Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

What do you use for desktop recording?

Okay, I'm a Minecraft player, actually I currently maintain a Minecraft Mod Pack on both the FTB launcher and on the ATLauncher, and I'm wanting to do some tutorial videos, some mod spotlights, and perhaps a Let's Play series, but I'm running into a couple of issues with recording software available via the Software Manager.

Kazam is a great program, but if it records anything over 10 minutes, the whole thing starts lagging and eventually seizes up my computer entirely. I think this has to do with the fact that it's trying to record and process simultaneously, and my computer isn't the most modern.

RecordMyDesktop does a bit better, but even when I go into the options and use pulse instead of DEFAULT for my audio, there are still issues with it dropping sound inconveniently. While it does take forever to process the video, I consider this the price to pay for lag-free recording.

I generally throttle both my recording software and minecraft (via Optifine) at around 20 FPS, and I play windowed set to 1024 x 768 and set to 'record window' to more easily convert to something viewable on Youtube and limit my file size.

I'm currently running on Mint 15 (64 bit) + Cinnamon
Processor: AMD Dual-Core Processor 4850e x 2
RAM: 4 GB DDR2
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT (512 MB) + using the nvidia-310 driver

Using OpenGL 2.90 and Java from the webupd8team PPA for running Minecraft itself.

Are there any tips or tricks to get this to work better, or am I just running on legacy hardware and hitting the limits of my system specs?

Comments

• TibleTible Registered
    Simple screen recorder is pretty popular.

Give it a try and see if you have any issues with that one.

Also if you need more ppl for a lets play or a survival map, i love me some Minecraft ;)
  • Tible wrote:
    Simple screen recorder is pretty popular.

Give it a try and see if you have any issues with that one.

Also if you need more ppl for a lets play or a survival map, i love me some Minecraft ;)

Well, it seems to be kind of picky with PulseAudio if it records just my mike or just Minecraft, not both. ALSA kind of does both, but I can't seem to change the mix to make my voice not so loud compared to the noises the game makes.

One advantage is that I can set my hotkey for recording that actually functions while playing Minecraft, so I can pause mid-stream to cut exceedingly boring sections.

Haven't run it on a stress test yet, though.
  • One thing I've done is record the desktop with recordmydesktop and record audio separately with audacity. Then I use an editor to put the audio and video together, like kdenlive. You could even use two machines for this, one for your voice audio and one for the game audio/screen capture.

You can also use ffmpeg from the command line to do screen and audio capture. A buddy of mine has had some luck with this method on a netbook.
  • The people who make screencasts on youtube, like myself, use ffmpeg.
  • Armageddon wrote:
    The people who make screencasts on youtube, like myself, use ffmpeg.

Is there some GUI wrapper I can use? Trying to swap out with terminal and game seems like a royal PITA. Plus, how can FFMPEG record only one window instead of the whole screen?

I've heard really good things about using ffmpeg, however the fact that it is a terminal command has kinda deterred me from experimenting with it. Primarily, Minecraft has a tendency to capture keyboard and mouse, making it difficult to swap over to terminal to stop recording.

Yea, I know, I've been dabbling in the Linux Kernel side of the force for a while now, I should really get more familiar with bash scripts, but I keep chickening out.
  • Armageddon wrote:

Is there some GUI wrapper I can use? Trying to swap out with terminal and game seems like a royal PITA. Plus, how can FFMPEG record only one window instead of the whole screen?

I've heard really good things about using ffmpeg, however the fact that it is a terminal command has kinda deterred me from experimenting with it. Primarily, Minecraft has a tendency to capture keyboard and mouse, making it difficult to swap over to terminal to stop recording.

Yea, I know, I've been dabbling in the Linux Kernel side of the force for a while now, I should really get more familiar with bash scripts, but I keep chickening out.

I'm not aware of any good GUI wrapper for it, I use the terminal. I'm also not sure if ffmpeg can record only one window, it might have that ability. You might want to look at this.

Finally, for the last part, I'm not sure what the linux kernel have anything to do with bash scripts. They are not related.
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    when the keyboard and mouse is captured by minecraft you can press "e" or "esc" to get it back.

TO make it record just a window you can do somthing like this
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1920x1080 -i :0.0+1024,768 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.mkv

Note the window has to be in that position every time else you will just record blank desktop. (you can use a tool like xprop to get the X and Y positions)

FFMPEG is the only recording solution i have found reliable for linux.

FFMPEG Seems hard at first but like everything it gets easier with practice :D

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• SeanSean Registered
    I like to use FFMPEG. Once you get your line perfected, you are set for life ;P
  • JoshuaJoshua Registered
    I have tried a few screen recorders, RecordMyDesktop is good, But it takes a while to encode the video. but with SimpleScreenRecorder, the video encodes while recording so you can watch it after you save your recording.
  • Jim1938Jim1938 Registered
    I've used Vokoscreen with LM13 and 15 and now with Linux Lite.
    It has worked very well.
  • robgravesrobgraves DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Armageddon wrote:

This.
  • sthlmsthlm Registered
    Vokoscreen
  • It depends on what I'm doing. I do some recording on liveusb/cd distros, and ffmpeg/vokoscreen have issues dealing with "shared memory" where recordmydesktop does not. But i really like ffmpeg/vokoscreen whenever possible.
  • I use Kazam it's lite and fast and just works.
    Okay, I'm a Minecraft player, actually I currently maintain a Minecraft Mod Pack on both the FTB launcher and on the ATLauncher, and I'm wanting to do some tutorial videos, some mod spotlights, and perhaps a Let's Play series, but I'm running into a couple of issues with recording software available via the Software Manager.

Kazam is a great program, but if it records anything over 10 minutes, the whole thing starts lagging and eventually seizes up my computer entirely. I think this has to do with the fact that it's trying to record and process simultaneously, and my computer isn't the most modern.

RecordMyDesktop does a bit better, but even when I go into the options and use pulse instead of DEFAULT for my audio, there are still issues with it dropping sound inconveniently. While it does take forever to process the video, I consider this the price to pay for lag-free recording.

I generally throttle both my recording software and minecraft (via Optifine) at around 20 FPS, and I play windowed set to 1024 x 768 and set to 'record window' to more easily convert to something viewable on Youtube and limit my file size.

I'm currently running on Mint 15 (64 bit) + Cinnamon
    Processor: AMD Dual-Core Processor 4850e x 2
    RAM: 4 GB DDR2
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT (512 MB) + using the nvidia-310 driver

Using OpenGL 2.90 and Java from the webupd8team PPA for running Minecraft itself.

Are there any tips or tricks to get this to work better, or am I just running on legacy hardware and hitting the limits of my system specs?
  • plustwoplustwo Registered
    ffmpeg is very :cool: once you got the grips of it