Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

My Zorin Complaint

I think I've said this before but I'm really new to Linux. However I've been playing around and using Zorin and Ubuntu for almost a year. In that time frame I've noticed some things that really bother me. I feel like a lot of people assume that I know more then I actually do. Or maybe the commenters have become lazy. I don't blame you for that, there is so much out there and it's hard to answer all the posts. But sometimes I just want a simple answer for an issue and the commenter decides that it would just be easier for them to give me a link some information and move on. That's well in good if the blog or article really answers my question. But in Linux it looks like all those blogs are full of additional information (too much information). What at first seemed like a simple problem with a simple fix has become a huge problem of wading through countless words and sub links just to find what it is I'm looking for. The Sad story of this is, I can wipe the OS and Re install it quicker then I can find what I need, comprehend it, and solve the problem. I am a long ways away from being able to build an Arch System. I've been hearing a lot about Systems like Arch, and I always feel like "I wish I could do something like that" But a little issue like this tells me that Arch will always be over my head. :(

I can't say it with confidence. But I think my issue is with a glitch in AWN

Comments

• pdqpdq Administrator
    Heya gregoryforlinux, I watched your video and read some of your recent posts here. While I'm happy you have taken the leap to linux I'm unhappy about some of your bad experiences. Having never used Zorin nor seeing it used very often in the community I cannot and do not recommend that distro to anyone. I would maybe suggest trying Linux Lite or Linux Mint. :)

Also I would invite you to join our IRC channel: http://www.linuxdistrocommunity.com/irc.html for a place to hang out and chat and also get/give advice from our members. The IRC or the mumble (voice chat) are usually the best places to get things done, at least in my opinion. :)

I would call most of those issues I had seen you post about here in other threads bugs either with Zorin OS or perhaps with specific applications such as you mentioned like AWN.

Welcome to the LDC. :)

Admin at Linux Distro Community, humble slave of LGC & lurker at GOL. [GitHub, Twitter, Steam]

• pdq wrote:
    Heya gregoryforlinux, I watched your video and read some of your recent posts here. While I'm happy you have taken the leap to linux I'm unhappy about some of your bad experiences. Having never used Zorin nor seeing it used very often in the community I cannot and do not recommend that distro to anyone. I would maybe suggest trying Linux Lite or Linux Mint. :)

Also I would invite you to join our IRC channel: http://www.linuxdistrocommunity.com/irc.html for a place to hang out and chat and also get/give advice from our members. The IRC or the mumble (voice chat) are usually the best places to get things done, at least in my opinion. :)

I would call most of those issues I had seen you post about here in other threads bugs either with Zorin OS or perhaps with specific applications such as you mentioned like AWN.

Welcome to the LDC. :)

Thank for the welcome :) and I look forward to joining the chats, as soon as I get the IRC client figured out.

I downloaded some how to videos from youtube on xchat.

I've been thinking about trying Linux Mint again, but believe it or not, I've experienced two extreme crashes with Mint which lead me to testing my Memory, taking my laptop into the shop to get my mouse pad fixed, and last week I had to work on my external hard drive (firmware updates and all sorts of extensive tests) With all my problems it's taken me over a week and half to get a Linux Distro up and running. Many of these problems have nothing to do with Linux it's self but I can't tell for sure what problem could of been with Mint. Mints stable version 13 has got problems with some missing urls in it's updater. Until they get that fixed I wouldn't recommend mint to any beginner. They are making the user edit some file that I don't know where is at, to get it working right. I think for now I'm going to stay away from anything that requires me to do too much editing just to get a small updater to work.
  • Since I posted this, I've come across some videos I found helpful. However neither one solved the big problem I had. They do, however, explain AWN. The Last guy shows some issues He has with the Zorin alteration to AWN.

* In the Zorin Forums I was advised to reinstall AWN, as a quick fix. He told me how. Of course by the time He got around to telling me how, I already did a complete OS reinstall.

Help Ubuntu!: Using the AWN Dock (Slightly Advanced)

Zorin OS Panel: Autohide Tutorial And Some Issues

I'm probably going to try Linux Lite Next. :)
  • I am currently downloading both Linux Lite and Pinguy OS but I'm not giving up on Zorin just yet.

