Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Linux Effects

I think were not allowed or to talk about other Linux OS probably but, I REALLY wanted to know and honestly I love how special effects and customizing your desktop is fun but, does Linux Lite & Gentoo Linux can do a Desktop 3D and Animation/Effects like this video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPVEAwvZHck

Comments

• SeanSean Registered
    Don't worry, this community is called "Linux Distro Community"! which means we can talk about any Linux distro and wise crack Fedora for as long as we want!
    As for your question, compiz effects are definitely possible in Linux Lite, but successfully running compiz on Gentoo depends on what window manager you are running.
  • How do I install Gentoo? I have already downloaded amd 64 bit? ios minimal , I guess it was livecd it said livecd: when I rebooted my PC and tried to install I got stuck because I didn't know the controls, code or to exit to main menu. Do I have to follow all these steps on the Linux Doc? http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml by the way it says x86, not amd is it the same?
  • Are you sure you want to install Gentoo? Gentoo is ment for intermediate users and not a cakewalk to install unlike Ubuntu or its variants. You may want to look at a tutorial before you consider installing it.
  • I would like Gentoo and to try it out, I have Linux Lite now then again. I would like to test it out and install it. I'm still using a junk laptop at the moment to try it out. Also the compiz or 3D Desktop is what I really want which is available to some OS distributions http://wiki.compiz.org/Distributions , Gentoo is the only one I seen on the list that I knew. I'm looking for a Linux and a good OS to use because I hate using Windows 8. I just bought a new laptop yesterday and I'm using it for developing games and programming, work and college. On compiz's distribution even still not sure if its safe, on the list which OS would you prefer?
  • Linux Lite has Compiz pre-installed . If you startup synaptic package manager and and search compiz it should say it's already installed. It's disabled in the main menu by default for some reason though. So you may want to enable it by going to Menu>Settings>Main Menu and check it so you can see it in your main menu.
  • I honestly love Linux from it's style, icons customization appearence and what it could do. I like the interface design but, Linux Lite is old skool and fast. It couldn't go beyond where I wanted to customize my own pc.
  • Ok, I would suggest you install Virtualbox and run Gentoo in it before you install it. While rolling release distros have the advantage of getting the latest software sooner then any other Linux distro they also have a greater chance of breaking because the packages aren't throughly tested.
  • What do you mean by breaking? The OS fails? due to updates installing packages? What's a faster way to install Gentoo though? I was looking on YouTube but, its TOUGH! Lots of syntax/programming and getting into the system other then that I am not sure if it directly install through the LiveCD
  • Yep, with rolling release distros like Arch Linux and Gentoo their packages aren't throughly tested and have a good chance off breaking your system each time you update unless you throughly inspect the packages yourself. In Gentoo you have to use commands to install Gentoo and there's no way around it. What you could do is get a varient of Gentoo that has an installer. I would go search for Gentoo varients on Distrowatch.
  • You can try Calculate Linux.

Now if you really like to take on Gentoo, it's not going to be easy but you should check the playlist on "Portage and Whatnot" and then look at the installation process shown in "The Gentoo Bangstallation". If you're a new Linux user, I would suggest easier distributions than Gentoo, maybe start with Linux Lite and then move to Calculate to get used to portage before moving to Gentoo. I would also try ArchLinux before Gentoo (which is what I actually did).

Just an addition about the last post about Gentoo, even though Gentoo is a rolling release, the packages are thoroughly tested and Gentoo is as stable as debian stable if you use the stable packages, it is also very stable if you even use "unstable" packages. So the misconception of rolling release means unstable is wrong, bleeding edge is another story though.
  • Armageddon wrote:
    You can try Calculate Linux.

Now if you really like to take on Gentoo, it's not going to be easy but you should check the playlist on "Portage and Whatnot" and then look at the installation process shown in "The Gentoo Bangstallation". If you're a new Linux user, I would suggest easier distributions than Gentoo, maybe start with Linux Lite and then move to Calculate to get used to portage before moving to Gentoo. I would also try ArchLinux before Gentoo (which is what I actually did).

