Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Important Question about settng up Swap Partition

I could of added this to a current thread I created. But I chose to make a new one because I feel that it will catch attention a little quicker.

I think it is a GREAT idea to use a page file instead of a swap partition. However I don't feel ready to try that just yet.

My question is when you set up a swap partition do you haft to flag it? I was wondering if I haft to flag it as boot or something else to get the Operating System to Use it. Or is it enough to just have it created as swap?

* I'm learning how to use Gparted.

Comments

• Flagging it as bootable will not change a single thing as it is not being booted at any time. If the OS is not installed yet and you're creating it from the installer than you're fine, it will be used if you tell it to use it. If the OS is already installed then you'll have to add it to /etc/fstab for it to be used.
  • Armageddon wrote:
    Flagging it as bootable will not change a single thing as it is not being booted at any time. If the OS is not installed yet and you're creating it from the installer than you're fine, it will be used if you tell it to use it. If the OS is already installed then you'll have to add it to /etc/fstab for it to be used.

Thank you :)

Since I'm a newbie I don't know what your talking about. :( I can't help but sound dumb when I need to also ask... "how do you do that?"

Next Question:
    After you got your swap partition set up, what happens to it when you install another distro as a duel boot? Does it take the swap partition away from the first OS or does it share it?

Google is your friend? Or your confused partner? Can you guys explain it better then these???? Cause as far as I'm concerned it looks like a mess. I got some things from ubuntu, some things from fedora and some things from arch.

Add swap partiiton manually?

Add swap partition entry in /etc/fstab

9. Setting Up Swap Space

Adding a new swap file. How to edit fstab to enable swap after reboot?

Swap

fstab

12.15. Adding Swap Space/Chapter 12. Configuration and Tuning

Gparted-swapon is not permanent
  • How do you do what exactly ? I didn't get that part.

SWAP is in layman terms "RAM on disk". It is used for caching by very few applications but generally it is a failsafe if your physical RAM get filled up by applications. As you can only boot one OS at a time, then you can use SWAP for all your OSes. SWAP loses its values after reboot so nothing on it is important after a reboot hence nothing can hijack it from something else.
  • Armageddon wrote:
    How do you do what exactly ? I didn't get that part.

SWAP is in layman terms "RAM on disk". It is used for caching by very few applications but generally it is a failsafe if your physical RAM get filled up by applications. As you can only boot one OS at a time, then you can use SWAP for all your OSes. SWAP loses its values after reboot so nothing on it is important after a reboot hence nothing can hijack it from something else.

I think I heard you on Spatry's Zoo Crew Pod Cast :)

How do you do what exactly ?

How do you add it to /etc/fstab. Can you do it through the GUI?

SWAP is in layman terms "RAM on disk"

I know that :)
  • I don't believe there is a GUI for fstab but it's an easy line to add.
    cat /etc/fstab

It should be similar to the following
    /dev/sdaX		none		swap		sw		0 0

Where sdaX is the partition.
  • Armageddon wrote:
    I don't believe there is a GUI for fstab but it's an easy line to add.
    cat /etc/fstab

It should be similar to the following
    /dev/sdaX		none		swap		sw		0 0

Where sdaX is the partition.

I'm not good with the Terminal yet. I doubt I ever will be. I struggle with a learning disability that effects me in all walks of life. I think Linux is a lot harder to learn then dos was. :/ I came to my conclusion after watching this series on youtube. Eli the Computer Guy - Introduction to Linux

I'm trying but It's hard.

I typed the first code you gave me and this is what it says.

zorin6-64@zorin664-Lenovo-G570:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    # / was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
    UUID=e339f864-aed0-4b64-b615-efb5104b0a93 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
    UUID=2ba97fa3-4837-464a-ba9d-96303b2d6fd9 none swap sw 0 0
  • I watched the video about Eli and he's done a lot of mistakes. He's not spot on on all of his information. Also it seems that you already have swap and it is enabled already. So there is nothing to worry about. I also said you can't use a GUI to configure it but that doesn't mean that you can't use a text editor with a GUI to do so.
  • Armageddon wrote:
    I watched the video about Eli and he's done a lot of mistakes. He's not spot on on all of his information. Also it seems that you already have swap and it is enabled already. So there is nothing to worry about. I also said you can't use a GUI to configure it but that doesn't mean that you can't use a text editor with a GUI to do so.

Thank you for watching some of the Videos. And you are correct He's not spot on about everything. IN fact I think that is part of our problem too. I've found a lot of people on youtube and in the forums that have good ideas about things... But is it spot on? Not exactly. I want to find some body or several people who are close to spot on most of the time. I think Spatry is really good but I haven't been able to get ahold of him directly. I understand why He makes it this way. He's be swamped in letters and emails. I joined His forum. It's ok but it's not extremely active. In fact I feel like most forums are not extremely active. Like, everyone is spread out into lots and lots of forums.