Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

World of Warcraft and other Blizzard games

if anyone here plays on the NA Dalaran shard on the alliance side, For sure hit me up, Erwindreith is my main, and Dragynbane#1540 is me on Battle.net. hell, even if someone plays any of their current games save Overwatch, or the classic StarCraft Brood War or Warcraft 3, feel free to hit me up in Battle.net for a quick set of games on any of them. And yes, this technically constitutes as "Gaming on Linux" since every Blizzard game save for Overwatch runs fine in Wine (or DOSBox for the really old ones, which I don't own).

--c_smith

Comments

• strivestrive Registered
    Warcraft runs fine on Linux?? I would completely ditch Windows if that's the case. I'll attempt to free up some time and create a toon on your realm. I'll add you on battle.net.
  • KDGKDG Registered
    Warcraft 3 Work Perfect ! :)

IRC nick Name:             KDG
    Mumble nick Name:      KDG

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub
  • strive said:

Warcraft runs fine on Linux?? I would completely ditch Windows if that's the case. I'll attempt to free up some time and create a toon on your realm. I'll add you on battle.net.

I haven’t gotten it working in Linux, because Mac OS is still my main OS. I’ll use Linux as my main OS when my 2011 MacBook Pro stops working. Normally, I wouldn’t even consider Linux, but I’ve seen Apple’s hardware from the last few years, and it doesn’t look good. Macs from 2013 and later are non-upgradeable and non-repairable, which makes them a terrible value for the money. It used to be you could buy a Mac and keep it for 5-10 years, and you could upgrade it to make it last longer, and you could replace a broken part (i.e. wireless card). But now, all components are soldered the motherboard and the battery is glued in. And I’d really like to avoid having to go back to Windows. I’ll troubleshoot it, but I’m not going back to Windows, especially with the malicious Windows 10.

But I’ve seen some YouTube videos about this, and I found out that you just have to install Battle.net through PlayOnLinux. Then you just let it install your Blizzard games. Though, I’m not sure about the performance hit. The video I saw showed pretty pathetic performance, but I think that’s just because the guy was recording and playing the game simultaneously, possibly on a low-spec machine.
  • KDGKDG Registered
    i run right now wine 1.8 for WC3 on my Mac.
    wine+with PlayonMac ~~ ala Playonlinux...

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub
  • KDGKDG Registered
    warcraft 3 SaveGame & LoadGame is borken in my wine version...

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub