Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Advice for Debian Unstable

I'm interested in trying out Semplice Linux which is based on Debian's Unstable branch. Semplice Linux is pretty lightweight. But the main problem for me is it being based on Debian's Unstable branch. I have no experience with Debian's Unstable branch and have no idea how stable it actually is. Do you guys have advice you could give about maintaining a Debian Unstable based distro?

Comments

• binbin Registered
    The clue is in the name............:wink:

Brilliant for playing and learning - I've run with unstable based versions and only had occasional pain. I would not run it on a machine that is needed for day to day reliability such as a family computer.

Take a look at their forum - see what sort if issues have come up in the past. If you are happy then go ahead. The only way to learn is to do it.......
  • retroretro Registered
    I currently run Aptosid (previously Sidux) and Siduction (both Debian unstable "SID" branch) as my personal and family machines.
    In addition I put both my parents and mother-in-law's machines on Aptosid.
    In over two years with Aptosid and less than a year with Siduction, I've only had about 3 (very minor) issues...
    • Some Recursive Dependencies (Aptosid, easily fixed)
    • A video display problem (Aptosid, temp fix, resolved over a short time)
    • A cups problem (Siduction, resolved over a short time)

In my situation, the advantages of the unstable branch far outway the possible technical issues encountered, so IMHO it's fine for everyday use.
    Your situation may be different, so you will have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages against each other, but at least you have a sample failure rate now
  • retro wrote:
    I currently run Aptosid (previously Sidux) and Siduction (both Debian unstable "SID" branch) as my personal and family machines.
    In addition I put both my parents and mother-in-law's machines on Aptosid.
    In over two years with Aptosid and less than a year with Siduction, I've only had about 3 (very minor) issues...
    • Some Recursive Dependencies (Aptosid, easily fixed)
    • A video display problem (Aptosid, temp fix, resolved over a short time)
    • A cups problem (Siduction, resolved over a short time)

In my situation, the advantages of the unstable branch far outway the possible technical issues encountered, so IMHO it's fine for everyday use.
    Your situation may be different, so you will have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages against each other, but at least you have a sample failure rate now
    What are recursive dependencies and cups?If say one of these issues you mentioned occurred how do you fix them? Are there some issues you simply can't fix yourself and have to wait in order for it to fix itself? Are there any protection layers available for Debian Unstable that I could install?
  • darry1966darry1966 Registered
    I'm interested in trying out Semplice Linux which is based on Debian's Unstable branch. Semplice Linux is pretty lightweight. But the main problem for me is it being based on Debian's Unstable branch. I have no experience with Debian's Unstable branch and have no idea how stable it actually is. Do you guys have advice you could give about maintaining a Debian Unstable based distro?

Hi Mate,

Have played around with semplice 5 which is the latest version and it seems very polished I had to fiddle around with it a bit with flash reverting to version 10 but it performed very well and the guys doing it are a very friendly bunch so all in all should be fine running it as it has come along way since version 2
  • retroretro Registered
    Recursive and circular dependencies can be straightend out with package manager options, no big deal. Cups - the printing system had some kind of bug, I don't remember exaclty.

Most problems can be fixed easily, but in the case of an application bug, you can roll back to a previous version and PIN it until patches are available, compiling is always an option.

The only protection layer that comes to mind is a backup, If you need some kind of a protection layer than unstable may not be for you.
  • darry1966darry1966 Registered
    retro wrote:
    Recursive and circular dependencies can be straightend out with package manager options, no big deal. Cups - the printing system had some kind of bug, I don't remember exaclty.

Most problems can be fixed easily, but in the case of an application bug, you can roll back to a previous version and PIN it until patches are available, compiling is always an option.

The only protection layer that comes to mind is a backup, If you need some kind of a protection layer than unstable may not be for you.
    Heh mate your gopher site is pretty cool like it's Retroness.:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:
  • retroretro Registered
    darry1966 wrote:
    Heh mate your gopher site is pretty cool like it's Retroness.:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:
    Thanks :happy: , not much interest in gopher nowadays, but I'll keep fighting the good fight :wink:
  • The main problem for me is it being based on Debian's Unstable branch.