Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Anyone try a slice of Raspberry Pi?

RobbzRobbz DonatorDonator
So I have been hardware shopping and came across the Raspberry pi...

7513051848_9a6ef2feb8_o-1024x682.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Anyone have one, or know how well they work?

I would really love any first had experience

I know this is asking too much but would linux lite work on the pi?

raspberry_pi.png

Comments

• setkehsetkeh Administrator
    I havent got a Rpi but i have done allot of work with there hardware in vm's and the prebuilt distro's.

Linux Lite wont work on the Rpi as it has no ARM support you would need to port it over.

I have a video on youtube that will show you how to take the RPi for a test drive before you buy one :)

<< is the video i was refering too

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• RobbzRobbz DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Ty setkeh. I will be test driving it for sure!

Also how difficult would it be to port linux lite to Rpi?
    well AFAIK ubuntu doesent have an ARM kernel so yould need to do allot of kernel cross compiling the you would need to cross compile the distro to make it work right its not terribly difficult but can be fairly painfull.

Wisdom:

• aktsakts Registered
    Hey, doesnt arch support arm. Also there is livarp version for this, if you get too adventurous :D
  • capriditoricapriditori DonatorDonator
    Donator
    I've a few :P

2013+-+1
  • yubasinyubasin Registered
    akts wrote:
    Hey, doesnt arch support arm. Also there is livarp version for this, if you get too adventurous :D
    Developer	Raspberry Pi Foundation
    Type	Single-board computer
    Release date	29 February 2012[1]
    Introductory price	US$ 25 (model A) and US$ 35 (model B)
    Operating system	Linux (Raspbian, Debian GNU/Linux, Fedora, and Arch Linux ARM)[2] RISC OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Plan 9
    Power	2.5 W (model A), 3.5 W (model B)
    CPU	ARM1176JZF-S (armv6k) 700 MHz,[3] Raspberry Pis can dynamically increase clockspeeds, and some can temporarily reach speeds up to 1 GHz.[4]
    Storage capacity	SD card slot
    (SD or SDHC card)
    Memory	256 MByte (Model A)
    512 MByte (Model B rev 2)[5]
    256 MByte (Model B rev 1)
    Graphics	Broadcom VideoCore IV[3]
    Website	www.raspberrypi.org

I have finally got one (had for a short wile)

Yes there is a Archlinux Arm Port for the Rpi (Can obtain from rpi foundation website)

Works great but one thing to make sure you have a a decent 5V charger at 1-2A MINIMUM
    A PHONE CHARGER WONT DO IT (Unless your running it headless with no USB Devices then 700Ma-1A should do it)

X can be fairly clunky on it if you dont power it right and its fairly finaky if something goes wrong

Wisdom:

• bartosbartos DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Got mine for my birthday yesterday. Came with Debian Wheezy
    lots of ideas for it.
    What do you guys use your for?

9071_10201572333453178_2105479728_n.jpg
    Oscailt wrote:
    I've a few :P

2013+-+1

What do you do with them?
  • robgravesrobgraves DonatorDonator
    Donator
    I still haven't entered the Rpi world yet, i should pick one up and start playing with it.
    Mine runs all my FPGA's for bitcoin mining ATM

IMG_20130603_140214.jpg
    Thats the stack of FPGA's i have 8 more of them arriving in 5 days.

IMG_20130603_130028.jpg
    The whole setup the Rpi is bottom middle of the image.
    Yes that HDD is plugged into the Rpi it has my OS and files on it because of unreliable SDCards.
    (only boot partition is on the sdcard rpi can only boot from sdcard)

It works well for that and it uses less power then one of those fpga's XD

screenshot-06.03.13-14.18.47.png
    Cgminer Running on the Rpi :)

Wisdom:

• SeanSean Registered
    I have one, but it's kind of useless because when on wireless it drops half of its packets and it can't connect to ethernet where it is located :<
    Sean wrote:
    I have one, but it's kind of useless because when on wireless it drops half of its packets and it can't connect to ethernet where it is located :<

You probably need to get a better wireless controller it wont be the pi's fault :P

Wisdom:

• capriditoricapriditori DonatorDonator
    Donator
    I use mine as a distcc cluster; for building an ARM binary overlay for Gentoo's Portage.
  • SeanSean Registered
    setkeh wrote:
    Sean wrote:

You probably need to get a better wireless controller it wont be the pi's fault :P

Actually it is a documented problem for a lot of people since inception, but hasn't been fixed yet.
    I honestly dont see how its the rpi's fault since it was never designed to have wifi.

also if its documented a link to said documentation would not go astray

Wisdom:

• SeanSean Registered
    That's equivalent to saying the Raspberry Pi wasn't designed to be used as a router, or use a small TFT screen, or be used as a NAS system, or mine bitcoins as you do. I'm not saying it is the foundations fault, but for whatever reason, the Raspberry Pi is responsible for dropping half of its packets.
    Sean wrote:
    That's equivalent to saying the Raspberry Pi wasn't designed to be used as a router, or use a small TFT screen, or be used as a NAS system, or mine bitcoins as you do. I'm not saying it is the foundations fault, but for whatever reason, the Raspberry Pi is responsible for dropping half of its packets.