TryingOS_zpsaddc5ad2.png
  • yeah you actualy did not give us that much to work with. For one has this issue happened on Zorin os 8? If not then try out 8 and tell us if it does? Hm does not happen in zorin 8 so you might want to upgrade to that and next time record the problum in action so we have a bigger clue. I have never heard of an issue like this on Zorin before.
  • yeah you actualy did not give us that much to work with. For one has this issue happened on Zorin os 8? If not then try out 8 and tell us if it does? Hm does not happen in zorin 8 so you might want to upgrade to that and next time record the problum in action so we have a bigger clue. I have never heard of an issue like this on Zorin before.

All the issues I posted about happened to me on Zorin 6 LTS. I've since thrown away the Zorin 6 DVDs and Erased it from my Hard Drive. I created a Zorin 8 Live Install to the Hard Drive. And it is also acting up. Not in all the same ways I listed for 6. If I were to try and customize the AWN I'd end up into the same issues the guy in the video link shows. Here is the Error message I received.

I'm sorry it isn't much.... I wasn't in the mood to investigate it's origins... I merely made this screen shot to say "Hey it did something stupid again" :s

SystemProgramProblemDetected_zpsaae3a7fa.png

After running Zorin 6 for a month, and now have played around with 8. I formed the opinion that Zorin is not ready to replace someone's windows xp system. I think it's more on the level of replicating the buggyness attitude of windows 98.

When Zorin isn't acting buggy it's a snappy system to use.
  • MadmanRBMadmanRB Registered
    Well you could use Mint as its great for a longtime windows user.
    But to be honest right now you may wish to wait as this is new release season.
    This is when major distributions like Ubuntu have their releases and its usually the best time to go into linux.
    I highly suggest to take some time off linux not letting Zorin sour you and try out other distros in virtualbox in windows.
    Personally the best distro for Windows 7 users I say is probably openSUSE, it has a look and feel similar to windows so you would not feel like you are not home.
    But to be honest if you are willing to learn linux try Ubuntu too, even though its unity interface is nothing like windows 7 it is still good as it forcibly teaches you to learn something new as no OS will replace windows 7.
    If you are willing to learn a new UI just ask, sure we can point you to something that looks similar to win7 but it wont take its place.
  • MadmanRB wrote:
    Well you could use Mint as its great for a longtime windows user.
    But to be honest right now you may wish to wait as this is new release season.
    This is when major distributions like Ubuntu have their releases and its usually the best time to go into linux.
    I highly suggest to take some time off linux not letting Zorin sour you and try out other distros in virtualbox in windows.
    Personally the best distro for Windows 7 users I say is probably openSUSE, it has a look and feel similar to windows so you would not feel like you are not home.
    But to be honest if you are willing to learn linux try Ubuntu too, even though its unity interface is nothing like windows 7 it is still good as it forcibly teaches you to learn something new as no OS will replace windows 7.
    If you are willing to learn a new UI just ask, sure we can point you to something that looks similar to win7 but it wont take its place.

I have used Ubuntu for about as long as I used Zorin. Frankly I think it's the most ugliest Operating system I've ever used. Unity works for me but I think it's rather ridiculous. Maybe it's ok for Mobile stuff. They say it is designed to be a hybrid of Desktop and Mobile.

Don't even get me started on Mint!

This My Mint Experience Story in Which I posted on the Linuxforums back in 02-01-2014

I'm really sorry about the wall of text. I've been trying to re write this so that it's in paragraph forms. But I don't think I can. Even this wall of text can't completely report to you all that is going wrong right now.

When I first installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 14 (64 bit) and did my updates the system became (at least the gui) became very unstable. I mean just about every major thing you use in a gui went down. None of my drives would mount and you couldn't get the file manager to open. I was lucky to get a terminal window to open for me. It was a really bad experience for a Newbie to Linux.

After posting in the Linux forums and trying what some of the guys told me to try, (I worked on the problem for an entire day) I gave up and downloaded Linux Mint Cinnamon 16 (64 bit). This time I made sure that I checked the MD5 sum. (I recently learned about the MD5 sum through a youtube video) I already have Zorin and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS installed on this Hard Drive. They have been working fine for months. I've been using this hard drive as long term test drive. It is 1TB in size and it has been supporting 3 Linux Operating systems. Linux Mint Cinnamon is the third and I plan to add a fourth.

