Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Any Rolling Release Debian-based Distros?

I want to try out a Debian-based distro on my old Pentium 4 machine, to breathe some new Linux life into it. Since I want up to date software, I'd figure a rolling release is a good way to go. I've looked into SolydXK, and wondering if there are any more worth trying out, before I do so.
Theodore Thorpe,
Member of the Cup Of Linux, Linux Distro Community & Linux Lite Forums.

Comments

• Up to date and rolling release are two different concepts, it seems you're asking for a bleeding edge distribution but you might fall into the problem you faced with arch where the kernel might not support your hardware.
  • bartosbartos DonatorDonator
    Donator
    You could try LMDE- Linux Mint Debian Edition.
    They have updates kinda like Manjaro, but they release them as service packs
  • What about #! (Crunchbang)? I think is one of the best Debian-based distros. Nice and snappy.
  • I sort of like Linux Mint Debian Edition, only downside is no support for UEFI Secure Boot, but other than that it is ok.
    What about #! (Crunchbang)? I think is one of the best Debian-based distros. Nice and snappy.

I've always wanted to try out CrunchBang, heard it is a amazing distro! I didn't know it was Debian-based. Maybe I've been living under a rock for too long! Thanks Bela_Lugosi!
    Theodore Thorpe,
  • you've got antix out there as well. We have several forum members running on Pentium 4's. antix was originally set up for older machines. No uefi support yet (maybe in 13.5) but you shouldn't need that on a pentium 4.

Version 13.2 is the latest. It defaults to debian stable, but you can set it to debian testing and get rolling updates that way. Antix is usually set to follow debian testing, but the last release coincided with debian wheezy going stable so they set an option to make a stable version of antix at that time. antix provides its own kernel and some other goodies.
  • Scott(0)Scott(0) Registered
    Hi Teddy. I second the antiX vote. I use a stable install to a usb drive on an old laptop, everything works and it's stable. The antiX videos on dolphin_oracle's YouTube channel are very informative - Good luck, let us know how the search goes. ~Scott
  • Debian Unstable, aptosid (DU base), siduction (DU base), Semplice Linux (DU base), LMDE (DU base), Aurora OS (non-rolling core, Debian & Ubuntu base), antiX (Debian Testing & MEPIS base), Vanillux (Debian Unstable & Ubuntu base), Epidemic GNU/Linux.
  • Debian Unstable (Debian Sid)
    just install any Debian, then use Debian Sid repositories.
  • What about #! (Crunchbang)? I think is one of the best Debian-based distros. Nice and snappy.

Crunchbang is based on Debian Stable. Debian Testing and Unstable are the rolling releases.
  • sidzensidzen DonatorDonator
    Donator
    siduction is fun -- lets me run GIS software QGIS. Install can be tricky, though.
    Don't try running kernels beyond 3.9, however, and use XFCE. Just hard-won recommendations if you want to run Unstable.

Crunchbang is based on Debian Stable. Debian Testing and Unstable are the rolling releases.

Crunchbang 11 (Waldorf) went Stable, because Debian Unstable went Wheezy. If you change your repos to unstable, you get a rolling release again. :cool:
  • Aptosid is rolling release debian
  • How to make crunchbang use the debian Sid repos. http://forum.linuxbasix.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1393

Though in my opinion just debian Sid with the addition of the multimedia repos http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ is the only way to go. In my opinion :)
  • MadmanRBMadmanRB Registered
    No mention of SolydXK?

http://solydxk.com/
  • Teddy5090Teddy5090 Registered
    MadmanRB wrote:
    No mention of SolydXK?

http://solydxk.com/

Take a look at the starting post, it is mentioned there.
    Theodore Thorpe,
  • wchouser3wchouser3 Registered
    Linuxmint Debian Edition is rolling, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Mint is dropping the Debian Edition.
  • MadmanRBMadmanRB Registered
    I certainly hope not, as the debian edition I feel is where mint needs to go if it doesnt want to follow in Ubuntu's footsteps.
    MadmanRB wrote:
    I certainly hope not, as the debian edition I feel is where mint needs to go if it doesnt want to follow in Ubuntu's footsteps.
    yea, they don't really feel as though they're following Ubuntu, as much as "fixing it." I chuckle a little every time I think about it.

The article (having a little trouble tracking it down now)I read stated that it was by far their least popular flavor.

I agree with you, though
  • nuts11222nuts11222 Registered
    [size=medium]
    Teddy5090 wrote:
    I want to try out a Debian-based distro on my old Pentium 4 machine, to breathe some new Linux life into it. Since I want up to date software, I'd figure a rolling release is a good way to go. I've looked into SolydXK, and wondering if there are any more worth trying out, before I do so.

A new release came out last week. It's called linux lite 1.0.8 it's a rolling distro. I'm writing to you on this right now. I also have Ubuntu, Mint n Gnome 3 installed. I like it. Give it a try. You good also see the video on Youtube. It's supposed to be a Windows XP replacement.[/size]
  • Teddy5090Teddy5090 Registered
    nuts11222 wrote:
    [size=medium]A new release came out last week. It's called linux lite 1.0.8 it's a rolling distro. I'm writing to you on this right now. I also have Ubuntu, Mint n Gnome 3 installed. I like it. Give it a try. You good also see the video on Youtube. It's supposed to be a Windows XP replacement.[/size]

Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Linux Lite are not rolling release distros, nor is it based on Debian. I have used all 3 before. I do agree though that Linux Lite is a great XP replacement.
    Theodore Thorpe,
  • irishluck83irishluck83 Administrator
    The only one I can think of is SolydKX. I know that is based on Debian and it is a rolling realease.
    A new release came out last week. It's called linux lite 1.0.8 it's a rolling distro. I'm writing to you on this right now. I also have Ubuntu, Mint n Gnome 3 installed. I like it. Give it a try. You good also see the video on Youtube. It's supposed to be a Windows XP replacement.[/size]

That's a good one. My favorite is one a lot like it called LXLE. I prefer to turn XP users to this one because it's a bit lighter than Linux Lite. It uses the LXDE desktop which is lighter than the Xfce desktop Linux Lite uses. Also, it's based on Ubuntu's (Lubuntu) LTS release, meaning it has a longer support cycle. I like this one mainly because it's likely XP users don't have up-to-date hardware, so a lighter distro will perform better. The LTS release will also be useful because it's likely an XP user may not want to have to worry about maintenance.

Neither of these distros are "rolling-release" though an LTS release may be just as good of an option.
  • There is also now MX-14 at mepiscommunity.org/mx. Its based on debian stable with an xfce desktop, but the mx/mepis folks operate their own community repo for more up to date packages. Its a good middle ground, and since its based on antiX underneath, it runs pretty well on older hardware like P4's. There are both PAE and non-PAE versions available. New last week.
  • A.R.T.M.A.R.T.M. Registered
    My distro "Constant Rolling Studio" is based on Debian Sid (Unstable), it also has a HUGE selection of multimedia apps such as Ardour3, Blender and the GIMP. The best part is install once, and keep up to date.