You still have not proved that or supplied any information on it.

the Rpi uses linux and linux can use wifi with no issues.

The Rpi does not have a wireless controller built in
    the rpi was not built to bitcoin mine (like i do) i have custom installed software to make that possible using the rpi's built in USB Controllers.
    And if it dident work i couldn't blame the Rpi's Hardware for it.

I cannot Possibly see how the (Hardware) RaspberryPi can be responsible for your wifi dropping packets UNLESS your not powering it correctly or have something drawing allot of current out of the other USB port.

And thats not a hardware issue that a user error.

Wisdom:

• SeanSean Registered
    setkeh wrote:
    Sean wrote:

You still have not proved that or supplied any information on it.

the Rpi uses linux and linux can use wifi with no issues.

The Rpi does not have a wireless controller built in
    the rpi was not built to bitcoin mine (like i do) i have custom installed software to make that possible using the rpi's built in USB Controllers.
    And if it dident work i couldn't blame the Rpi's Hardware for it.

I cannot Possibly see how the (Hardware) RaspberryPi can be responsible for your wifi dropping packets UNLESS your not powering it correctly or have something drawing allot of current out of the other USB port.

...Well I didn't want to turn this into a troubleshooting session but if you insist...
    I have a 3A power supply and an Edimax EW-7811Un USB wireless device with driver support built right into the kernel. Also there is an external hard drive but the same thing happens with or without it. 3A is overkill even with the hard drive plugged in anyway.
    ifconfig (and some other ping test to www.google.com) reveals half of its RX packets get dropped. Whether the wireless device is plugged directly into the Pi or to the power supply itself, they both yield the same result. When looking at the forum I found out it is a known problem that's on the foundations todo list. some people have speculated these wireless devices are actually not losing packets but it is some other phenomenon that tricks the device into thinking it is losing packets. But that's not the case because things like connecting to a VPN, SSH, or VNC literally do not work because, well, half of its packets are dropping for an obscure reason (keep in mind all of this stuff works with ethernet just fine).

...But I appreciate you jumping to conclusions while calling me an idiot.

i did not call you an idiot and i would advise caution throwing accusations like that around.

i was simply looking for more info on the issue and explaining why i though your issue was not the rpi's fault.

Wisdom:

• SeanSean Registered
    setkeh wrote:

i did not call you an idiot and i would advise caution throwing accusations like that around.

i was simply looking for more info on the issue and explaining why i though your issue was not the rpi's fault.

I interpreted what you said as followed:
    You drew your conclusion by stating the only reason you could think the wifi was dropping was from insufficient power to the device. Ok, fine that's not a big deal. But then you said that must be my fault for not knowing better "And thats not a hardware issue that a user error". When somebody says to you that you don't know what you are doing it basically boils down to PEBKAC=stupid.
    The reason I am writing this is because you raised my warning level to 50% just because I was being honest. I even checked the rules of the forum and I couldn't find what I said to be inappropriate.

I dont see in here any accusation i see 2 Observations:
    1. I (setkeh) dont see how the raspberrypi cannot be responsible for packet loss unless your (this is a generalised statment) now powering it right
    2. And thats not a hardware issue thats a user error. << allot of newbie actually do think that incorrect power is a hardware fault and in some cases it is but in the case of the rpi unless one of the capacitors are damaged its generally a user issue.
    The reason I am writing this is because you raised my warning level to 50% just because I was being honest. I even checked the rules of the forum and I couldn't find what I said to be inappropriate.

1. The warning will go away (just fyi :D)
    2. Its generally not accepted anywhere to be saying something along the lines of "The admin called me and idiot" specificly when your OP's lacked allot of info and i was trying to gather more info by offering what i thought of your issue.

I guess the main thing here is we all have to remember were all from different country's that do / say things differently i was not trying to be rude /call anybody and idiot, as i said i was fishing for more info about the issue and offering my thoughts based on the available information.

Wisdom:

• SeanSean Registered
    Ok man, sorry for flaming a little bit, lets just move on. ;P
    Sean wrote:
    Ok man, sorry for flaming a little bit, lets just move on. ;P

Sounds Like a good plan :P

Wisdom:

• Hello Robbz,

I also have raspberry pi product. And i worked on a raspberry pi with linux project. It working well with and have no problem yet. I think, you go throw raspberry pi authorized site, you get some help.

Thank you
    Callietechno010