Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

AdrianKoshka FranklynBe

Support Us

Top Posters

What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? And Why?

What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? And Why?

Name a General Distro, not a based one(For example, if you like Elementary OS, say your favorite is Ubuntu) then you can go specific

Arch?
Debian?
Fedora?
Gentoo?
OpenSUSE?
Puppy?
Slackware?
Ubuntu?
Other?

Here's mine(and an example of how the answer should be presented)

Debian
SolydX, to be specific. It's stable, has codecs, good support, and rolling release so you won't have to reinstall. I might try Manjaro and Sabayon once I get more familiar with Linux. Most Ubuntu 12.04 distros would look distorted on my screen because of a kernel error with my GMA 500 integrated graphics. 13.04 worked fine. When I connected my android phone on 12.04 & 13.04, it would display, but couldn't view anything. When I ejected my external HDD, it would bring an error message, so I'd have to manually pull it out. Debian Testing never had these problems for me.

Comments

• Solydx
    A bit of KDE, a bit of Linux Mint, with that great Whisker menu panel, rolling release, and the great Xfce window manager. Works great on a ancient IBM T60, with 1gig of ram. I opened up 6 programs and running at the same time. There were no crashes or freezing, with half the ram used, and 2% cpu usage. A very good and stable disto! :-D
  • SeanSean Registered
    Arch. I'm on my phone at the moment so I won't go into too much detail.

I like Arch because I can pick and choose everything I want along with configure everything as much or as less as I need to. But what really takes the cake for me is the AUR. You can find anything you want on the AUR or you can contribute to it if you would like to. For example I maintain the Mythruna and Starmade pkgbuilds (they're both java based games) and many other people do the same thing but with programs that are infinitely more complicated then what I work with. If it wasn't for the AUR on Arch I would probably use Debian Sid to hav an up-to-date distro.
  • Teddy5090Teddy5090 Registered
    About 2 years ago, my favorite distro was Ubuntu. I was so hooked to it, I swore by it. My, times have changed! I now use Arch Linux with KDE on my main computer, which is Windows-Free, (only use VirtualBox for Windows now, and Wine, too). My Favorite now is Arch Linux. Totally customisable to the point of how exactly you want it.
    Theodore Thorpe,
    Member of the Cup Of Linux, Linux Distro Community & Linux Lite Forums.
  • kbdkbd Registered
    I want Debian Stable on machines I can't afford to break :-)
    Using Linux Lite right now on two machines and it's impressive.
  • Arch and Debian Stable are my two favorite distros that the moment. I like Arch just a tad better because it has more UEFI support. Maybe if Debian Stable didn't show an EFI shell after every reboot in Virtualbox (EFI VM), I'd trust it on my actual PC running UEFI (no secure boot). :cool:
  • sidzensidzen DonatorDonator
    Donator
    My priorities being performance, access to good usable software, an above-average distro user forum and ease of use have lead me to distros such as the Debian-based antiX (testing) and Semplice (unstable) and the Slackware-compatible Salix. As to the 'why' -- smxi for true-Debian makes post-install tweaking easy and the stabililty of 'Unstable'-based Semplice allows me to use my choice of software packages; Salix devs have vastly improved the so-called 'user unfriendliness' of Slack and added a real boon to entrenched APT users by incorporating their slapt-get package handler into their distro. Besides, the helpfulness and knowldge of forum regulars in those fora dedicated to a certain distro are hard to beat when speaking of either antiX or Salix, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, other fora have similar attributes, but non-bloated functional default software choice and a lively response from the Desktop Environment I choose at install time (if applicable -- no DE available in antiX, just a choice of WMs, of which I favor IceWM ) and the usability of the award-winning script smxi with true-Debian-based distros give a slight edge to antiX, especially when using older hardware.

Of course, for newbs and gamers there is the incomparable Linux Lite, for the time being!
  • CoastieCoastie Registered
    Linux Lite! Like it says simple, light, and free even for a Linux newby. Plus it has clean modern look, plenty of help available from communty especially from creator, Jerry Bezencon, a.k.a. Valtam, and works on my old machine. :cool:
  • leelee Registered
    Tiny Core Linux... well, really "Core Linux" since I don't use the same wm as the "Tiny Core" example distribution.

Because...
    Least of all because it is a tiny download, although that's nice.

Because it is small enough that one can understand, at least in a general way, everything in it. And the parts that I've taken the time to learn about in greater detail have been enlightening, to say the least.

