Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

How long have you been running your main install?

As an incurable distro hopper with 2 spare partitions and a bunch of virtualbox images. I am wondering what is your best install and how long have you used it.

So
What is your distro?
How long have you had it installed? ( no re-installs of same distro)
What problems have you over come to keep it?
Can you run all Linux distro community software that we use? ( Steam, Mumble and google talk plugin for Google+)

Me

My main right now is Netrunner ( Ubuntu kde4) My longest was Crunchbang installed a whole 4 months last year.
Used Gnome until #3 came out then switched to KDE4. Sometimes throw in Openbox for fun
2 weeks installed
no problems yet
Runs all software. Ubuntu base and repo's make that easy.

Comments

• My distro is Gentoo.
    I've had this install for over a year and the previous one for around 6 months of the same distro (I messed up).
    I've had some problems with ati/intel hybrid graphic cards but that's not technically related to Gentoo specifically, the ati drivers aren't that great.
    Yes, I can run pretty much everything and I have the advantage of being able to write my own packages if needed. I can also fetch from different overlays if needed.
  • AmosAmos Registered
    bartos wrote:
    As an incurable distro hopper with 2 spare partitions and a bunch of virtualbox images. I am wondering what is your best install and how long have you used it.

So
    What is your distro?
    How long have you had it installed? ( no re-installs of same distro)
    What problems have you over come to keep it?
    Can you run all Linux distro community software that we use? ( Steam, Mumble and google talk plugin for Google+)

Me

My main right now is Netrunner ( Ubuntu kde4) My longest was Crunchbang installed a whole 4 months last year.
    Used Gnome until #3 came out then switched to KDE4. Sometimes throw in Openbox for fun
    2 weeks installed
    no problems yet
    Runs all software. Ubuntu base and repo's make that easy.

I'm currently running Core 4.7.5. I've been running it since it came out around around the end of February - though my base install has remained pretty much unchanged over the past several releases (over a year). I fooled around with some different window managers a few months ago, but I always seem to come back to jwm.

Problems overcome to keep it?:No major problems so far - that's part of the beauty of starting small and adding what you want. :)

I haven't tried any of Steam, Mumble, Goofle Talk, Google+ so I can't say much about those. I do note that there is a google-talkplugin extension in the tcz repository.

Edit 2012/04/10: Oopsie!... There's another update... to 4.7.6 as of a day or two ago. The minor update wasn't for anything really of immediate importance to me, but there's no real downside to keeping current - only takes a few minutes to replace the initrd.
  • robgravesrobgraves DonatorDonator
    Donator
    my Gentoo, which is the main one I'm using now is 3 months old, Arch currently is about 6 months, Ubuntu is 12.04 which i i installed on release day, so about a year old, Windows 7 is as old as the machine, so almost 2 years now.