Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

What! No Slackers?

sidzensidzen DonatorDonator
Haven't even tried Salix?  I can't believe it!

Try out the new Slacko64 6.3.0 at the least and post your impressions of the first 64-bit Puppy Linux based on Slackware.  Plz! 

Comments

• irishluck83irishluck83 Administrator
    Thanks for the link!
  • DanDDDanDD Registered
    I tried Salix OS before, and it wasn't bad, but never tried Puppy though.
  • sidzensidzen DonatorDonator
    edited November 2015 Donator
    You're welcome for the link. Personally, I've been having a good day.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!
  • NickNick Registered
    Slack 14.0 3.2.29 . getting the feel for slack builds . www.slackbuilds.org
    14.1 is as high as they go. Started on slack 3.1 ahh floppies galore.still love the stability it makes me feel i earned the right to Play ;) (Windows interlude off and on) Suse. xp.vista. slack14.0 here to stay . I am Proud to see Puppy based on Slackware does my heart good. Still learning . always learning =)
    Thanks for a great site!
  • jankieljankiel Registered
    I installed Slackware (don't remembered version) on Virtualbox few years ago, but have no time to explore and enjoy it - i hope i will do it in near future, I think I used to like it - unfortunately, I havent managed myself to do it during the Christmas holidays.
    So, few questions - what is default DE/WM on Slackware, is it stable or rolling, and if stable, how often the software packages are updated? I heard about slackbuilds, it seems to be something like Archbuild from Arch?
  • JayViiJayVii Registered
    I ran Slackware 14.1 for a few months.
    A few weeks back, when Slackware 14.2 was announced, I also tried Slackware's "-current" Branch for two weeks, until i switched again (mainly because of incompatibility of most slackbuilds).
    Might give it another spin, when 14.2 is actually out :)
  • L0aD1nGL0aD1nG Registered
    I am thinking very seriously to switch after many years from Debian to Slackware...
    As a slackware user what would you suggest as benefits of this distro?
  • KDGKDG Registered
    think no one... if u a nooby :)

IRC nick Name:             KDG
    Mumble nick Name:      KDG

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub
  • jcjordyn120jcjordyn120 Registered, Banned
    I really don't like slackware. You have to manually get dependencies. Thats just not my type of distro.
    Jordyn (The Linux Geek)
  • We're all dead, dead in the bed
  • figosfigos Registered

You have to manually get dependencies.

yeah i have to do that sometimes, but thats for my own remastered iso. when im actually using it, i can apt-get at least in refracta mode. updating puppy to the point where apt-get works as expected, not easy. but isnt there a package manager of some kind for slack, even one based on apt syntax? slapt-get? they still have that?
  • jcjordyn120jcjordyn120 Registered, Banned
    figos said:

You have to manually get dependencies.

yeah i have to do that sometimes, but thats for my own remastered iso. when im actually using it, i can apt-get at least in refracta mode. updating puppy to the point where apt-get works as expected, not easy. but isnt there a package manager of some kind for slack, even one based on apt syntax? slapt-get? they still have that?
    I've heard from @bulletfreak that slapt-get will break your system.

Jordyn (The Linux Geek)