Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

HTPC -which is best

I am getting ready to build a new HTPC and kick my last use of windows to the curb. I am reserching MYth and Xbmc. I would appreciate any input about which you feel is better, easier to set up and use. Thnks in advance!! Of coarse if I missed another option, let me know.

Kantoquad

Comments

• I personally use xbmc. I found it to be very easy to configure with xbmchub. Check google for how to install xbmchub, it is a breeze, just like a walk in the park.I also wanted to add, I looked into it. If you do have a TV and want to run that into the PC, I think MythTV offers more options but I'm not totally sure. But it also looks like you can run xbmc as a front of myth. So the options are actually endless. I use xbmc to watch streaming.
  • bartosbartos DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Mythtv is more if you have a tuner card to connect to cable tv and record shows.

XBMC is a home theatre for playing movies and shows.
  • Armageddon wrote:
    I personally use xbmc. I found it to be very easy to configure with xbmchub. Check google for how to install xbmchub, it is a breeze, just like a walk in the park.I also wanted to add, I looked into it. If you do have a TV and want to run that into the PC, I think MythTV offers more options but I'm not totally sure. But it also looks like you can run xbmc as a front of myth. So the options are actually endless. I use xbmc to watch streaming.

You can actually configure XBMC to work with MythTV for recording shows and watching them, as if XBMC were the frontend for MythTV, which itself has one obviously.
    Theodore Thorpe,
    Member of the Cup Of Linux, Linux Distro Community & Linux Lite Forums.
  • ValtamValtam Registered
    I have used XBMC + Tvheadend as the backend to handle tv, they work very well together.
    Moved to On Topic.
  • kantoquadkantoquad DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Thanks, that has been my problem, the options are endless! Your input has been helpful. Here in the US scheduling data is an issue. Looks like 2 options, website scraping or schedules direct. It also looks as if there is someway to download data from microsoft. :)
    Armageddon wrote:
    I personally use xbmc. I found it to be very easy to configure with xbmchub. Check google for how to install xbmchub, it is a breeze, just like a walk in the park.I also wanted to add, I looked into it. If you do have a TV and want to run that into the PC, I think MythTV offers more options but I'm not totally sure. But it also looks like you can run xbmc as a front of myth. So the options are actually endless. I use xbmc to watch streaming.

If I go with XBMC, I will definately use that site!Now I have have to pick the hardware. Balance speed, power use and noise!