Because it is so fully customizable - there's nothing to throw away, you just add -your- choice of software, like building with lego blocks.

Because it is quick - having the root fs in RAM is fast. If you have plenty of RAM, loading -everything- into memory can be quite a treat.

Because the OS and apps are freshly installed on every reboot, literally, and its still fast booting. -Everything- except what you explicitly backup is reset to a pristine condition.

Because its good for
    • a bootable USB stick
    • a low spec old hand-me-down PC
    • a quick and easy little VM
    • a server with multi-core 64 bit CPU and multi-GB of RAM
    • an Atom based netbook with 1GB RAM, booting from an SD card
    All of which are use cases I regularly exercise.

Because, it is supported by a very active and responsive user and developer community on the Tiny Core forums and Tiny Core wiki.
  • plustwoplustwo Registered
    Arch. flexibility and lightweight is the key. you can pump it up to your liking... very :cool: distro for me especially on ARM devices
  • c_smithc_smith Registered
    Even though I keep trying other distros, I always come back to Ubuntu, so I guess that's my favorite. :D
  • Gentoo, hands down.

I have tried Ubuntu, Debian, Debian Testing, Arch, Mint, and a few others, but Gentoo was the first distro where everything actually worked properly. It is automated enough (a lot like Debian) where you don't have to manually compile packages and a lot of the default configurations are beautiful.

The compile time is trivial for what you get in performance and lack of bugs. Also, the repositories are very very up-to-date and the community is very responsive. It has the best IRC channel in my opinion and a pretty good wiki (although I use the Arch wiki for a lot of things, since Gentoo and Arch are very close in configurations).

The only downside is it has a rather steep learning curve, but if you want something that works well, especially for a server, Gentoo is great.

Runner-up: Debian

Solid, stable, quick to set up.
  • wchouser3wchouser3 Registered
    no doubt about it, Arch!

once you adapt to the learning curve inherent to Linux, you're really holding yourself back unless you at-least try Arch. This is an os that you have complete control over, and you have the option of installing from source, or from binaries. Also, Arch provides a more rewarding experience.
  • darry1966darry1966 Registered
    Tried Slackware and Vector loved the experience I use their packages a lot. The earlier Puppy Linuxes like 4.12, 3.01 and Puppy 2.17 and Absolute Linux. Porteous was very lightweight and quite cool to use.
  • nakanutnakanut Registered
    I've tried loads over the years. I have Fedora running on a Dell XPS desktop which I do like, but I have two laptops each with Kubuntu.

Kubuntu just works, it's (to me) how a PC should look and is heavily customizable, and tons of stuff in the repositories.

But I will be giving the final beta of Ubuntu 14.04 a test drive later this month. I have Ubuntu 12.04 on a SSD HD partition and it's quicker than Kubuntu 12.10
  • irishluck83irishluck83 Administrator
    Arch. I can make it my own distro.
  • Linux Mint, NOT UBUNTU, Linux Mint ok.Why, simple it was the first distro I tried and no others can compare. Linux Mint has its own Repos and its own DE's like Cinnamon and Mate. They forked Nautious and gave us Nemo witch I was shocked did not come with the XFCE version of Mint. Mint has an online forum and an online repo where you can download and run applications in .mint files, I don't see zorin makeing .zorin files do you?mints online repo..mints are not .debs Mint also has some of if not the best background images for their distro and for hardcore users they even have a Delibain branch too. Mint also has it's own art site and blog where you can get the latest news and artwork for your disrobution. Also mint has a decent redisro policy. All you have to do is remove the mint branding and artwork and boom. I also like how Clem listens to the community even though some of us can be verry stuburn and stupid at many times. They even have a community site where you can post tutorials and imporovements to mint. Mint is also the highest disro on disro watch for their high ateinton to detail. Mint is also made to run on new and old computers, how ever they do not tie them selfs down to old hardware like Linux Light and Core Linux. Linux mint also has officle releases for KDE, XFCE, Mate, and Cinnamon. Many devlopers only port their applications to mint and not ubuntu one of these for example was Opera, Picasa, Skype, and Songbird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_mint(Package classification/import)
    Mints forums also do not allow for discrimination and are much more calm then the Ubuntu forums.
    The reason Nemo isn't included with Xfce is that Nemo is integrated into the Cinnamon desktop, meaning much of it's functionality is integral to the DE it's self. This isn't to say that you cannot install Nemo, and use it with Xfce, you can, but if you do, you have to be aware of the fact that it will install the entire Cinnamon desktop as dependencies. The point behind the Xfce desktop is to be more lightweight, while still offering everything you need to run the system. Much of the stuff that makes Nemo and Cinnamon so desireable to users also comes with the price of more machine resources. I agree that Mint is definately better than Ubuntu in terms of multimedia codecs, and workability. (once you get all the god-awful green, white and silver taken off) The last time I tried Ubuntu, I spent an hour learning how to uninstall the butt-tun of crap they've got on there to try to get you to go buy something every time you start typing on it. I don't really consider Ubuntu to be Linux anymore.
  • PCNetSpecPCNetSpec Registered
    Post removed by PCnetSpec.
    (apparently the forum won't let me delete the post altogether)
  • MadmanRBMadmanRB Registered
    openSUSE is my favorite, due to its stability and reliability.
    It has wonderful KDE integration and runs real smooth on my system.
    MadmanRB wrote:

