Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Debian for Gaming

How many of you use Debian as your desktop daily driver? As someone who is mostly a Steam gamer I am curious if you find working with Debian to be pleasant for gaming. I'm sure Sid is probably the best but is using Debian Wheezy for gaming a viable possibility? Does it take a lot of additional work to get games working or does it pretty much run out of the box?

I'm just considering alternatives. :)

Comments

• I mainly use Debian on my rather old/weak notebook (some office core2duo, no graphics card/some on-board chip, 4GB RAM), thus gaming isn't really that much of an option for me there (have a gaming pc.. with windows for that)..

However I installed steam and CS:S once and it worked surprisingly well! I'm on Debian Jessie.

Depending on the hardware and the games you want to play you should be fine. I also think more and more games will be available for linux in future and the graphics driver should improve as well.
  • morning_starmorning_star DonatorRegistered, Donator
    Donator
    i am very interested to know what your findings are snowcrash as since ubuntu is ending thier 32bit i may switch to debian on the macbook ... would be interested to know how steam runs

Yesterday I went on a walk and saw a little chipmunk sitting on a log.   I went over and asked the chipmunk what he was doing there.  He looked up at me with his little eyes and now i only have one leg.

Sourceforge
    Github

• I will be sure to let you know how it works. Most likely I will start with testing and pin sid if I need to but as a sample I will try Wheezy and see how far I can get without pulling in a bunch of extra repos.

I'm going to start building the jessie install tonight. :)