Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Improvements Needed to Make Desktop Linux Mainstream

RedSoxFanRedSoxFan Registered
edited February 2017 in Suggestions Forum
While I agree that it would be great if the whole world, or at least a big chunk of it, used Linux , but that’s going to take a while. For desktop Linux to get any significant market share, it has a long way to go in terms of usability (for normal people). If you’ve got any suggestions of your own, feel feel to tack them on.

Here’s what I’ve got so far:
Changing the startup sound should be easier
Repositories should be refreshed on a regular basis (daily, hourly)
You should be able to rename a file just by slowly double clicking, just like you can on Mac and Windows
Every Linux distribution should have the option of using proprietary drivers as part of the installation
You should be able to type special characters the same way you can on a Mac (hold down key, options appear onscreen)
It should be a lot easier to install new desktop environments
Tweak tools should be included in the distribution
Every Linux distribution should include the option of installing proprietary codecs as part of the installation
Every Linux distribution should support mice with two extra buttons (for moving back&forth through web history) OOB
It should be a lot easier to connect to a Windows domain

Some of the things I’ve listed include the use of proprietary software. The thing is, if you work with people who aren’t developers, you’re going to have to use proprietary software at some point. I realize the open source community doesn’t want to use any proprietary software, but sometimes such a stance is either impractical or extremely inconvenient, especially when it comes to hardware drivers.

Regarding proprietary codecs: People aren’t going to switch to Linux if they can’t play their audio and video files “out of the box”, and most folks don’t know that the codecs can be installed later or how to go about it, which can make this a huge impediment to mass adoption. Sure, people can convert their media files to open-source formats, but they’re not going to do that when they’re just trying out the operating system; that’s something they’ll take care of after they’ve been using Linux for a while and have gotten into the FOSS philosophy enough to be willing to convert all of their audio and video files to covert their media files to libre formats like FLAC and x264.

Linux may be the OS of the future, but it needs to be easier to use before it’ll gain mass adoption.

Feel free to comment or make additions.

Comments

• irishluck83irishluck83 Administrator
    I personally think that Linux is still fragmented. There is too much going on in many places at the same time and there is no unity. Once we can attain some unity we won't get the majority of the market shares.
  • KDGKDG Registered
    edited February 2017
    ubuntu got unity :awesome: have u tread it ; p

IRC nick Name:             KDG
    Mumble nick Name:      KDG

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub
  • DanDDDanDD Registered
    The only thing needed to make Linux mainstream, is to sell computers in the stores with Linux pre-installed. Yes, computers from ZA Reason or System 76, etc are fine, but it would be so much easier to just go to a store, and be able to find a computer with Linux already installed.