Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Learning Linux for Certs(and a Question)

Hello LDC,

I've recently established a goal for myself for my career path so to speak and figured why not go for Linux certifications through CompTIA(as well as a few other non-Linux ones).
Do I need a reason why? xD

At any rate, I heard such certifications are based on Redhat or distros like it and I have a question for the insightful, would it be better to completely change to a Redhat distro or would VirtualBox most likely be sufficient for a learning environment?

I only ask because I'm pretty ignorant to whether having an actual root vs a virtual one makes any difference.

Also is it possible to build a nice resume solely on certifications such as those or do I really need to sit on my ass in a college to get any recognition?

Comments

  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    I have completed my RHEL Certs and all of there Learning stuff is provided for you in the form of a Virtualbox Image that you can load into virtualbox and complete work in as they use some very custom scripts and programs for grading and other assessment tasks :D

    If your looking for a career in linux then you probably will not need to go to Uni / College / Community College / Tafe (where ever you from and what ever you call them :D)
    as most of thoes institutions do not teach the specifics and are quite lacking in linux training so you will probably get more cred from 3rd party training institutions then you will from others.

    it is rather hard to say as some employers are very specific as to there criterion where others are not and vise versa and untill you have those certs on your CV its a gamble that could possibly win you the job of your dreams :D

    i hope this helps somewhat if you have any more questions please feel free to ask :D



    Wisdom:

    One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

  • I've never went to any of the certificates but I have a long experience using Linux for several years. It seemed to me that, from what I got interviewed for, jobs don't really care much for certificates as much as they care about what you know and how you can benefit them. I've passed all the Linux related interviews with flying colors. In my own opinion, a certificate alone is not enough, especially when it comes to Linux. I would actually suggest that you install Linux on your system and work with it, learn the ups and downs of it and the certificate would be an added extra bonus.
  • AuronoldAuronold DonatorDonator
    Donator
    I will definately have to check out the RHEL certs. And thanks for the motivating input setkeh!

    @Armageddon
    While I would never think a cert could completely describe experience with say Linux, I do already sort of 'live' Linux Lite right now since my Windows tower is shot and ive always wanted to try Linux, my laptop was the perfect candidate for this. I'm going to be having it as my Linux box probably til it dies and I was fortunate to get a class in the basics to Linux at the time I was at college.
    I'm just sold on Linux because it feels right to me. Whenever an error occurs, I never feel out of my grid to be able to fix it because errors are clear and concise for once(sometimes). Example is that I was attempting to build and compile the Mesa 10 source code, no real experience in this initially. Granted I had a ton of issues to fix but ive managed to so far get to the Make 'stage' with just the error outputs and Google. I dont plan on actually installing anything but the day I finally complete the Make, I couldnt be more motivated I bet. And I dont even know what ive done too I'm sure. XD
  • What I tried to say is that I've never taken any class on Linux in my life, let alone a certificate. I would actually urge you to install it and use it as a day to day OS, that's what I've been doing for almost 7 years now. This will benefit you in two major ways. If you do decide to get the certificates, knowing Linux before hand will make it easier for you and you'll have an edge over everyone else who probably doesn't know Linux. Secondly, it will make you more comfortable with the OS, as the certificate only means you passed a test and is not really relevant to how much you know Linux in general imho. I'm in no mean saying that you shouldn't get the certificate, not at all, all I'm saying is get to know the OS whether you choose to take the cert or not because that's what will benefit you in any case.
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    Having the Certs is defiantly a bonus at least here in Australia the Certification Means more then your Experience (Thats why its so hard to get a job here) and would say Army has been lucky in that respect as i couldn't see any employer employing some one with no cert over some one with a cert because you cant get said cert without the experience to back it up you can pass a test if you don't have the experience to do it and its easy to say you know something much much easier to say it then back it up with a cert lol

    http://training.linuxfoundation.org/free-linux-training/download-training-materials
    I recommend Checking out the Linux Foundation Training Material ad tutorials and spend allot of time practicing the things in there as there certs are really expensive and non refundable lol but i would recommend those along with the RHEL Certs they will def help im going for as many LF certs as i can as soon as i can afford it :P

    http://training.linuxfoundation.org/linux-courses/find-linux-training-courses?code=&category=3&location=Virtual

