Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

How-to: Install Mocp music player

Hello all :D

In this Little Tutorial i'm going to show you how to install a nice little music player that runs in any terminal, that music player is Mocp.

Mocp is a Terminal music player that uses ncurses to display the Mocp on your screen. it plays all your .mp3, .ogg, .wav, any plenty more.

Now as a warning i cannot guarantee that Mocp will work with encrypted media files. For me i cannot currently play .m4a files, .acc files and any other type of closed source media file. Sense Mocp uses ffmpeg i have heard that it can do decryption's on those types of files, but i am not sure. Please, if you know a way Please tell in the post section down below!

Now lets start Installing Mocp :D

Please follow the Code lines below.
Sudo apt-get install mocp

Next do...
Sudo apt-get install moc-ffmpeg-plugin

These Packages will supply you with the basic needs to run mocp with out a hitch.

Once installed you should be able to run Mocp in terminal and you should end up with something like this...

cso0H.png

By default the looks of Mocp look horrible, makes you want to barf all over your screen :P

So we are going to change that ugly theme with something nicer.

In your File manager or Terminal please go to...
/usr/share/doc/moc/examples/

When you go into the directory you should see a file called config.example.gz, drag it to your desktop or where ever you want it and extract it.

Then you should have a file called config.example, rename it to...
config

Now move the config file to the following directory below.
~/.moc/

Then you should be able to edit the appearance and other settings more.

Now we can finaly change that ugly theme, in this case we are going to make the background transparent.

Open the config file with any editor and scroll down to line 137, there should be a line that says the following...
# XTermTheme		= transparent-background

You want to make it look like this...
XTermTheme		= transparent-background

And the next time you start up Mocp you should have something like this...

EqSKr.png

Now you are done :D

For more info, Here is a link on Mocp, it will tell you how to move around, and how to play music, configure settings, change themes, and plenty of other things.

http://polishlinux.org/apps/cli/moc-console-audio-player-for-linux/

If you have any questions or any suggestions to make this thread better please post down below.

Hope you enjoy your new music player :)

Comments

• ValtamValtam Registered
    I love terminal apps, thanks Lyxer, definitely on my list to try!
  • yugnipyugnip DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Perked my interest. I'll give it a go.
  • ZooseZoose Registered
    yeah, i actually came across mplayer2, and have been using pyradio. this is interesting! thanks OP!
  • I think I might try it just for the hell of it sometime tonight after work. I don't quite understand terminal apps but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with em ;)

It looks like something my friend has on one of his Arch machines. I think he's rockin' the default theme.
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    :D this looks great
    im more partial to MPD (Music Player Deamon) And ncmpcpp (the terminal client) because when im woking in many terminals i can close ncmpcpp and the music will still play so i free up terminal real estate on big jobs :Di throw up a new thread with my MPD and Ncmpcpp conifg for all to browse :D

I love linux soo many ways to do it :D

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• Lyxer01Lyxer01 Registered
    setkeh wrote:
    :D this looks great
    im more partial to MPD (Music Player Deamon) And ncmpcpp (the terminal client) because when im woking in many terminals i can close ncmpcpp and the music will still play so i free up terminal real estate on big jobs :Di throw up a new thread with my MPD and Ncmpcpp conifg for all to browse :D

I love linux soo many ways to do it :D

Mocp can also shut down and still play music in the background while your working on something else! But i have not tried MPD or Ncmpcpp so once i get the time i will give them a try :)
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    Sweet :D i will have have to give mocp a try aswell :D

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• yugnipyugnip DonatorDonator
    Donator
    I ended up trying CMus instead. It's basically the same thing, and of course plays everything under the sun.
    sudo apt-get install cmus

I did not install the recommended packages as I understand there are bugs.

4nygi.png
  • robgravesrobgraves DonatorDonator
    Donator
    I was originally using cmus, I've switched to mocp lately, i have to say i'm liking it, although i don;t really think it offers aqnything beyond cmus, that i've seen so far anyway
  • Is "mocp" the same as "moc"?

• robgravesrobgraves DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Is "mocp" the same as "moc"?

yes, it's actually called moc, its just mocp is the command to run it.