Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

I don't like Bashing Linux Distros But....

I've been worried that some of my posts may lead some to believe I am bashing or giving Linux a bad name on purpose. I assure you this is not the case. I am newbie looking for the right distro of me. The best way I know to do it is field test the distros that are appealing to me.

It has been surprising me that so many youtubers give Zorin OS a thumbs up for beginners. (Both Spatry and tostoday think it's great for those coming over from Windows)

My experience with using Zorin from day to day has been "mixed" As long as you don't try to customize it your pretty good (of course) But what I have found is the longer it's on my hardware the more it degrades. I'm not saying the core of it is going bad, but what they put on top of it does. Yesterday before shutting down, I noticed it was loosing some of it's snappiness.

I've been running Zorin OS 6 64 bit on this external hard drive for about a week or better now. It's been running pretty good aside from the issues that I've had with the swap partition. Those who have been reading my posts know what I'm talking about. Also I feel that the partition issue I brought on myself by trying to manually create a duel boot system.

With that said the guys in the IRC chats were great and they helped me get the main swap working again. As far as I can tell the system has been running good, though I wonder about something with the swap. dolphin_oracle and I have been discussing here: Lots of Trouble with System Freezes I haven't experienced any freeze ups since I posted that thread.

Today I booted up Zorin and found the background changed on me. I had a lighting wallpaper, and now it looks like this.

Backgroundmessedup_zps71bcb647.png

I've felt a little pressured by some members to give up on Zorin and switch to either Mint or Linux Lite. I've noticed that people's experience with Mint range anywhere from great to awful. In my experience Mint was the worse distro I ever tried. The very first Distro of Mint I tried died on me after updating it. I never seen anyting die as quick as I had Mint die on me. Believe me, because I once did something really stupid and it even it didn't do to me what Mint did to me that day.

Here is the story.
Going back to 2001 I decided to build my own computer. I bought some parts and constructed it like I was taught in Electronics Class. But I didn't have a job and therefor I cut corners where I could. I already had in my possession Windows 3.1, Windows 98 upgrade, and Windows ME upgrade. I pkunziped my Windows 3.1 system to the hard drive. Used a Windows 98 boot disk and used it to run the Windows 98 upgrade CD. Then I booted into Windows 98 to do the next upgrade. Most of you know that system like this is destined to crash and burn. But it took it a month to do so. Mint died in just one day! When I say died I mean the whole desktop became unusable for me.

I wasn't ready to give up on Mint, so I downloaded Mint Cinnamon 16 and tried it. It lasted for at least 3 days before it died too.

I've done hardware tests, including taking my computer to a professional to have it checked out. Everything seems to be fine with my hardware. And I'm doing MD5 checksums before I burn to DVDs.

Since I've had the worse experience with both Mint Cinnamon 14 and 16, I'm probably not going go on another Mint adventure.

With that being said. Here is what I think about Linux Lite.
Last night I ran the live dvd. It didn't feel as snappy as Zorin OS does, and it doesn't seem to come with as many programs as this Zorin does. Of course it's Lite, but I was expecting it to be a little more snappy since it's a lite distro.

Last night I also decided to try out Pinguy OS. I ran the live DVD and when I tried to log into my yahoo email, the @ button was replaced with " I'm not sure what that is about.

Comments

• Did you try Linux Lite? Also, about the Pinguy OS problem, try actually installing it and it might fix your problem.
  • plustwoplustwo Registered
    i would try different distros in a vm first before doing the actual install or dual booting. then will decide later which distro to dual boot with. IMHO. :cool:
  • I don't know how to do a VM.

UPDATE: False Alarm.

I was eating lunch when a theory came to me. Yesterday I was making a lot of screen shots. The screen shot program puts the screen shots in the Picture folder by default. For this reason I moved all the old screen shots and other pictures to another folder. That way I could see better what I was doing with the renaming of files. Apparently when I moved the wallpaper, Zorin's desktop couldn't find it. In Windows you can move the old wallpaper file because Windows makes a background copy, and uses it for the desktop. As soon as I moved the Lighting back and rebooted everything is fine.

WhatIdid_zpse6b17e9a.png

Pictureback_zps467d823a.png
    this might be a bit difficult to grasp at first but will be easier after going through it a couple of times. only if you are interested to get into virtualization technologies. here is a short video to install the application on M$ Windows. Warning: you need enough RAM & drive space, your processor must be able to handle Virtualization. then, if you are ready to dive in, only if you are interested about Oracle VirtualBox else IRC will also be able to assist.

:cool:
  • plustwo wrote:
    this might be a bit difficult to grasp at first but will be easier after going through it a couple of times. only if you are interested to get into virtualization technologies. here is a short video to install the application on M$ Windows. Warning: you need enough RAM & drive space, your processor must be able to handle Virtualization. then, if you are ready to dive in, only if you are interested about Oracle VirtualBox else IRC will also be able to assist.

:cool:

Thank you for sharing the Video. I downloaded it because I've been wanting to learn how to do that. Only I wanted to run my Virtual machine from Linux instead of Windows. It is Windows I'm trying to move away from.