    There current course list :D



    Wisdom:

    One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

  • AuronoldAuronold DonatorDonator
    Donator
    setkeh wrote:
    Having the Certs is defiantly a bonus at least here in Australia the Certification Means more then your Experience (Thats why its so hard to get a job here) and would say Army has been lucky in that respect as i couldn't see any employer employing some one with no cert over some one with a cert because you cant get said cert without the experience to back it up you can pass a test if you don't have the experience to do it and its easy to say you know something much much easier to say it then back it up with a cert lol

    http://training.linuxfoundation.org/free-linux-training/download-training-materials
    I recommend Checking out the Linux Foundation Training Material ad tutorials and spend allot of time practicing the things in there as there certs are really expensive and non refundable lol but i would recommend those along with the RHEL Certs they will def help im going for as many LF certs as i can as soon as i can afford it :P

    http://training.linuxfoundation.org/linux-courses/find-linux-training-courses?code=&category=3&location=Virtual

    There current course list :D

    I like the sound of all this. Especially free training material! Thanks for those links, bookmarked.

    I'm actually part of the National Guard in the US and work in the S6 section so I'd wonder if they would be able to pay for my certificates as I know of at least two systems we use that use Redhat. I just helped another section yesterday where I was greeted with Redhat as the OS they were using. I felt like god for a few minutes cause no one knew any commands for it (since they are used to the GUI of Redhat and their video card died so xServer wouldnt work).
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    Auronold wrote:
    setkeh wrote:
    Having the Certs is defiantly a bonus at least here in Australia the Certification Means more then your Experience (Thats why its so hard to get a job here) and would say Army has been lucky in that respect as i couldn't see any employer employing some one with no cert over some one with a cert because you cant get said cert without the experience to back it up you can pass a test if you don't have the experience to do it and its easy to say you know something much much easier to say it then back it up with a cert lol

    http://training.linuxfoundation.org/free-linux-training/download-training-materials
    I recommend Checking out the Linux Foundation Training Material ad tutorials and spend allot of time practicing the things in there as there certs are really expensive and non refundable lol but i would recommend those along with the RHEL Certs they will def help im going for as many LF certs as i can as soon as i can afford it :P

    http://training.linuxfoundation.org/linux-courses/find-linux-training-courses?code=&category=3&location=Virtual

    There current course list :D

    I like the sound of all this. Especially free training material! Thanks for those links, bookmarked.

    I'm actually part of the National Guard in the US and work in the S6 section so I'd wonder if they would be able to pay for my certificates as I know of at least two systems we use that use Redhat. I just helped another section yesterday where I was greeted with Redhat as the OS they were using. I felt like god for a few minutes cause no one knew any commands for it (since they are used to the GUI of Redhat and their video card died so xServer wouldnt work).

    LOL

    Though if your committed to it the if i were you i would be speaking with my manager / Boss to see if they could at least help pay for it if not pay for it all :D no harm in asking that's for sure :D



    Wisdom:

    One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

  • AuronoldAuronold DonatorDonator
    Donator
    setkeh wrote:

    LOL

    Though if your committed to it the if i were you i would be speaking with my manager / Boss to see if they could at least help pay for it if not pay for it all :D no harm in asking that's for sure :D

    That is certainly the plan. My CO has been always asking me to go to schools for them, specifically one that involves getting the CompTIA Security+ certification.
    I may have to do some convincing, but the military does use embedded systems in quite a few pieces of equipment, all based on the Linux kernel. It'd be nice to be "that guy that knows Linux" instead of "that guy that knows computers". For whatever reason, it would just seem better that way.
  • Lucky ? What do you mean lucky ? Me lucky ? That is an insult setkeh ! :/
Sign In or Register to comment.