Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

CentOS Customized and Beginner's Guides Help

I decided to give CentOS a try. I really Don't like either of the DEs that CentOS provides(Gnome and KDE) so I decided to go with the minimal Iso, only install the packages I wanted and then burn my customized CentOS to an Iso file. This sounded like a good idea at first except I've never used an RPM based distribution like CentOS before and the commands and environment in general were much more advanced then what I was used to in Ubuntu. Do you guys have any suggestions for guides on how to make a customized CentOS and beginner's guide in general?

Comments

• I don't know how to make a customized rpm based distro iso but yum is pretty easy to figure out. All you have to do is
    man yum

or
    yum -h

Now yum lacks the feature of removing orphaned packages, so be aware of that. It also has a neat feature called "Presto" which saves a lot of download. The file system hierarchy is a bit different than debian based distros but not so different to make you get lost. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask them and as always, always have fun ;)
  • Does CentOS have anything else extra I need to know how to do or is knowing how to use the yum command all I need to know? Also I would like to use Openbox as my wm. But by default CentOS doesn't have the Openbox package and I'm not sure which third party repo mentioned in the wiki contains it. Is there a way to find that out?
  • I'm not sure. CentOS is a server distro, that's why it has a long term support and very few packages. If you want to use it as a desktop, you'll need to add a lot of repos.