Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Linux Lite 1.0.6 Beta

Release Announcement

This is the second development release for version 1.0.6 of Linux Lite. We've added more content to the Help Manual, added new slides for the install, and fixed some bugs from the 1.0.6 Alpha. Thank you to everyone who helped test the alpha build, I hope that you can join us for this beta test.

If you haven't already, please consider 'liking' our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Linuxlite/572323192787066 and help spread the word to people who may not have heard of linux operating systems before.

NOTE: Intel have stopped developing 12.04 graphics driver releases so I have removed that part from the Help Manual, when you get your copy of this Beta, please do Menu, Install Updates so you have the latest version of the Manual. The Manual now has an updated Intel drivers tutorial.

Download from here - Linux Lite 1.0.6 Beta
md5sum: 10d59973dd835adfb546c650a7a977cb
Torrent from here - linux-lite-1.0.6-beta-32bit.iso.torrent
Hash: 8526c0f4e72355a2c0af425b6ef77dd1abdcc477

Live USB/DVD/VirtualBox/Vmware: Login is automatic, no credentials required.
The image can be written to a 2gb or larger USB stick, or a writable DVD.
Alternatively, you can use the dd command: sudo dd if=linux-lite-1.0.6-beta-32bit.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=4M where 'x' is the letter of your usb stick.
In linux to find out the letter of your usb stick, open a terminal and type: df -h It is usually listed as 'media' or similar.
Please see the built in Help & Support manual if you require a more detailed explanation of this procedure.

Recommended Hardware/Minimal System requirements:

700 MHz processor+ (pae capable)
512 MiB RAM+
5 GB of hard-drive space+
VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution
Either a DVD drive or a USB port for the iso
Check here first - https://www.linuxdistrocommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=525 to ensure your cpu has the pae feature.

Login to the live desktop is automatic.

hZvAEwk.png

You are welcome to install it on to hardware and encouraged to provide feedback, bug reports. Testing this release in a virtual machine is advisable.

Changelog:

Firefox 21.0
Help & Support Manual (work in progress)
New install slides.
Announcement of the Linux Lite Shop.
Bug fixes.
See the Alpha 1.0.6 readme for a full list of changes since 1.0.4.

Comments

• NiytroNiytro Registered
    can I update or must I completely re-install?
  • ValtamValtam Registered
    Niytro wrote:
    can I update or must I completely re-install?

These are test builds, you can't upgrade because there have been changes, bug fixes. If you want the full 1.0.6 experience installed to your computer, wait for the final. I don't have a release date for that yet sorry.
  • NiytroNiytro Registered
    I don't mind re-installing I just cant figure out this mount function in terminal. I've been on google for two hours and still can't get it. I can burn a disc but I would rather not use one if I don't have to.
    Start a seperate thread and we'll help you with that :)
  • KafshielKafshiel Registered
    I went for downloading LinuxLite 1.0.6 Beta today since i've tried the Alpha and was my first Linux distro but everything worked so easy that i'm captivated! Internet and the other packages all started to function right away! Amazing! Now i really love Linux (I've tried other distros in Live mode but i prefer Lite!) The only nag i have is that i wanted to download as Torrent but surprise! NOBODY is seeding! Yes: 0 seeds! I have Tixati and could see other users trying to download the torrent and they eventually disconnected... Bummer! I would seed if at least the torrent iso had 1 other seeder there (i don't know how to upload torrents) but no way! It's a real shame! Now i have to download from SourceForge Slo-mo (really sssslllloooowwww) server so it's Sunday and i don't feel like waiting an hour and half for that! Maybe tomorrow or when i go to sleep... Anyway thanks for the AMAZING Lite distro! Makes my Intel Atom 1.66 Ghz 1 Gb Ram Notebook look like 2013! (and it's graphically beautiful and cool too! Hate Ubuntu's orangy/red crap!) I'll be in touch man! Have a nice one!I'm sorry! I downloaded from SourceForge and it took only 18 minutes with 12 mbps Wi-Fi... Pretty fast for 720 MB! So forget the torrent thing! Now i wanted to install alongside my Win 7 OS but the Ubuntu (from Canonical) tutorial says you have to download the legacy Ubuntu server edition yada yada yada or else you'll overwrite your Windows MBR, so partiton /boot /sys /home in ext3 (some other is ext4) yada yada yada and then more ladidadi & blabla... So Linux alongside Windows is a pain in the neck! I'm really trying how to do it so i can have Linux Lite on my HDD too (now i've only used the Live USB version... can't download anything coz it's an old 1 Gb stick...) but it seems to be a daunting task! Maybe you Linux Jedis could put together a more clearer tutorial than the one on Ubuntu Raring site! (Or i can buy a 16/32 Gb pen drive... I have a 4 Gb pen but it's not enough and it's being used already) So any help as to install alongside Windows with no screw-ups would be welcomed! Thanks!
  • jlostjlost Registered
    Unable to install via USB stick. Same method worked fine with the Alpha. Tried twice, same error.

Screenshot_ll106beta.png

EDIT: I just installed 1.0.6 Alpha. My USB stick is not the problem. Also MD5 Checksum of my ISO matches above.
  • jlost wrote:
    Unable to install via USB stick. Same method worked fine with the Alpha. Tried twice, same error.

Screenshot_ll106beta.png

EDIT: I just installed 1.0.6 Alpha. My USB stick is not the problem. Also MD5 Checksum of my ISO matches above.