I have an i3 processor, 4 gigs of ram. And this much internal Hard drive space.

InternalHardDriveSpace_zps92aaaad9.png

I don't think virtual boxes are a good test. In my experience most OSes degrade in speed over time. How long does one need it in a virtual machine to see this? I heard that no OS runs full speed in a Virtual box anyways.

I've been running Linux from an external hard drive and I do expect it to lag some. But I can tell the difference between how much speed I started out with verses how much speed I end up with.
    noted. my apologies to point you to an M$ video. I only run VMs max for 2 weeks just for testing different OS's.
  • ValtamValtam Registered

...With that being said. Here is what I think about Linux Lite.
    Last night I ran the live dvd. It didn't feel as snappy as Zorin OS does, and it doesn't seem to come with as many programs as this Zorin does. Of course it's Lite, but I was expecting it to be a little more snappy since it's a lite distro.

Running any distro off a Live cd/dvd is a poor indication of distro performance. Everytime you click something, open a file etc, it has to read the disc. True performance indicators/comparisons come from installing it to hardware then assessing their performance.
  • Valtam wrote:

...With that being said. Here is what I think about Linux Lite.

Running any distro off a Live cd/dvd is a poor indication of distro performance. Everytime you click something, open a file etc, it has to read the disc. True performance indicators/comparisons come from installing it to hardware then assessing their performance.

I agree with you.

I feel that I'm going to go to a different forum to write my next post. I feel terrible that I can't write anything good about Linux.

PS. By now your probably under the impression that I've always tried to install it to an external hard drive because I don't want to mess windows up. When I first started trying Linux I installed it directly to the internal hard drive and it was trouble. The thing is I need reliable computers in my home. From what I've seen so far Linux isn't that OS. I might continue trying Linux under a Virtual Machine. But I can't keep doing what I'm doing because it's too hard and too time consuming.
  • The thing is I need reliable computers in my home. From what I've seen so far Linux isn't that OS. I might continue trying Linux under a Virtual Machine. But I can't keep doing what I'm doing because it's too hard and too time consuming.
    [/quote]

I've found elementary OS Luna with Movie player removed and VLC as replacement and also Music removed and Clementine as replacement, to be 100% Rock solid,no hang-ups, no glitches. I'm a windows user from 3.1 days and have been using linux for about a year now, starting with Zorin. I've used / tried Linux Lite, Lubuntu, LXLE, Mint 13 among others. I have crunchbang on a really crappy spare laptop, but that's quite alearning curve! (Works really nice considering its age). My daughters and Mum all use Linux Lite and have no issues with it, It's my 2nd favourite, I just love eOS Luna, its just a tad snappier than LL and its really nice to look at, probably as it's more mac ish, thus giving me a obvious change from the traditional xfce type windows look?!

Try it

Good luck, I hope you find a distro that suits you, there is one out their with your name on it, it's just a matter of time / searching and you'll discover a gem, just right for you!
  • CoastieCoastie Registered
    Could not delete.
  • I've been running Linux for over 7 years and I found that Windows is the one that's unreliable. So when you generalize like that, I honestly don't know what you're talking about.
  • TibleTible Registered
    One of the main things you'll learn about linux is, no matter how "user friendly", you will have to get comfortable with the terminal. Once you master the terminal you'll likely have very little problems with your distros.
  • The thing is I need reliable computers in my home. From what I've seen so far Linux isn't that OS. I might continue trying Linux under a Virtual Machine. But I can't keep doing what I'm doing because it's too hard and too time consuming.

I've found elementary OS Luna with Movie player removed and VLC as replacement and also Music removed and Clementine as replacement, to be 100% Rock solid,no hang-ups, no glitches. I'm a windows user from 3.1 days and have been using linux for about a year now, starting with Zorin. I've used / tried Linux Lite, Lubuntu, LXLE, Mint 13 among others. I have crunchbang on a really crappy spare laptop, but that's quite alearning curve! (Works really nice considering its age). My daughters and Mum all use Linux Lite and have no issues with it, It's my 2nd favourite, I just love eOS Luna, its just a tad snappier than LL and its really nice to look at, probably as it's more mac ish, thus giving me a obvious change from the traditional xfce type windows look?!