I think the live CDs in Linux is really cool, and a decent way to see how Linux will perform on your computer's hardware, however I don't think it is a good way to test the stability of the system. For that you need to install it. Even virtual systems are not a true test, in it's purest form, just my opinion. This was the first time I had to reformat an existing Linux ext4 partition and install a new operating system on it. The installation went well enough and in a little bit I got Linux Mint Cinnamon 16 up and running. But the system gave me an interesting update error which I showed the people on the Linux forums. It seemed that somehow the updater tried to run twice at the same time. Strange but nothing that turned out to be anything. I was able to keep using the system and I got the updater to update it several more times (as updates came out) I never installed anything more then rated at 3 like the OS suggested.

Last night I was just watching some youtube videos and I noticed things began acting glitchy. I didn't think much about it because I know that flashplayer on Firefox is old and out of date and you can't update it. I just recently learned that there are some flashplayer alternatives and that Firefox is going to changing to something different in the near future. At the time of me writing this I don't know how to remove flashplayer for the linux system and replace it. I haven't done enough research to even know what to replace it with. I did print out some instructions, and after I post this I'm going to read into it. But at first I thought it was flashplayer acting up, but then firefox froze and wouldn't let me close it. Next the system said something about it couldn't grab my mouse and that someone might be maliciously watching what I am doing. Then my mouse almost completely stopped working. I had a terrible time trying to shut down the system. Finally all I could do is hold down the power button. After rebooting I was finally able to get the system to update but I never did get back full control of everything. Using a combination of the window key, arrow keys, and tab keys with the occasional mouse I have limited control.

I hope I don't have a bad spot on my hard drive. I really don't want to do a full test on a 1 TB hard drive that isn't even a year old. I was wondering if there is a way in Linux to do a partition test. (Just test that section) I want to test the partition that Linux Mint is on. If Linux Mint Cinnamon isn't the most stable which Mint is the most stable?

You can read the responses if you want too here:

Frustrated: Which Mint is the most stable?

I decided not to pursue mint at this time. Because it's a waste of my time and efforts.

As for the hard drive it's been tested 3 times. Both by the Western Digital Diagnostic Software, and Full Formatted by Windows 7.

I installed the Virtual Box and tried to play around with it. It appears to me that it only run the 32 bit systems. It's a bit frustrating because up to this point I've stuck with downloading 64 bit Operating systems. It made more sense to do so since both of my computers are capable of making use of the 64 bit.
    Personally I think Ubuntu is pretty attractive but then again I know most windows fans are used to blue, blue and more blue.
    In any case if Ubuntu didnt suit you and you had issues with Mint, maybe openSUSE is in your future.
    openSUSE by default aims for a more general audience and its default setup may remind you of Windows Vista:

https://www.opensuse.org/images/screenshots/zoom/2.png?rand=676044506

It doesnt come pre loaded with codecs but can be made to work pretty well, I feel openSUSE 13.1 is a great release and may be appropriate for you if you like windows 7.
    Sure it uses green but I am glad it has its own identity (as does Ubuntu, seriously you can make it blue like windows and give it mac OSX colors too, honestly if looks are everything just use windows as its clearly made for eyecandy)
  • MadmanRB wrote:
    Personally I think Ubuntu is pretty attractive but then again I know most windows fans are used to blue, blue and more blue.
    In any case if Ubuntu didnt suit you and you had issues with Mint, maybe openSUSE is in your future.
    openSUSE by default aims for a more general audience and its default setup may remind you of Windows Vista:

https://www.opensuse.org/images/screenshots/zoom/2.png?rand=676044506

It doesnt come pre loaded with codecs but can be made to work pretty well, I feel openSUSE 13.1 is a great release and may be appropriate for you if you like windows 7.
    Sure it uses green but I am glad it has its own identity (as does Ubuntu, seriously you can make it blue like windows and give it mac OSX colors too, honestly if looks are everything just use windows as its clearly made for eyecandy)

It's not so much the blue that I like, it's the glassy look that Windows 7 has. :)
    Yes but that glassy look comes at a cost of RAM and performance thus why its gone in windows 8.
    Really though looks should not be everything, and the thing about linux that makes it great in the end is that if you dont like it you can change it to mostly suit your needs.
    Heck even Ubuntu can look "great" with some patience.
    In your other post you suggested you are taking a break from linux well do so.
    This way you can go back to your fancy glassy windows and later come back if you are willing to let something that isnt all shiny into your heart.
    Pretty looks are not the core of the OS nor they should be.
  • MadmanRB wrote:
    Yes but that glassy look comes at a cost of RAM and performance thus why its gone in windows 8.
    Really though looks should not be everything, and the thing about linux that makes it great in the end is that if you dont like it you can change it to mostly suit your needs.
    Heck even Ubuntu can look "great" with some patience.
    In your other post you suggested you are taking a break from linux well do so.
    This way you can go back to your fancy glassy windows and later come back if you are willing to let something that isnt all shiny into your heart.
    Pretty looks are not the core of the OS nor they should be.

