Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

To Irishluck (and Other I3/Tiling Manager Users)

DanDDDanDD Registered
edited May 2015 in General
I know you love I3, and that is fine.  I've seen several screen shots of I3 from you and a few others.  To me it looks like just a bunch of advanced terminal commands, and I suppose there is a reason to use it, but I have no clue with Tiling managers, and I really don't see the point in using them.  I tried Ratpoison and couldn't make any sense of it at all, and made a thread about it sometime ago.  Can you even see a real website using them?  That was probably a totally stupid question, but the screen shots from you and others using I3 make absolutely no sense to me at all.  Can you clarify the reasons why I3 is such a great Windows Manager.  Just asking.  I suppose I would like it if I knew what I was looking at when I see it, but for now, I have no idea whatsoever.  Just trying to learn about I3 or any other Tiling Manaager.

Comments

• morning_starmorning_star DonatorRegistered, Donator
    Donator
    it's an aquired taste tiling ... you can totally use gui apps and i do a few ... not many though but its possible the idea of tiling is most window managers you spend time aligning and resizing windows where as a tiling wm does that for you in one way or another and doesnt clutter your  desktop with bling and window decorations ... hope this helps

Yesterday I went on a walk and saw a little chipmunk sitting on a log.   I went over and asked the chipmunk what he was doing there.  He looked up at me with his little eyes and now i only have one leg.

Sourceforge
    Github

• AdrianKoshkaAdrianKoshka Registered
    you don't HAVE to use terminal applications to use a tiling wm, just putting it out there, I use alot of GUI applicatoins and use i3

github: https://github.com/AdrianKoshka
    toxid: AFC5AE6CB1436832EC72F20C5066E939FCE09BDD4A0B1AF4FCAE26190FEDCD6A6E415E3C6076

• irishluck83irishluck83 Administrator
    @DanDD i3/window manager are people who want to have light resources and try something new. I use i3 cause it gives me what I want. I can have 7 things on screen and still get work done without anything hindering me. It is easy on resources too. What you see in screenshot may be alot of terminal application but that is for people who want to dive down into the system and not use much resources. I also use gui apps and it doesn't take away from the experience. You should try openbox or e19 those are considered window managers. You may like them.
    Donator
    I don't want to take away from the questions @DanDD asked ... I think there is general curiosity about tiling and perhaps other users in future may find some info to answer thier own questions about tiling wms ... So I just wanted to say thanks for bringing this up and hope you got an answer to your question DanDD

Yesterday I went on a walk and saw a little chipmunk sitting on a log.   I went over and asked the chipmunk what he was doing there.  He looked up at me with his little eyes and now i only have one leg.

Sourceforge
    Github

• DanDDDanDD Registered
    @irishluck83, As a long time and currently ex Bodhi user, I really love E19, and I did the Openbox version of Manjaro for about 4 months, but I never tried tiling with them.
    edited May 2015
    I would try to use a tiling window manager. I suggest awesome, since it as pre-built in layouts. Let me know if you need any help.
  • DanDDDanDD Registered
    Awesome and I3 are both in my Synaptic Package manager, I might consider one of them.
    Donator
    @DanDD I would personally not suggest awesome for a first taste at tiling ... you need to be at least familiar with lua in order to work with awesomewm

I3 has a plain text config file and should be readable and lots of documentation about configuring it ... I know I am an awesomewm user but for some one just getting thier feet wet I would recommend I3

Sourceforge
    Github

• DanDDDanDD Registered
    @irishluck83, and @morning_star, I downloaded a distro just for guinea pig purposes to try I3 (I didn't want to try it on my main distros).  Total disaster.  I got an error message saying that I was missing something in the library, and some other error message.  It also said exit 127, and I couldn't figure out what to do with it.  I couldn't even log out of it to get to my original DE.  I ended up powering off VB.  When I logged back into the distro, I thought it would go back to my original DE, but the I3 manager came up again, and still I couldn't get it to work, so I gave up on it.  Eventually, I ended up deleting the guinea pig distro as well.  So much for my 1st and only try at I3.  Sorry.
    @DanDD...which distro was it?
    Donator
    well glad you gave it a go DanDD sounds like if i had that experience i may feel same.

Sourceforge
    Github

• DanDDDanDD Registered
    @irishluck83, it was SolydK, I probably wouldn't have kept long anyway, but I didn't want to use Q4OS or LMDE to try I3.
  • DanDDDanDD Registered
    Sorry to necrobump my own thread, but I just installed wmii, and I like it. Hardly an expert with it, but it doesn't seem too bad, and seems easy to use, and I can bring up almost everything I have on it, except, I'm not sure how to bring up a screenshot program for it.
  • KDGKDG Registered
    edited August 2016
    mabye try scrot?

[[ necrobump funny word :lol: ]]

IRC nick Name:             KDG
    Mumble nick Name:      KDG

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub
  • DanDDDanDD Registered
    I used Shutter. Yeah, Necrobump is a funny word, and I got a Necrobump badge called Typhoid Mary Necrobump Extraordinaire because of it.
  • KDGKDG Registered
    lol way to get badge lol

IRC nick Name:             KDG
    Mumble nick Name:      KDG

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub