Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Future of Linux

I would like to see your views on where you want to see Linux go in the next 5 years.

Comments

• darthlukandarthlukan Registered
    1. As a concept: Since it is (arguably) the most prominent Open Source project, I'd like to see the concept of Open Source become a household name, not just something that us geeks are consciously aware of.

2. As a market competitor: I'd like to see it become viewed as the viable competitor it is in desktop, mobile (standalone, as in, proper distros on mobile devices [Android doesn't count]), Enterprise, etc.

3. Leadership: I'd like it to be led the way it has been, by Linux Kernel Developers, The Linux Foundation, and the community at large, not by outside vendors and their pet projects (looking at you RedHat).

4. Optional Vendoring: There's a lot of talk about changing the way userspace is handled. Some people find it a pain to develop applications currently, what with various libc versions in-use out in the wild and the update headaches still in existence. There's been talk of sandboxing a-la Android, mounting containers that have the app and it's dependencies self-contained, as well as the "NixOS model".  These approaches should be targeted as options, not the default (which is what they're going for), so as to keep any distro flexible to the needs of administrators, desktop users, and enterprise implementations.

5. True Meritocracy: This one may seem unnecessary, but our overall community can be a toxic place (case and point, been in #archlinux lately and not read through the Arch Wiki before asking a question?) and that carries over into the various "cliques" of developers writing software for Linux and other *nix-based systems.  It's not necessarily the best ideas being implemented based on merit, it's ideas with enough push by people with strong opinions making maintainers feel the need to go with the idea or face more headache than they can deal with (see the systemd and devuan debacle).  That's not how a meritocracy works, that's damn near the definition of bullying.  Systemd was an idea, was its implementation the best idea? Maybe, but the whole thing looked more like a bullying tactic than the debate of a meritocracy which shrouded most of the positives that systemd provides.  Note: I'm using systemd as an example because as Linux users, it's fresh in our minds, but the very same could be said regarding, for example, clang vs gcc and many others.

6. Choice != Fragmentation: This has been a common argument and source of FUD for decades already and it needs to stop as it harms those both for and against Linux. Seriously, we need to get this one dropped so everyone can focus on the important stuff, namely, writing better software and providing a higher level of assistance to users.
  • DanDDDanDD Registered
    I would like to just for once, see a computer in a store that had Linux pre-installed.  It may or may not have been done before, but I personally have never even once saw a computer in any store with Linux already on it.  If a computer can be bought with Linux already on it, it could possibly be a turning point to get Linux to a broader audience.  I know that there are places on the web such as Zareason where you can order a computer with Linux already on it, but it would be so convenient to just go buy a computer at any store.  Of course that would possibly open up another can of worms if the only Distro was for example Ubuntu that was available.
  • ChristianC123ChristianC123 DonatorRegistered, Donator
    edited June 16 Donator

This question could be answered in a couple of ways. The future for Linux is bright as a server and phone/tablet OS. Even Microsoft now has a Linux distribution for cloud use. Android has perhaps the predominant market share in smartphones.
    As far as what we expect to see in future Linux Kernels would be support for new devices and hardware ,additional File systems, security enhancements.
    If we look at Fedora we can see the what might be in Red Hat Linux in a couple of years. This would include Gnome updates, replacement for X-Windows (Wayland) and a replacement for yum (def).
    In my opinion, future of Linux is very bright as Servers. I think there is nothing like Linux for Servers and Embedded OS.Unix is the base of Mac OS and all versions of Linux. If you have good command on Linux it is always better.GUI based OS like Windows, Linux GUI and Mac GUI provides usability but limits the scope of operating system.

Regards,
    Christian
    https://clouddesktoponline.com/