Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

RE: Distro recommendations

UmbraUmbra Registered
Can anyone recommend any distros that are 100% free of 'Trusted Computing' configuration items, drivers, modules, packages, etc., including kernel version used?

Comments

  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    If by the question you mean the Distro has non of the above then

    Arch
    Gentoo
    Debian

    Are all driver free from the ground up
    Arch and gentoo use 3.3.7 Kernel
    not sure about debian but i think its still 2.6



    Wisdom:

    One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

  • UmbraUmbra Registered
    setkeh wrote:
    If by the question you mean the Distro has non of the above then

    Arch
    Gentoo
    Debian

    Are all driver free from the ground up
    Arch and gentoo use 3.3.7 Kernel
    not sure about debian but i think its still 2.6

    Will look into this carefully! Do you know of any list of distros that have their own (customized?) kernel version?
  • Lyxer01Lyxer01 Registered
    It really depends from distro to distro if they include a custom kernal but most of the time its just stock standard. Mostly due because the devs want to keep things simple and support everyone who is using the distro. Although you can custom compile your own kernal if you so wish :P
  • UmbraUmbra Registered
    Lyxer01 wrote:
    It really depends from distro to distro if they include a custom kernal but most of the time its just stock standard. Mostly due because the devs want to keep things simple and support everyone who is using the distro. Although you can custom compile your own kernal if you so wish :P

    I already assumed those distros using a customized kernel would be the minority. From google searches it looks like there are over 300 distros. Other than researching each one, is there any way to find just those using custom kernel?

    It now looks like I must learn how to compile my own kernel, and looking into various options (like 'Linux From Scratch'). Even so, would still like to research the custom kernels used by the few distros having it, just in case, but sifting through 300+ distros is not practical.
  • Lyxer01Lyxer01 Registered
    Umbra wrote:
    Lyxer01 wrote:
    It really depends from distro to distro if they include a custom kernal but most of the time its just stock standard. Mostly due because the devs want to keep things simple and support everyone who is using the distro. Although you can custom compile your own kernal if you so wish :P

    I already assumed those distros using a customized kernel would be the minority. From google searches it looks like there are over 300 distros. Other than researching each one, is there any way to find just those using custom kernel?

    It now looks like I must learn how to compile my own kernel, and looking into various options (like 'Linux From Scratch'). Even so, would still like to research the custom kernels used by the few distros having it, just in case, but sifting through 300+ distros is not practical.

    Well im not exactly sure if theres a list out there with all the distros with custom kernals, its not a common feature for people to always be looking out for. Although on Distrowatch if you click on a distro of interest and look at the packages that are included you can tell what kernal is included.
  • To be honest, being online period is never truly secure. No matter if one ghost waves their ISP or blockades the signal. All we can do is truly believe open source is there for us and the developers dont sell us down the river
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    Well you dont need linux from scratch to compile a kernel you can do it on any distro

    why are you so hell bent on compiling a kernel there isent much benefit from it.

    but if your so hellbent on having a custom kernel the you can use gentoo it has a kernel configuration tool in it for use during the install prcoess it will make you life allot easyer for you compiling kernels by hand sucks and its not very efficiant you will cause more harm than good 95% of the time compiling by hand.

    Good Luck



    Wisdom:

    One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

  • setkeh wrote:
    Well you dont need linux from scratch to compile a kernel you can do it on any distro

    why are you so hell bent on compiling a kernel there isent much benefit from it.

    but if your so hellbent on having a custom kernel the you can use gentoo it has a kernel configuration tool in it for use during the install prcoess it will make you life allot easyer for you compiling kernels by hand sucks and its not very efficiant you will cause more harm than good 95% of the time compiling by hand.

    Good Luck

    Excellent point my friend!
  • Yeah I don't think you're going to find much more beyond what Setkeh pointed out to you.
  • UmbraUmbra Registered
    Lyxer01 wrote:
    Umbra wrote:
    Lyxer01 wrote:
    It really depends from distro to distro if they include a custom kernal but most of the time its just stock standard. Mostly due because the devs want to keep things simple and support everyone who is using the distro. Although you can custom compile your own kernal if you so wish :P

    I already assumed those distros using a customized kernel would be the minority. From google searches it looks like there are over 300 distros. Other than researching each one, is there any way to find just those using custom kernel?

    It now looks like I must learn how to compile my own kernel, and looking into various options (like 'Linux From Scratch'). Even so, would still like to research the custom kernels used by the few distros having it, just in case, but sifting through 300+ distros is not practical.

    Well im not exactly sure if theres a list out there with all the distros with custom kernals, its not a common feature for people to always be looking out for. Although on Distrowatch if you click on a distro of interest and look at the packages that are included you can tell what kernal is included.

    I had noticed that, but Distrowatch is not of much help, as it only tells what kernel version is used in each release, and it now looks to be impossible to get old releases (with say kernel version 2.6.30), as these seem to be actively removed from circulation. Used to be able to get them from Linuxcd.org, but now cannot even find download points thats not been disabled.

    As for finding out whether distro uses customized or stock kernel, Distrowatch may have that info buried in release notes (not sure), but sifting through 300+ release notes is not practical.

