Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Are Touchscreens suitabe for Linux?

Just like the questions says. Feel free to share your touchscreen experiences here on Linux here on this thread. Also, are there any Touch-oriented Linux distros around? Post them here too. I considering getting a used Acer Iconia 6120 Laptop (The laptop with 2 touchscreens and no keyboard. A so called "TouchBook"). As this particular Laptop has nothing but touchscreens, I was wondering if any Linux Distros support touchscreens.

Edit: I decided not to get that Acer Iconia 6120 Touchbook as I decided that is a novelty item. Instead I bought a HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11 (11-e015dx). It is an 11.6 Inch Laptop with a Touchscreen on it. I needed something small, long battery life, and lightweight (I personally don't care about weight). My Acer C7 Chromebook died on me a week ago so I needed something fast. I chose this because of great reviews despite the weak AMD A4 Dual Core Processor (Most of the review sites recommended the AMD A6 Quad Core version so thats what I chose). It is a great Laptop so far.
Theodore Thorpe,
Member of the Cup Of Linux, Linux Distro Community & Linux Lite Forums.

Comments

• SeanSean Registered
    System76 just announced a new touchscreen laptop today. So that probably means Ubuntu's Unity works fairly well with touch screens.

Edit: Gnome 3 is designed to work well with touch, too. So you could also try that.
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    Sure i have a touch screen for my Cubieboard running Archlinux Arm my Rpi Running Archlinux Arm / RASBMC and i also have a Acer iconia Tab W500 running archlinux all running E18 and touch works brilliant :D

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• Teddy5090Teddy5090 Registered
    setkeh wrote:
    Sure i have a touch screen for my Cubieboard running Archlinux Arm my Rpi Running Archlinux Arm / RASBMC and i also have a Acer iconia Tab W500 running archlinux all running E18 and touch works brilliant :D

I was also considering a used Acer Iconia Tab W500 myself, those are good tablets. RAM is a little limiting though as it is only 2GB.
    Theodore Thorpe,
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    2GB ram is pretty big for a tablet device there arnt many out there that have much bigger :D keeping in mind it is still a tablet and not a laptop or desktop or virtual machine environment :D

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

setkeh wrote:
    2GB ram is pretty big for a tablet device there arnt many out there that have much bigger :D keeping in mind it is still a tablet and not a laptop or desktop or virtual machine environment :D

True, but Dell has a new Venue 11 Pro tablet that can be configured up to 8GB according to CNET. We will have to wait and see on that claim as this and the smaller Venue 8 Pro isn't released yet.
    Theodore Thorpe,
  • robgravesrobgraves DonatorDonator
    Donator
    I just bought a brand new laptop last month. Touch Screen was NOT a feature I wanted but I ended up with regardless and figured I'd live with as i didn't have to use it. Anyway, i currently have it dual booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 and touchscreen in Ubuntu's Unity works flawlessly and out of the box on mine. Just my 2 cents.
    robgraves wrote:
    I just bought a brand new laptop last month. Touch Screen was NOT a feature I wanted but I ended up with regardless and figured I'd live with as i didn't have to use it. Anyway, i currently have it dual booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 and touchscreen in Ubuntu's Unity works flawlessly and out of the box on mine. Just my 2 cents.

Great to hear! What Make and Model is your Laptop?
    Theodore Thorpe,
  • TNTSTNTS Registered
    I don't have any idea of DEs that look good and tablets but I am a fan of XFCE, KDE and Gnome for Ultrabooks :)
    Sean wrote:
    System76 just announced a new touchscreen laptop today. So that probably means Ubuntu's Unity works fairly well with touch screens.

Edit: Gnome 3 is designed to work well with touch, too. So you could also try that.

I was thinking mainly Ubuntu, but I don't like Gnome 3. Too many simple things are missing in that desktop environment, things like making a new file; its simple things like that, that really put me off of Gnome. I'm convinced that their desktop environment is crap, and they know it. I try to add little extensions as possible on things that need a little bit more functionality to suit my taste (for example, web browser extensions/addons) and Gnome 3, you have to add a million of them in order just to get anything done productively.
    Theodore Thorpe,
    Donator
    Teddy5090 wrote:
    robgraves wrote:

Great to hear! What Make and Model is your Laptop?

HP ENVY 17 TouchSmart Intel i7 4th generation 8 core 3.4 ghz 8 gb RAM, 1 TB hard drive Intel HD 4600 Graphics, fingerprint reader, etc.
    robgraves wrote:
    HP ENVY 17 TouchSmart Intel i7 4th generation 8 core 3.4 ghz 8 gb RAM, 1 TB hard drive Intel HD 4600 Graphics, fingerprint reader, etc.

Wow, that's a high end laptop there. All of my laptops have AMD Processors, and oddly enough, never owned a laptop with a Intel Processor, aside from my Acer C7 Chromebook.