I think this guy might disagree with you on the effects = poor performance
    No that video just shows how good compiz and kwin are at composting and there is no contest on both being better at composting without the cost of hardware, of course they do better at effects because Aero is bloated.
    Thats why I suggested openSUSE as it offers the KDE desktop and kwin desktop effects so you can tune it to have some crystaline looks (at least in window boarders if you can live with that.)
  • MadmanRB wrote:
    No that video just shows how good compiz and kwin are at composting and there is no contest on both being better at composting without the cost of hardware, of course they do better at effects because Aero is bloated.
    Thats why I suggested openSUSE as it offers the KDE desktop and kwin desktop effects so you can tune it to have some crystaline looks (at least in window boarders if you can live with that.)

Bloating is one of the reasons why I want to change to Linux. But I still need to find a distro that stable enough. I've tried Mint, Zorin, and Ubuntu. In my experience they are all have more bugs then either Windows Vista or Windows 7. Hence for me to switch to anyone of them would be a step backwards. (Just my opinion) And that doesn't count the lack of hardware support. The main reason I haven't tried to install Linux on my old desktop computer is because it would be pain in the back side to get make it go online.

When I bought the USB wireless adapter for the Desktop I asked the sales person "Will this work with Linux"? He said yes but You'll haft to find the drivers for your distro. Neither Ubuntu, Mint or Zorin supports it. I did an online search and learned that the company (I don't have the device next to me which is why I'm not giving you the exact make) doesn't have drivers for Linux, but for some models they do. Other people were also complaining about it.

I was able to get Ubuntu and Zorin to run my Brother HL-3170CDW printer with a generic driver. Mint found a propitiatory driver for it, but when I told it ok to install it, it froze up halfway through the install.
    Well if its stability you want then yes openSUSE will suit you well
    https://www.opensuse.org/en/

What was the last Ubuntu you used?
    I am guessing 12.04, as yeah that ones a mess.
    14.04 is looking to be far more stable, even in its beta.
  • MadmanRB wrote:

On Spatry's pod casts they really talked up 12.04. Yeah that's the one I was using.
    MadmanRB wrote:

On Spatry's pod casts they really talked up 12.04. Yeah that's the one I was using.

Yeah I had issues with 12.04, I mean it was okay when it first came out but many bugs came with it and it seemed they increased afterwards.
    14.04 however seems way more solid thus why I suggested to wait.
    Or just give openSUSE a shot as I suggested.
  • MadmanRB wrote:
    MadmanRB wrote:

Yeah I had issues with 12.04, I mean it was okay when it first came out but many bugs came with it and it seemed they increased afterwards.
    14.04 however seems way more solid thus why I suggested to wait.
    Or just give openSUSE a shot as I suggested.

I'm downloading the openSUSE. I don't know if I'll try it next or not. But I'll run the live DVD and let you know what I think of that.

I'm downloading the openSUSE. I don't know if I'll try it next or not. But I'll run the live DVD and let you know what I think of that.

Yeah, only issue I know of is on some machines the live DVD can be flaky.
    You may wish to try openSUSE in virtualbox as I dont want the live to give a bad impression of it.
    There is also an issue with the network manager though that is easily corrected.
  • MadmanRB wrote:

Yeah, only issue I know of is on some machines the live DVD can be flaky.
    You may wish to try openSUSE in virtualbox as I dont want the live to give a bad impression of it.
    There is also an issue with the network manager though that is easily corrected.

I don't know how to make a virtualbox. I have the program but it appears to only work with the 32 bit. That means I'll need to re download in a 32 bit. It might be a long time before I get all that done.
    well we can help you work virtualbox if you wish
  • MadmanRB wrote:
    well we can help you work virtualbox if you wish

I really don't know much about Virtualboxes other then you can run one operating system within another. I read some howtogeek articles about it, but it never sunk into my head.

