Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Debian repository - how fast does it update

Hello everyone,

I've installed linux lite on my netbook and everything is running smoothly.

I installed blender through the package manager and updated the system.

Though the latest blender release is 2.69, the one downloaded (an listed in the debian repositories) is 2.63a - http://packages.debian.org/stable/graphics/blender

Why is that? In the blender site that version is listed from April 2012 - http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.63a/log

Shouldn't I expect the latest updates from tis reps? I know I can't demand much but are there any other 'safe' reps I can pull from?

I don't mind creating the .deb file, and even posting on a rep, I'm just interested in understanding the criteria used here...

Thanks in advance.

Nuno Pinto

Comments

• I'm a little confused...blender is showing up as 2.62 on my linux-lite (vs. 1.06) which is ubuntu based, not debian. 2.63a is the latest in the debian "wheezy" repos. In either case, there is a lag because linux-lite is based on ubuntu 12.04 which is a Long-Term-support release, which also happend to be released in April 2012, but was probably feature-frozen before the later blender was ready. Debian "wheezy" came out later than ubuntu 12.04, so it has a slightly never version of blender, but the wheezy repos will only be updated for security updates, not software feature upgrades, so it is unlikely that a new version will ever hit the wheezy repos.

Newer packages often show up in the debian backport repos. Newer stuff also lands in the debian testing repos, but they aren't always compatible with the latest debian release.

ubuntu LTS releases and Debian stable releases favor stability of the system over the latest packages.
  • dultdult Registered
    I'm a little confused...blender is showing up as 2.62 on my linux-lite (vs. 1.06) which is ubuntu based, not debian. 2.63a is the latest in the debian "wheezy" repos. In either case, there is a lag because linux-lite is based on ubuntu 12.04 which is a Long-Term-support release, which also happend to be released in April 2012, but was probably feature-frozen before the later blender was ready. Debian "wheezy" came out later than ubuntu 12.04, so it has a slightly never version of blender, but the wheezy repos will only be updated for security updates, not software feature upgrades, so it is unlikely that a new version will ever hit the wheezy repos.

Newer packages often show up in the debian backport repos. Newer stuff also lands in the debian testing repos, but they aren't always compatible with the latest debian release.

ubuntu LTS releases and Debian stable releases favor stability of the system over the latest packages.

You are right, it's blender 2.62.

Is there any rep I can add to get the latest release? Or I'm better off downloading the 2.69 tar file an converting it to a deb file?

If I do that, and uninstall my current blender and its dependencies, will my deb automatically update?

Thanks
  • dultdult Registered

Ok thanks.

Btw, if I instal blender through my .deb blender package, will it create duplicates and/or not update?
  • no clue but i wouldn't bet on it leaving the existing install alone.
  • dultdult Registered
    no clue but i wouldn't bet on it leaving the existing install alone.

It's strange because on the link you gave blender's been updated on Ubuntu 12.04 rep...

Another noob question... If I add a repository for a sts version of ubunto, one that has unstable software added (most of the times I don't have any issue with unstable software) will it update my OS base install?

I'm trying to have cutting edge software with a very stable OS...
  • Well, that link was for a PPA, not the main ubuntu repo.

As far as your question about repos, It will pull updated libraries. I'm not sure about ubuntu, but with a debian repo, if you have another source enabled and you do a dist-upgrade, it will pull the latest packages from whatever repo is enabled. I've actually broken apps (ffmpeg) a couple of times by leaving the deb-multimedia repos (its 3rd party) enabled when doing an update.

What I typically do is only enable 3rd-party or testing repos when I need a particular piece of software, and then disable those repos before I do any updates.