Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Switch Window Manager/Desktop Environment on the fly

Hi!
I currently use Debian 7.6 Jessie, with XFCE 4.10.. but also installed i3 (because it's the shit!)

I'm still kinda clumsy with i3 so I'm slowly trying the get used to it.. Thus in some situations would like to use XFCE then some other time i3.

Is there a convenient way to switch between them without loosing my sessions? And how do programs like firefox handle the changing of the WM/DE? (e.g. switch from XFCE (open firefox, save xfce session) to i3, where i then start firefox "again")?

edit: forgot to mention that I use SLiM as my login manager

many thanks
daedalus

Comments

• setkehsetkeh Administrator
    There are FF addons that can store all your opentabs in a flat file and then open them all back up for there like tab grenade that will allow you to open up your tabs.

I hope that's what your trying to achieve :)

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• setkeh wrote:
    There are FF addons that can store all your opentabs in a flat file and then open them all back up for there like tab grenade that will allow you to open up your tabs.

I hope that's what your trying to achieve :)

Thanks for the hint with FF, that will come in handy some time.
    But that's not quite what I was asking - maybe I wasn't clear enough :)

How can I switch from XFCE to i3 and back again on the fly?
    e.g. In XFCE open up a terminal and simply start i3.. *tadaa* (that's not working as XFCE is using the tty or something like that)

thanks!
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    There is not really a way to do that because each session of a WM needs its own Xsession with its own requirements so restarting X11 is really the only way to switch between environments.

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• setkeh wrote:
    There is not really a way to do that because each session of a WM needs its own Xsession with its own requirements so restarting X11 is really the only way to switch between environments.

hmm.. ok, thank you for the information!
    So I'll have to logout and login again (using the other wm/de)..