I've heard some interesting stuff about package management with openSUSE lately. I haven't tried it in years. I'll have to play with it.
    wchouser3 wrote:
    MadmanRB wrote:

I've heard some interesting stuff about package management with openSUSE lately. I haven't tried it in years. I'll have to play with it.

Actually dependencies are barely a problem anymore on openSUSE, its gotten much better at installing things.
    sure there are still hiccups and I recommend not using apper in it openSUSE is just as reliable as a debian system right now, perhaps even better.
    [/quote]
    Actually dependencies are barely a problem anymore on openSUSE, its gotten much better at installing things.
    sure there are still hiccups and I recommend not using apper in it openSUSE is just as reliable as a debian system right now, perhaps even better.
    [/quote]

Apper is a sick joke in any distro
    Well apper isnt so bad if its not the primary installer, openSUSE thankfully can bypass it for the most part.
  • DanDDDanDD Registered
    Bodhi Linux, because of Enlightenment (E19).
  • ViperViper Registered
    Mine is elementary OS.

I was looking at lot of the more lightweight distos (Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Linuxmint, LinuxLite, etc) but I did not like the way any of them looked.

Then I started looking at some of the heavier distros such as Zorin OS and Ubuntu but despite them looking better in my opinion they ran too slowly for my liking on my old laptop.

Then I heard about elementary OS, First I gave it a try on my desktop PC in a virtual machine and I liked the way it looked, so I put it on a USB and booted it on my laptop and the performance was great, I had finally found a distro that I thought looked good and runs smoothly.
  • L0aD1nGL0aD1nG Registered
    It is a one word answer for me really. Why is hiding inside the word. Its the distro which I use for like 3 years now and to all my 3 machines. Named..... [size=large]DEBIAN[/size]
  • My favorite is the one that I'm currently building, it has no name because I haven't named it and it's not based on anything; literally just a bootstrapped kernel, a custom init contained in a one-file C binary, and no package manager (yet). It's my favorite because I built it specifically for me, it reminds me of what I ran as a kid, and it's got nothing but possibilities. No extra deps determined by some package manager, no "junk libs" that aren't needed, and if there's a problem with it chances are it's my fault because I'm the one writing the tools that anything in userspace might be using or affected by.

For all else, I have my Arch laptop (System76, provided by employer). Package management is excellent and the documentation is inarguably the current best among all distros (Arch Wiki == "The Linux Bible" at this point in time). It does everything I need it to do for development work (job and personal projects) and despite the bad rap that "rolling release" distros get flak for, I've never had stability issues. Before using Arch I had used Gentoo for several years and was quite the distro-hopper before that because, experimentation. I guess the only reason why I didn't stick with Gentoo (or any other distro) was because I wanted as close to a "base" system as possible (which Gentoo definitely provides) but without waiting many hours for compiles to complete. Couple that with an outstanding package manager and the choice of whether or not to use Arch was an easy one to make. It's been my "go to" distro for new systems for quite some time :)
  • lumnilumni Registered
    Slackware :wink:

I've been using Slackware for years, and I know where everything is and if I have the source, I can build it (as long as the source isn't from 1962 :wink:)
  • I would have to say Debian, simply because almost every distro I've tried was based on it at some level.

Runs on so many platforms.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.

• DanDDDanDD Registered
    I love Bodhi Linux, but a friend said that openSUSE can also use the Enlightenment DE, and since openSUSE has more to it than Bodhi, I downloaded and installed openSUSE, and it works great.