    Many thanks for your offer! Everytime I access books like 'Understanding the Linux Kernel', 'Linux Kernel Development', etc., more questions accrue, and will direct these as per your suggestion.
  • kherring7383kherring7383 Registered
    Being new to this forum, I would like to add Deepin 12.06 as a distro that others may like to try. It's built on top of Ubuntu 12.04 and comes fully loaded with Deepin's customized extensions. Other than that it seems like a fairly solid OS.
  • LinuxephusLinuxephus Registered
    setkeh wrote:
    Well you dont need linux from scratch to compile a kernel you can do it on any distro why are you so hell bent on compiling a kernel there isent much benefit from it. but if your so hellbent on having a custom kernel the you can use gentoo it has a kernel configuration tool in it for use during the install prcoess it will make you life allot easyer for you compiling kernels by hand sucks and its not very efficiant you will cause more harm than good 95% of the time compiling by hand. Good Luck
    I suspect that Setkeh has sold us all up river for the sake of Gentoo.
    I seriously urge this comment of his therefore accordingly be labeled as a serious security risk against LDC as a whole and thus report it as such.
    Sincerely: Me.
    -Unix Guerrilla Warfare Specialist™.-
    -Evolution Is Merely God's Way Of Performing An Upgrade™.-
    -Linux: Guerrilla UNIX Development... Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus™.-
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    Eh securitys risk LMFAO
    not my fault im awesome and can use gentoo and arch XD



    Wisdom:

    One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

  • LinuxephusLinuxephus Registered
    setkeh wrote:
    Eh securitys risk LMFAO
    not my fault im awesome and can use gentoo and arch [by choice] XD

    Indeed, and it also isn't my fault that I too, or anyone else for that matter with abit of research and patience, can learn to use Gentoo & Arch.
    Re: It's not my fault I'm awesome[rest] and can use LinuxMint12.
    Re: Re: It's not my fault the awesome[fullness] leads to the majority to choose avenues other than Gento and Arch.
    I could write a novel with this material, but methinks the point is well in hand.:cool:
    -Unix Guerrilla Warfare Specialist™.-
    -Evolution Is Merely God's Way Of Performing An Upgrade™.-
    -Linux: Guerrilla UNIX Development... Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus™.-
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    /me thinks you dropped the ball on that one XD your argument yeilds no sence and or nonsence.

    not my fault people dont choose gentoo or arch lol and always look for the easy way out :)

    i shall for ever and always be a linux god and thee shalt suffer under my reign XDXD



    Wisdom:

    One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

  • LinuxephusLinuxephus Registered
    Setkeh:" * setkeh thinks you dropped the ball on that one XD your argument yeilds no sence and or nonsence.
    not my fault people dont choose gentoo or arch lol and always look for the easy way out
    i shall for ever and always be a linux god and thee shalt suffer under my reign XDXD"
    -->>Linuxephus thinks Setkeh was hit in the head with the very ball that Linuxephus not only happened not to drop, but in fact happened to let go of from the second story balcony overlooking Gabroni Boulevard where Setkeh happened to indeed be standing whence the letting go of aforementioned ball beaned him in the nugget with a resounding Boink! <evil cackle>.
    Reading as how Setkeh's logic on the matter is clearly flawed for failing to see sense that was made from the nonsense.
    As indeed it's not your fault that people or the majority thereof take the path of least resistance seeing as the straight path betwixt point A and point B is always the shortest.
    Hence, the sense that is deriven from the nonsense at point C whilst you still remain at point A.
    Is it not better that one should intentionally remain several moves ahead in order to lead such to this very conclusion?
    But of course.
    Puny "linux god".:D
    I much prefer to be ludicrously amused by our musings versus suffering.
    However, I'll check my schedule for the next available opening for "suffering".
    LOLing.
    Until then, you stick with the Power Of Kick/Ban as a "linux god" and I'll stick with the Power Of Cunningly Clever.
    -Seriously Amused.-:P
    -Unix Guerrilla Warfare Specialist™.-
    -Evolution Is Merely God's Way Of Performing An Upgrade™.-
    -Linux: Guerrilla UNIX Development... Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus™.-
  • aktsakts Registered
    You might want to check

    opensuse: http://www.opensuse.org/en/

    If you dont mind check hurd too, its not linux, but its free-software(yeah I didn't use the word "OpenSource :)").

    This is the original implementation of HURD: http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html
    and this is archified here :) http://www.archhurd.org/
  • akts wrote:
    You might want to check

    opensuse: http://www.opensuse.org/en/

    If you dont mind check hurd too, its not linux, but its free-software(yeah I didn't use the word "OpenSource :)").

    This is the original implementation of HURD: http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html
    and this is archified here :) http://www.archhurd.org/

    There is a difference between free software and open source software, the linux kernel is open source but not free software for example.
  • PingCastsPingCasts Registered
    Setkeh if you're referring to make menuconfig I think that can be done on any distro as long as you have the ncurses libraries
  • Right, which is correct. But every single package on that distribution is compiled and given as a binary with a given preknowledge of what parts of the kernel are disabled/enabled. A small mess up during the compilation of the kernel not knowing what exactly you're doing will cause some/most/all applications not to run anymore not to mention drivers, hardware etc...
  • capriditoricapriditori DonatorDonator
    Donator
    As has been stated, if your looking to compile your own kernel, the best choice is to use a Gentoo based system.

    Gentoo is packaged with a very nice tool called 'genkernel'. It automatically detects your hardware and generates a configuration script, for use when compiling your own kernel.

    It's really not something I'd advice however unless you have extensive prior knowledge of the Linux ecosystem. Although It's possible to do it just 'off the bat', it will be rather difficult and time consuming to do so.

    Even I myself as a Linux developer tend to use 'genkernel' as a base.
  • darry1966darry1966 Registered
    Yeah I don't think you're going to find much more beyond what Setkeh pointed out to you.

    True except to say Debian especially through their synaptic package manager will allow you to change your kernel and associated files and handle updates.
Sign In or Register to comment.