Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Linux on ASUS Computers

Hello... I am thinking about buying a new desktop...an ASUS desktop... I have called and sent inquiries...etc... and I can not get a firm answer...does anyone have an ASUS computer (desktop is more specific) that is running a linux os.... thanks Keller

Comments

• CoastieCoastie Registered
    I have an ASUS M32BF-US001S A10 12GB 2TB W8.1 desktop PC and run Linux Lite on it, currently 3.0. I had to call ASUS to explain how to legacy boot instead of UEFI. They were very helpful. Unless you want to pay more for a computer with pre-installed like System 76, you will probably have to deal with UEFI.
  • KDGKDG Registered
    :+1: + for non UEFI system :+1:

IRC nick Name:             KDG
    Mumble nick Name:      KDG

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub
  • figosfigos Registered
    Unless you want to pay more for a computer with pre-installed like System 76, you will probably have to deal with UEFI.
    if you mean youll have to switch to legacy boot yes... your odds are better with a windows 8 machine than a windows 10 one, since x86 machines for windows 10 no longer require a legacy mode. (windows 8 machines require secure boot being optional, but only on x86.) i know this is about legacy vs uefi, not secure boot, but it usually works out because theyre related (even though theyre not the same.)
  • jcjordyn120jcjordyn120 Registered, Banned
    I've had problems getting Linux to work on a ASUS Laptop, the keyboard hotkeys would not work.
    Jordyn (The Linux Geek)
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator

I've had problems getting Linux to work on a ASUS Laptop, the keyboard hotkeys would not work.

You can Rebind these in you WM/DE configuration.

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• jcjordyn120jcjordyn120 Registered, Banned
    edited October 2016
    setkeh said:

You can Rebind these in you WM/DE configuration.
    Last time I tried it didn't work, the kernel didn't detect that I was pressing the key
    Jordyn (The Linux Geek)