What was your method of burning the iso? And what version where you trying to install?
    Kafshiel wrote:
    The only nag i have is that i wanted to download as Torrent but surprise! NOBODY is seeding! Yes: 0 seeds! I have Tixati and could see other users trying to download the torrent and they eventually disconnected... Bummer! I would seed if at least the torrent iso had 1 other seeder there (i don't know how to upload torrents) but no way!

Hi Kafshiel, welcome to the community.
    The beta torrent works fine here as you can see from the screenshot. Maybe try another bittorrent client, I have never heard of 'Tixati'

MKCrQMQ.png

In regards to dual booting with Windows, the installer takes care of all that, please see the Install Guide section of the manual - http://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html
  • jlostjlost Registered
    What was your method of burning the iso? And what version where you trying to install?

UNetbootin did not work, so I used Win32DiskImager to write this new Linux Lite 1.0.6 Beta iso to USB pen. This install method has worked with all previous linux Lite iso, including the 1.0.6 Alpha.
  • jlostjlost Registered
    When I am on a different internet connection in a few days, I will download the iso again in case it is corrupt, despite the matching checksum.
    Was noticing that 1.0.6 seemed to boot quicker, so ran 5 tests back to back with 1.0.4 and got the same result each time:

http://www.linuxliteos.com/video/boot_comparison.webm
    1.0.6 Beta Review:
  • ozcanozcan Registered
    Really very nice distro, just wonder that why not shipped XFCE 4.10?
    Hello ozcan, welcome. All packages are shipped according to the Ubuntu 12.04 repo's since the distro is built on 12.04. Next year when we do the next major release 4.10 will be installed by default.
  • gychanggychang DonatorDonator
    Donator
    looks good, nice job. Must i put in the password to open another partition on my HD?, previously just a click...
    gychang wrote:
    looks good, nice job. Must i put in the password to open another partition on my HD?, previously just a click...

If you've installed 1.0.6 and a drive is asking you for a password, just means you didn't give it a mount point during the install. If that's the case, mount it and change the permissions to your user.
    Donator
    Valtam wrote:
    gychang wrote:

If you've installed 1.0.6 and a drive is asking you for a password, just means you didn't give it a mount point during the install. If that's the case, mount it and change the permissions to your user.

I will look closely during the install, any chance of adjusting volume with the keycombo?, previous 1.0.4, amixer set Master 5+ worked but not now...
    gychang wrote:
    Valtam wrote:
    gychang wrote:

I will look closely during the install, any chance of adjusting volume with the keycombo?, previous 1.0.4, amixer set Master 5+ worked but not now...

The volume configuration has changed since 1.0.4, please refer to the Help Manual for an overview of sound on 1.0.6. Cheers.
    Donator
    Valtam wrote:
    gychang wrote:
    Valtam wrote:
    gychang wrote:

The volume configuration has changed since 1.0.4, please refer to the Help Manual for an overview of sound on 1.0.6. Cheers.

thanks again.
  • Scott(0)Scott(0) Registered
    The Help & Support information is very helpful. Great work. I have a suggestion:

Consider adding the following to the section "Add Another User":
    Adding User to Group

More specifically, how to give a new user sudo permissions or just standard desktop permissions.

Enjoying Linux Lite,
    Thanks
    Donator
    Scott(0) wrote:
    The Help & Support information is very helpful. Great work. I have a suggestion:

Adding User to Group

More specifically, how to give a new user sudo permissions or just standard desktop permissions.

Enjoying Linux Lite,
    Thanks

was this reference to login automatically to a separate partition, without logging in?, can't seem to do this with sudo chmod... On my machine I have one user "apa" and will like to maintain it that way...
    Scott(0) wrote:

Adding User to Group

Enjoying Linux Lite,
    Thanks

Thanks Scott, great suggestion :)
    Valtam wrote:
    Scott(0) wrote:

Adding User to Group

Enjoying Linux Lite,
    Thanks

Thanks Scott, great suggestion :)

Hi Valtam,

Thanks for the reply.

Time permitting maybe you can comment on the following question:

I've added a new user to the sudo group successfully using the two different methods that follow. Is one method recommended over the other?

Example
    To add a user 'name' to sudo group

Method #1

adduser name sudo

Method #2

sudo nano /etc/sudoers

# User privilege specification

root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
    name ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
  • cactusneedlecactusneedle Registered
    Valtam wrote:
    1.0.6 Beta Review:

Am keeping this nice distro close to my heart waiting for the final to come out. Sincerely hope you will be adding the replacement for Remastersys into the final (SystemImager?). I notice you've left it out of this version because Remastersys has gone south. Or at least add it to the list of installers. I have a linux distro that has been discontinued so I've got my eye on this very easy to use yet efficient distro. Great Work.
    Scott wrote:

Hi Valtam,

Thanks for the reply.

Time permitting maybe you can comment on the following question:

I've added a new user to the sudo group successfully using the two different methods that follow. Is one method recommended over the other?

Example
    To add a user 'name' to sudo group

Method #1

adduser name sudo

Method #2

sudo nano /etc/sudoers

# User privilege specification

root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
    name ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

By far the simplest option is to: sudo adduser user sudo
    The second method should only be used as: sudo visudo

Cheers.
    Added to Help Manual, thanks Scott.
    Valtam wrote:
    Added to Help Manual, thanks Scott.

Thanks for the Help file addition, Valtam. Finishing 1.0.6 (final release) installation now. Congrats on a great release.