I chose this Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop with a AMD Processor in 2011 (when Ivy Bridge generation of chips wasn't even released yet) because of the great integrated graphics performance of this AMD A8 APU and also is a quad-core. The comparable Intel version of this Laptop was a Intel Sandy Bridge i5 Dual Core. The Graphics was very slow by a longshot on that Sandy Bridge unit in comparison to this. Even Ivy Bridge Graphics has trouble benchmarkwise with this AMD APU. Haswell However does beat out mine by a good margin, especially the Iris Pro Graphics.

My processor and graphics is very, very similar to Spatry's Laptop, almost identical (He has an AMD A6-3420M APU and AMD Radeon HD 6520G of this same Llano generation, just 1 processor below mine, with the same processor clock speed and turbo boost speed)

Specs of My Laptop:
    Dell Inspiron 15R M5110/M511R
    AMD A8-3500M 1st Generation Llano series APU @ 1.5 Ghz (2.4 Ghz Turbo Boost)
    AMD Radeon HD 6620G Integrated Graphics, 512MB shared memory
    6GB of DDR3 RAM (4GB from the factory, upgraded to 6GB)
    500GB Western Digitial Hard Drive
    Theodore Thorpe,
    Donator
    Teddy5090 wrote:
    robgraves wrote:

Wow, that's a high end laptop there. All of my laptops have AMD Processors, and oddly enough, never owned a laptop with a Intel Processor, aside from my Acer C7 Chromebook.

I chose this Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop with a AMD Processor in 2011 (when Ivy Bridge generation of chips wasn't even released yet) because of the great integrated graphics performance of this AMD A8 APU and also is a quad-core. The comparable Intel version of this Laptop was a Intel Sandy Bridge i5 Dual Core. The Graphics was very slow by a longshot on that Sandy Bridge unit in comparison to this. Even Ivy Bridge Graphics has trouble benchmarkwise with this AMD APU. Haswell However does beat out mine by a good margin, especially the Iris Pro Graphics.

My processor and graphics is very, very similar to Spatry's Laptop, almost identical (He has an AMD A6-3420M APU and AMD Radeon HD 6520G of this same Llano generation, just 1 processor below mine, with the same processor clock speed and turbo boost speed)

Specs of My Laptop:
    Dell Inspiron 15R M5110/M511R
    AMD A8-3500M 1st Generation Llano series APU @ 1.5 Ghz (2.4 Ghz Turbo Boost)
    AMD Radeon HD 6620G Integrated Graphics, 512MB shared memory
    6GB of DDR3 RAM (4GB from the factory, upgraded to 6GB)
    500GB Western Digitial Hard Drive

hey that's cool, yeah my last laptop was an AMD processor, triple core, AMD Phenom II I think it was, this laptop's brand new, i got a loan (not student loans as I still owe money on some from the last time I went to college a decade ago) to help pay for college and got a little extra and decided to get me a new laptop. It's pretty cool, not sure yet what I think of Windows 8, it's still on there on probationary status, if it irritates me too much it's gonna get wiped. It just updated to Windows 8.1, and honestly it doesn't impress me too much as much of an "improvement" on Windows 8, but meh, I'll give it a fair shot for a little bit.
    robgraves wrote:
    hey that's cool, yeah my last laptop was an AMD processor, triple core, AMD Phenom II I think it was, this laptop's brand new, i got a loan (not student loans as I still owe money on some from the last time I went to college a decade ago) to help pay for college and got a little extra and decided to get me a new laptop. It's pretty cool, not sure yet what I think of Windows 8, it's still on there on probationary status, if it irritates me too much it's gonna get wiped. It just updated to Windows 8.1, and honestly it doesn't impress me too much as much of an "improvement" on Windows 8, but meh, I'll give it a fair shot for a little bit.

Windows 8 didn't impress me too much when I tried it in VirtualBox and on a physical machine. It was awful the first time, just trying to figure out how to shut the computer down; took me 10 minutes just to figure that out. Also the Metro file browser (saving or opening files dialogue box) is absolutely hideous. It is organised so badly that it is very hard to use with a regular mouse.

I will tell you this, Windows 8.1 did change some stuff around for the better. That apps arrow down in metro is a big improvement I think, before then, had a hard time just trying to find shortcuts to apps. They added back the start button.

I have my taskbar either on the right or left of the screen, kinda like from Ubuntu's Unity (I grew acustomed to the unity launcher being on the left). There is a serious annoyance with that in Windows 8.1; the start button is where it is supposed to be (top left or top right), but also If I hover over the lower left "hot corner", the button shows up there too. I find that to be really annoying; the button being on the top left, also shows up in the lower left "hot corner", like the taskbar was never meant to be moved anywhere (both buttons function). My dad likes his taskbar on the top as well, and it annoyed him too, when he tried Windows 8.1 Preview.
    Theodore Thorpe,
  • SeanSean Registered
    You're right. Before the Gnome 3.10 update, I had about 20 extensions. But I use Gnome 3 for specific reasons mainly to do with the super key function.
  • ChompjilChompjil Registered
    I have a friend who has Arch on his Surface Pro, he says the touch screen works best with gnome and unity installed, so that shows which are best with touch