Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Support Us

Top Posters

network-manager and dnsmasq errors

Hello everyone I'm new to forums, so I hope I'm doing this correctly
I've been trying out linux distros(ubuntu,mint,fedora,ect) on vmware to see wich one I like. However they all seem to have the same problem. when I check logs I get errors (syslog) dnsmasq cannot connect to socket 53, socket already in use,no upstream server. which I assume is causing dpkg errors. currently I'm testing linux lite 1.0.8 and the same problem persist. I could use some expert help.
however they all have the same thing in common "dnsmasq and network-manager errors
My sytem info is as follows
sony vaio doul core ts5600, 2g's ram, 140GB HHD 32 bit
host windos xp
guest(vmware) linux lite 1.0.8

Comments

• setkehsetkeh Administrator
    Did you install dnsmasq yourself ??

also can you please post some logs in [code] tags :D so we can get a better look into the issue

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• rickrick Registered
    setkeh wrote:
    Did you install dnsmasq yourself ??

also can you please post some logs in
    tags :D so we can get a better look into the issue
    [/quote]

sorry it took so long to get back to you, but to answer your ? No I assume it was on the distro.
    As I look at the log again, it seems the socket issue seems to be gone. There still are some issues with dnsmasq
    this a portion of syslog

Apr 18 14:59:33 lite NetworkManager[1184]: <info> DNS: starting dnsmasq...
    Apr 18 14:59:33 lite NetworkManager[1184]: <error> [1397847573.219513] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:393] update(): dnsmasq not available on the bus, can't update server
    s.
    Apr 18 14:59:33 lite NetworkManager[1184]: <error> [1397847573.219750] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:395] update(): dnsmasq owner not found on bus: Could not get owner o
    f name 'uk.org.thekelleys.dnsmasq': no such name
    Apr 18 14:59:33 lite NetworkManager[1184]: <warn> DNS: plugin dnsmasq update failed
    Apr 18 14:59:33 lite NetworkManager[1184]: <info> (eth0): writing resolv.conf to /sbin/resolvconf

I hope this will help[/php][/quote]

• setkehsetkeh Administrator
    hmm it looks like its one of two things.

There is an Issue in you current Build of DNSmasq (not super likely it will likely be fixed already)

The other thing could be Permissions i dont really use Networkmanager so im not 100% sure and i have never seen dnsmasq spit out any error resembeling that on my routers or DNS servers.

the only otherthing i can suggest is trying another network manager like wicd and see if you can connect while using it to manage the connection :)

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.