the iso's with updates folder
    I have added thunar to other filemanagers section.
    Have just compiled zsnes emulator compiled for Anitaos and tested works with Super Mario.smc. Bear in mind please check licences before downloading these games with regards to laws in your country. I have placed zsnes under emulators.

The .pet files should also be compatabile with Anitaos.
    http://ppm.scottjarvis.com/?dir=emulation

I have wine already at the Anitaos site.

Have now just compiled and located under emulators dosbox and mupen64plus.
    viewnior added to graphics section one retro one newer version.
    Hi Anitos users big news I have created new LT (Long Term) iso releses that you will find here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos/files/Anitaos/LATEST LTS ANITAOS ISO/
    I have decided to concentrate on Gpup SMP kernel iso and non 4.12 barebones based iso and have dropped the 4.31 based barebones iso as Gpup does the same job.

As always please read the Wki first by the way in the same folder as these iso's there are 2 updates that need to be installed post installtion as they work best that way all tools like deb2pet can be found back in the tools for anitaos section by the way these iso's contain the artwork of Linux.org's very own Devyn C Johnson who is very talented as an artist please do check out his work and thank you again for your support with anitaos

http://gnome-look.org/usermanager/search.php?username=DevynCJohnson&action=contents&PHPSESSID=32424677ef4d9dffed020d06ef2522ac

By the way the Frisbee wireless/Wired network manager is installed by default to make connectivity easier. Flashplayer is to be installed separately and is found here.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos/files/Anitaos/flashplayer10-10.3.183.90.pet/download
  • Added Opera and QTWeb to Browser section.
  • Latest seamonkey 2.24 added to Internet section - It installs to /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey

Please edit the browse icon on your desktop as follows (as this version creates no menu entry).

Right click on it and choose open as text and create the following entry
    #!/bin/sh
    exec /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey "$@"
    From the file menu click
    save
  • Keepassx from slackware added to anitaos Security section.

Handy vid from Nixiepixel