Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Security software

Hi - I am a newbie to Linux. I spent some time getting somewhat familiar with Ubuntu last week and installed it on a friends laptop for them. Today I became aware of Linux Lite and because it seems to be more user friendly I am leaning towards replacing Ubuntu with Lite in order to better accommodate my friend who is not computer savvy. .......... Anyway, I learned on Ubuntu that the firewall has to be manually turned on. My question is what is the status with the firewall in Linux Lite? I have not been able to find it and I am wondering if it has to be activated by the user. If so, how do I do that?
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• That is correct, the firewall has to be activated manually on Ubuntu but it doesn't do anything because you have to add your own rules. The rules are what you need to block and what you need to allow, these are added manually. So if you were just turning it on on Ubuntu then it wasn't doing anything at all. There are multiple GUI firewall applications, mostly they use iptables as a back-end. Ubuntu comes with Uncomplicated Firewall or UFW. You should probably be able to find it easily in the package manager, it is in there. Just install it and configure it the way you want and you're good to go.
  • Thank you Armageddon. I am not very tech savvy and am often not understanding a lot of what I read on the Linux discussions or instructions so what you told me here was important. I did not realize I have to do more than just turn the firewall on. I will have to figure out how to configure the add's and blocks on Uncomplicated Firewall. At the risk of sounding stupid, right now I am not sure what specifically I should add or block.
  • It all depends on what you want to allow and block from the connections. You can block all ports except 80 and 443 and then people can only browse the web and nothing else. That's one example.
  • Armageddon - I am not computer savvy enough to understand how to configure the firewall. I need more learning to understand how to set it up properly. .... I have been told by a couple of other Linux folks on line that for a basic home connection, the firewall that is running on my wireless router/modem is adequate firewall protection for my wired and wireless devices. I would appreciate your opinion on this. I suspect there are differences of opinion out there where Linux is concerned. I just want to be sure that I have adequate protection running on my home device.
  • I would agree with them, if you are behind a router than there is probably not much you have to worry about.