Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Hard drive useage in a pie chart?

InternalHardDriveSpace_zps92aaaad9.png

What program will show hard drive useage like this in a pie chart? I been looking for one but all I have found have too much detail. I just want a simple pie chart like this.

Comments

• The one you're looking for is baobob. You can install it on a debian based system with
    apt-get install baobob

You can also find more information about it in this article.
  • CoastieCoastie Registered
    Armageddon wrote:
    The one you're looking for is baobob. ...

Thanks but Disk Usage Analyzer (aka Baobab) and Firelight were the ones I was looking on at the Ubuntu Software Center.

They both have too much detail that I do not understand.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/images/article_images/72899_990x555.jpg

I am just looking for a simple pie chart.
  • I can't help you there then, if you didn't want pie charts I would've recommended ncdu. It's a terminal application that tells you exactly what you need to know without the need of charts at all.
    Armageddon wrote:
    I can't help you there then, if you didn't want pie charts I would've recommended ncdu. It's a terminal application that tells you exactly what you need to know without the need of charts at all.

I do want a pie chart but just a simple one that shows used and free space only like the one I posted. I do not understand Linux file system to understand the ones showing types of files.
  • ext4 does not show you type of files as Linux itself does not care about types and extensions per say. Those get left for the applications to manage, per application basis. I think you either meant permissions or directory names because what is shown in the picture you posted is just the directory hierarchy of Linux. Also the picture you just showed is baobab itself so I'm lost at this point at what you want.
    I installed Disk Usage Analyzer (aka Baobab) and Firelight from the Ubuntu Software Center. Firelight was the simplest so I removed Baobab.

Thanks.
  • pdqpdq Administrator
    Is the image from your first post your image? If you want what is in that image it looks to me like is Nautilus file manager.

Admin at Linux Distro Community, humble slave of LGC & lurker at GOL. [GitHub, Twitter, Steam]

pdq wrote:
    Is the image from your first post your image? If you want what is in that image it looks to me like is Nautilus file manager.

Yes the image from the first post was the program that I wanted identified.

My OS is Linux Lite and it uses Thunar. Will it show disk useage too?
  • pdqpdq Administrator
    Coastie wrote:
    My OS is Linux Lite and it uses Thunar. Will it show disk useage too?
    I'm not sure, myself I use dolphin file manager and Arch Linux but you can see what it looks like in thunar by right clicking any folder and then click "Properties" and this is what is showing in the image you posted of nautilus.

In dolphin it looks like:
    030730.png
    :)

Also on a sidenote, how i tend to check the size and freespace of my drives/devices is using the command:
    df -h

I know it's not a pie chart but is very quick and useful still.

Admin at Linux Distro Community, humble slave of LGC & lurker at GOL. [GitHub, Twitter, Steam]

Thanks.
    PCNetSpec wrote:
    IIRC, it's the Nautilus file manager's right-click "Properties" (Basic tab) dialog for a "Drive"

If I'm wrong .. well let's just say it's been a while since I used Nautilus ;)

But this seems to bear me out:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/348057/properties-window-basic-tab-pie-chart
    https://www.linuxdistrocommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1996

Looks like my question was answered in another post. I will just use Filelight. I am not messing with changing file managers in Linux Lite just for that.
  • PCNetSpecPCNetSpec Registered
    Sorry, new here and didn't see this topic.
    PCNetSpec wrote:
    Sorry, new here and didn't see this topic.

No problem. Thanks for the info. :cool:
  • wchouser3wchouser3 Registered
    There's an awesome program called "kdirstat" it doesn't give you a pie chart (or maybe it does, I dunno) but it will give you a map of the HD, so that if you feel as though your hd is filling up too fast, you can see what files are taking up the most space.