Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Ubuntu 13.10 Minimal Wicd Issues[Solved]

Hi everyone, I've been trying to setup Wicd for an Ubuntu 13.10 minimal install I have. I keep getting this error when I try to start the Wicd daemon. Any idea how to fix this? I'm unfamiliar with Python so I'm not sure what I need to do to with wicd-daemon.py like it mentions in the output. I think this is Ubuntu Minimal specific because Wicd works fine on all other Ubuntu varients.
  File "/usr/share/wicd/daemon/wicd-daemon.py", line 1859, in <module>
    main(sys.argv)
  File "/usr/share/wicd/daemon/wicd-daemon.py", line 1708, in main
    os.symlink(dest, backup_location)
OSError: [Errno 17] File exists

Comments

• retroretro Registered
    Hi GeniusWalrus,

see link below...
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/wicd/+bug/1193856
  • I wasn't able to find a resolv.conf file in /etc. I did find a folder called resolvconf but I don't think that's it. Could it be somewhere else?Also I looked at the suggested fixes but it didn't mention where to insert that line of code. Do you know where to put it?
  • retroretro Registered
    Apparently Ubuntu has yet again messed with what has worked well for many years.
    I can not verify as I don't use Ubuntu, but acording to the bug report, /etc/resolv.conf is a symbolic link on that system.

He is suggesting a code fix to wicd-daemon.py file.
    You will probably have to experiment a little to "resolve" :-) the problem.

If you don't have a /etc/resolv.conf file or symlink the I would start with finding it and copying it to /etc.
    # find / -name resolv.conf

If it doesn't exist at all on the system, then just make one like below, which uses google DNS.
    nameserver 8.8.8.8

Copying or creating /etc/resolv.conf is only an experiment to see if wicd starts without error.
    If it does, you are well on your way to fixing the problem.

good luck
  • The only resolv.conf I've been able to find is located in /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf . Do I want to copy that to /etc or is that file functionally different then the one you would normally find in /etc?
  • retroretro Registered
    The only resolv.conf I've been able to find is located in /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf . Do I want to copy that to /etc or is that file functionally different then the one you would normally find in /etc?
    That file is your resolv.conf, Ubuntu for some reason has chosen to put it in a different location.
    I suggested you copy it to /etc just to see if wicd loads without error.
    Based on the bug report, you should have had symbolic link called /etc/resolv.conf pointing to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf, but I can't be sure as you have a later version of Ubuntu than he had.

Again copying the file to /etc is just a troubleshooting step not a fix per-se
    good luck
  • That fixed it. Thanks for the help.