When I was trying to put Linuxlite into a virtualbox I found out that it only said 32 bit, and the one I downloaded is 64. At the time I was also chatting with the guys in the irc chatroom. One guy told me that the only way I could run a 64 bit in the virtual box is if I have 3D Rendering. (Is that the correct term? I'm going by my memory of over a week ago) I asked Him How do I know if I have 3D rendering. Then He gave me some Linux command line command. I wasn't currently in Linux of any kind. And I didn't have a Linux disc handy. He didn't know of any other way of for me to check on that.

Someone else in the forums pointed me to a tutorial thread about how to put LinuxLite in a Virtual box. It was very hard to print. The Print button caused all the illustrations/screen shots to disappear, and I couldn't print it out straight. I had to open up the OpenOffice and try to copy the whole thing into it. I was able to get something printed but I haven't had the time to really study it. When you got to staple something that is 18 pages long... Plus you got other things going on too. It can take me at least a week to get around to feeling like studying it.

I started to download openSUSE but it appeared to have frozen up in the middle of the 4.something gig download. I'll need to start all over. I think that if i'm going to put it in the Windows Virtual Machine thing. I'll probably need to download the 32 bit anyways.

I'm open to suggestions.
    openSUSE has several images on the site mind you, the install dvd (the one that is large size) the live DVD image and the netinstall (used for older computers with Lan connections and CD drives)
  • MadmanRB wrote:
    openSUSE has several images on the site mind you, the install dvd (the one that is large size) the live DVD image and the netinstall (used for older computers with Lan connections and CD drives)

I think I prefer the full thing.
    MadmanRB wrote:

I think I prefer the full thing.

The install dvd is the full thing, but its mainly just an installer disk, no live image to play around with.
    The live DVD's offer both a desktop and the installer.
  • kbdkbd Registered
    Depending on the hardware, when I hear someone complaining that Ubuntu-based distros keep breaking things with updates I think Debian Stable is probably their best bet. I also think the 'safer' Ubuntu-based distros are the LTS versions with light desktops like Xfce. Linux Lite had been a godsend for two older desktop computers, I don't know what video drivers they have in there but it works where regular Ubuntu won't. I've never been able to use Ubuntu with Unity for more than 2 months without it breaking via an update. But Mint 13 Xfce has been solid. The trouble you had there was the medibuntu repo which needs removed. Why Mint doesn't do point releases with proper updates for their LTS versions is beyond me, even though it has 5 years support Mint 13 Xfce after almost 2 years has over 600 updates out of the box.
    Debian Stable is a bit more involved to install and add codecs, but it's pretty much unbreakable. I would try Linux Lite, Xfce desktop pretty much never lets me down. If you really want unbreakable, go Debian Stable, a bit more time invested up front will save you endless headaches later :-)
  • kbd wrote:
    Depending on the hardware, when I hear someone complaining that Ubuntu-based distros keep breaking things with updates I think Debian Stable is probably their best bet. I also think the 'safer' Ubuntu-based distros are the LTS versions with light desktops like Xfce. Linux Lite had been a godsend for two older desktop computers, I don't know what video drivers they have in there but it works where regular Ubuntu won't. I've never been able to use Ubuntu with Unity for more than 2 months without it breaking via an update. But Mint 13 Xfce has been solid. The trouble you had there was the medibuntu repo which needs removed. Why Mint doesn't do point releases with proper updates for their LTS versions is beyond me, even though it has 5 years support Mint 13 Xfce after almost 2 years has over 600 updates out of the box.
    Debian Stable is a bit more involved to install and add codecs, but it's pretty much unbreakable. I would try Linux Lite, Xfce desktop pretty much never lets me down. If you really want unbreakable, go Debian Stable, a bit more time invested up front will save you endless headaches later :-)

I managed to install Linux Lite and boot it up. The odd thing is, it wouldn't take my wireless password. All the other Distros I tried so far has. ((shrugs)) I'm trying some other Distros and if things don't work out I might try Linux Lite again. Thanks.
  • inkyinky Registered
    I registered in their help forum as "Zorin" and when i asked a question i was Trolled and banned. :silenced:
  • inkyinky Registered
    I suggest not getting Zorin, I paid for it and i cant find any help. :s I wont cry about $15 or whatever i paid for it.