Try it

Good luck, I hope you find a distro that suits you, there is one out their with your name on it, it's just a matter of time / searching and you'll discover a gem, just right for you!
    [/quote]

The day I installed AV Linux I also installed Linux Lite. I experienced a really curious issue with Linux Lite. I needed to type in my Wifi password so that I could get on my modem/router wirelessly. I tried typing it in 10 times and it wouldn't take the password. I didn't like how it wouldn't allow me to see this password since it's a really long code. Other distros I've been using has a little check box that allows you to see the password while your typing it in. Even Windows Allows you to see it. I tried opening up a text editor program and typed it in there. Then I coppied and pasted it in the Wireless Networking Box. It still wouldn't take it. I ended up reformatting the hard drive and trying another Distro. After I got done with that I spent the rest of the week repartitioning that Hard drive and performing slow formats in Windows. The goal is to make sure the hard drive is still working right with no errors. Everything seems fine with it. I suppose I'll give Linux Lite one more shot. But if it won't take my wireless password I'm not going to use it.
  • wchouser3wchouser3 Registered
    hey Greg....what's up

I was reading your earlier posts where I noticed you said you didn't know how to use a VM. With Windows, it's as easy as going to the Oracle website, download the program, install, and use. In most cases, all you need to know is what distro your distro is based on (for example, Zorin is based on Ubuntu) Keep in mind, VMs do not give you a good idea of how well the distro will perform at the hardware level. That's just the unfortunate side-effect. But it does give you a good idea of whether or not the distro will work in terms of included software and such. Then once you get some experience, you can install Arch (lol) and basically build your own distro. (do that a few times on a VM before you try it on your machine)
  • I've been worried that some of my posts may lead some to believe I am bashing or giving Linux a bad name on purpose. I assure you this is not the case. I am newbie looking for the right distro of me. The best way I know to do it is field test the distros that are appealing to me.

It has been surprising me that so many youtubers give Zorin OS a thumbs up for beginners. (Both Spatry and tostoday think it's great for those coming over from Windows)

My experience with using Zorin from day to day has been "mixed" As long as you don't try to customize it your pretty good (of course) But what I have found is the longer it's on my hardware the more it degrades. I'm not saying the core of it is going bad, but what they put on top of it does. Yesterday before shutting down, I noticed it was loosing some of it's snappiness.

I've been running Zorin OS 6 64 bit on this external hard drive for about a week or better now. It's been running pretty good aside from the issues that I've had with the swap partition. Those who have been reading my posts know what I'm talking about. Also I feel that the partition issue I brought on myself by trying to manually create a duel boot system.

With that said the guys in the IRC chats were great and they helped me get the main swap working again. As far as I can tell the system has been running good, though I wonder about something with the swap. dolphin_oracle and I have been discussing here: Lots of Trouble with System Freezes I haven't experienced any freeze ups since I posted that thread.

Today I booted up Zorin and found the background changed on me. I had a lighting wallpaper, and now it looks like this.

Backgroundmessedup_zps71bcb647.png

I've felt a little pressured by some members to give up on Zorin and switch to either Mint or Linux Lite. I've noticed that people's experience with Mint range anywhere from great to awful. In my experience Mint was the worse distro I ever tried. The very first Distro of Mint I tried died on me after updating it. I never seen anyting die as quick as I had Mint die on me. Believe me, because I once did something really stupid and it even it didn't do to me what Mint did to me that day.

Here is the story.
    Going back to 2001 I decided to build my own computer. I bought some parts and constructed it like I was taught in Electronics Class. But I didn't have a job and therefor I cut corners where I could. I already had in my possession Windows 3.1, Windows 98 upgrade, and Windows ME upgrade. I pkunziped my Windows 3.1 system to the hard drive. Used a Windows 98 boot disk and used it to run the Windows 98 upgrade CD. Then I booted into Windows 98 to do the next upgrade. Most of you know that system like this is destined to crash and burn. But it took it a month to do so. Mint died in just one day! When I say died I mean the whole desktop became unusable for me.

I wasn't ready to give up on Mint, so I downloaded Mint Cinnamon 16 and tried it. It lasted for at least 3 days before it died too.

I've done hardware tests, including taking my computer to a professional to have it checked out. Everything seems to be fine with my hardware. And I'm doing MD5 checksums before I burn to DVDs.

Since I've had the worse experience with both Mint Cinnamon 14 and 16, I'm probably not going go on another Mint adventure.

With that being said. Here is what I think about Linux Lite.

Last night I also decided to try out Pinguy OS. I ran the live DVD and when I tried to log into my yahoo email, the @ button was replaced with " I'm not sure what that is about.

FACEPALM! Why did you try running Linux Mint on a computer that was made to run Windows 98, that is just asking for trouble, why did you not use some thing like Minux or Freebsd or maby Linux Light?:-/:-/ That makes no sence at all. A computer that old is useless for modern work unless you upgrade the hardware, and it still would be anquited. Mint does not expect that its users will have outmoded hardware. Now if this issue happened on a computer that ran XP that would be understandible.Stop blaming Clem when your the one makeing a fool of your self running outmoded hardware. Again you were being super offensive.
  • wchouser3wchouser3 Registered
    I think he has more choices than that for this machine. You can still get some surprising performance out of a machine that old. You just have to get good at a couple of things. For one, leaving aside whatever distro you go with. Choosing LXDE, or Openbox (standalone) is your best bet. Don't even install a composite manager, and a little Kernel tweaking would surfice. In his case, I would definitely go with CrunchBang if you absolutely have to stick with the Debian distros, Lubuntu is also a good choice, but my two favorites would be either Archbang, or Manjaro Openbox. Either one of those two run on LESS than 100 meg of ram, but still offer a modern Operating system.