Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

LXLE Need Help Fixing this...

Sorry guys it has been a long time since I've logged into give you an update on my progress.

About a month ago I installed LXLE 12.04 LTS 64 Bit onto my Desktop Computer. I try to use it whenever I can so that learn some new things. My observation is it works really well. I love all the great wallpapers that come with it. I like how it allows me to switch desktop configurations on log in. The only two downsides I ran it into with it is, once in a while it won't completely shut my desktop down. The other is when I copy files sometimes it seems slower then windows vista. Other times it seems the same or faster.

I want to take my two computers into a local computer shop. My mission is to find some external hard drive replacements. I want to be running LXLE as a test system when choosing the hardware. The last time I was there I showed LXLE Live, and the employers really enjoyed seeing it. In fact the one guy enjoyed it so much He decided to get into Linux.

When I took the desktop computer back I was hoping to have my LXLE desktop customized with some special effects like I've seen people online do with Compiz and Kwin. I tried compiz on it and for some reason it didn't work. I could only get wobbly windows and lost my maximize/minimize and close x on the windows. Next the administrator on the LXLE forums suggested I try compton instead. Today I gave it a go. The instructions: Compton (shadow effects and more) given to me by one of the members broke something. Now neither the Synaptic Package Manager or the Update Manger will work.

Do any of you know how to fix something like this?

comptonfail_zpsf1798a65.jpg

BigUpdateProblem_zps96f1ce26.jpg

Comments

• bartosbartos DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Looks like you need to edit your sources.list.
    Try using the GUI Software Sources, and uncheck the richardgvcompton-precice repo
    It will be under Other Software

Try that. If that can't come up you will need to edit your sources.list and comment out the repo with ##
  • Scott(0)Scott(0) Registered
    Hi Gregoryforlinux. Just wanted to mention there's a new LTS release of LXLE based on 14.04. While I don't use it personally I have helped others with it (the 64bit version) and it appears to be an excellent release.
  • bartos wrote:
    Try using the GUI Software Sources, and uncheck the richardgvcompton-precice repo

Try that. If that can't come up you will need to edit your sources.list and comment out the repo with ##

I don't see anything like that on this system. But I found a Y PPA manager and Removed richardgvcompton-precice. After a reboot that fixed the problem with Synaptic Manager and the Update Manager. I wonder if Compton can even be made to work on this system.
    Scott(0) wrote:
    Hi Gregoryforlinux. Just wanted to mention there's a new LTS release of LXLE based on 14.04. While I don't use it personally I have helped others with it (the 64bit version) and it appears to be an excellent release.

Hi Scott I'm aware of that. The other day I downloaded it and made a live DVD of it. What I decided to do is, perform all my experiments now, just in case I can't get it back. In the event that I can't get it back, then I'll just install 14.04. I'm going to Install 14.04 someday soon.

I'm trying to install Kwin. Also I wanted to tell you guys that I had my friend at the computer shop ask around about a linux group. He said that there was a local group that some of the past workers went too, but He wasn't sure if the group still existed or not. He finally got back with me and said that they didn't know of any, and suggested that I google it. Of course you guys helped me google it and we only found one 3 hours away from me. So I guess this means there isn't one around my area locally.
  • computerkid9computerkid9 Registered
    bartos wrote:

I don't see anything like that on this system. But I found a Y PPA manager and Removed richardgvcompton-precice. After a reboot that fixed the problem with Synaptic Manager and the Update Manager. I wonder if Compton can even be made to work on this system.
    Scott(0) wrote:

Hi Scott I'm aware of that. The other day I downloaded it and made a live DVD of it. What I decided to do is, perform all my experiments now, just in case I can't get it back. In the event that I can't get it back, then I'll just install 14.04. I'm going to Install 14.04 someday soon.

I'm trying to install Kwin. Also I wanted to tell you guys that I had my friend at the computer shop ask around about a linux group. He said that there was a local group that some of the past workers went too, but He wasn't sure if the group still existed or not. He finally got back with me and said that they didn't know of any, and suggested that I google it. Of course you guys helped me google it and we only found one 3 hours away from me. So I guess this means there isn't one around my area locally.
    Y PPA Manager is a GUI for adding PPAs to your Ubuntu based system.
  • bartos wrote:

Scott(0) wrote:

Y PPA Manager is a GUI for adding PPAs to your Ubuntu based system.

It also seems to be able to remove them as well.