Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Easy Peasy netbook

Hi i have an Advent 4211 netbook (a rebagded msi wind u100) it has atom 270 cpu / 80 gig hd / 2gig memory now running win xp have decided to give this to the grandson after letting him try out a couple of distros running from a usb has decided easy peasy 1.6 is what he wants this is where i need some help please i have the os on a 4 gig usb stick it runs ok as a live distro from the usb everything works fine but cannot install to hard drive when i try to install i get to set location,keyboard,time that is as far as i can go all it says on computer is installing step 3 of 7 no matter how long i leave it running for either connected to the internet or not does not get any further and i should have said the usb stick is formated fat 32 have tried ntfs but would not even run from the usb stick with ntfs.

Comments

• I don't remember much about easy peasy's installer. The project has been defunct for some time. 1.6 was released in 2010 and was based on ubuntu 10.4 and used ubuntu 10.4's installer. It had a big issue with disk detection on some systems, which is what happens after keyboard selection in the installer. This was especially true those netbooks with SSD drives. There are also reports of this bug coming up with there is an SD card in the card reader or a second usb drive hooked up during installation.

Some folks have had success simply using a different usb key, or by pulling the usb key out of the machine at a key moment (don't know which moment, but I would guess after you select the keyboard), and then plugging it back in.

Honestly, I would recommend a system that is still supported. You may want to try the current 13.04 ubuntu, but I find the Linux Lite (also ubuntu based) runs very well on my netbook, and is new-user friendly.

If you decide to press on with easy peasy, try googling for "ubuntu 10.4 installer hangs keyboard" and you'll see a lot of posts and info about it.
  • Teddy5090Teddy5090 Registered
    Easy Peasy is apparently no longer in development, and being based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, (Which that version isn't supported anymore) you will not get any updates and may have problems running newer software. Use Linux Lite or Linux Mint XFCE. Linux Lite is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which is supported for 5 years, (for comparison 10.04 LTS was only supported for 3 years). Another good option is Linux Mint XFCE. The Current version is 15, so it is based on the Ubuntu 13.04 (only supported for 9 months, so not a good option for the long term). Linux Lite wins solely on support time and I think more minimal than Linux Mint.
    Theodore Thorpe,
    Member of the Cup Of Linux, Linux Distro Community & Linux Lite Forums.
  • Teddy5090 wrote:
    Easy Peasy is apparently no longer in development, and being based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, (Which that version isn't supported anymore) you will not get any updates and may have problems running newer software. Use Linux Lite or Linux Mint XFCE. Linux Lite is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which is supported for 5 years, (for comparison 10.04 LTS was only supported for 3 years). Another good option is Linux Mint XFCE. The Current version is 15, so it is based on the Ubuntu 13.04 (only supported for 9 months, so not a good option for the long term). Linux Lite wins solely on support time and I think more minimal than Linux Mint.

yah, no one likes liars! Easypeasy is has been dormint, but they they do have a beta that uses gnome 3 out on sourceforgehttp://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-eee/files/Developers_Releases/ There you go, I still recomend just pluging in a USB DVD drive and booting off of that. Also don't listen to noobs for adivce as they don't do their reaserach.:-/:-/:-/:-/