Just an addition about the last post about Gentoo, even though Gentoo is a rolling release, the packages are thoroughly tested and Gentoo is as stable as debian stable if you use the stable packages, it is also very stable if you even use "unstable" packages. So the misconception of rolling release means unstable is wrong, bleeding edge is another story though.
    I always thought rolling release and bleeding edge were pretty much the same. Thanks for the clarification.
  • No they aren't, two different things. Rolling release simply doesn't have a release cycle where they release a newer version when you have to remove the whole system and install a new one, or replace everything at once with newer different versions. Rolling release simply works on updating packages one by one until you end up with a new system eventually. Bleeding edge is the idea of getting the package as soon as it gets released by upstream. You can have a bleeding edge Gentoo easily and it will be very stable but you might have problems here and there and you can have a stable Gentoo system where packages are usually a month or so old and you can have a hybrid system where you have a bit of both depending on the applications you want. I added links to my channel on youtube, you can check the portage playlist to understand more about how portage works.
  • I also think I might have made too much of comparision between Arch Linux and Gentoo. My apologies.
  • There are similarities, but there are also differences. Both don't have an installer, both start from scratch and both are rolling release. Arch is binary, Gentoo is source code. Arch is bleeding edge, Gentoo can be either/or or hybrid. Arch has AUR, Gentoo has overlays. Well, there are similarities and there are differences. You don't need to apologize, we can all be wrong, it's human. I just felt I should explain the differences so you could understand the difference between bleeding edge and rolling release.
  • I appreciate the information you've given me about gentoo and the difference between bleeding edge and rolling release. Thank you .
  • You're very welcome, we are here to help each other. That is what Linux and the community is all about. When you have time, have a run through my playlist, you'll understand more why I use Gentoo.
  • Isn't Linux Lite #1 OS? , Is it possible to change icons/appearrence in Lite to a higher quality? including the website? Do you guys trust compiz? Even if it says it might give you a system failure, bug or errors? I am 100% of getting 3d Desktop and I'm trying to install 3D Desktop or Compiz before I do that, is it safe? I believe I am not ready for Gentoo, sorry it does seem difficult for me at least until I go school for IT next year. You notice Gentoo interface and icons here shown:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Gentoo12.0.jpg

compared to Lite
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VadZs_GaUBY/UgbGdYRvWOI/AAAAAAAAEOw/POWn928yBcc/s1000/linux-lite-3.jpg

........... Lite is old skool designed which includes alot of accessories, games, office programs, etc.It took me half a day or all day to find out to download Linux Lite, I loved it but, it wasn't my style that I use or want to. I'm looking for something new, This is for my new PC and I hate Windows 8 so bad W8 is a lazy OS that can't multi-task much. The display is horriable alot of square boxes everywhere
  • The Gentoo screenshot is KDE and LL has XFCE, you won't get Gentoo like that that's the LiveDVD screenshot. You'll probably get a straight vanilla KDE after you install it yourself and configure it yourself to make it look the way you want it to look. You can't compare apples and oranges. I don't know about Compiz and/or KWin but you should check Spatry's videos on youtube. He has series on Linux Lite that might help you get there.
  • Lol, it's funny when you said
    You can't compare apples and oranges
    Compiz is like a 3D Desktop I never used it before but, I will test it all out in a minute here. I've watched Spatry's YouTube videos last night which is how I got inspired to join LL OS. Any chance you think LL have a way to have KDE graphic intergrated or in the system? If not, I'm just looking for a good linux system that has a KDE graphics included that matches my criteria for game developmentI'm guessing Linux Lite isn't the #1 Operating System? Anyone know if it is?
  • You can install any DE on any Distro, so it doesn't really matter which distro you use. You should start with something easy and LL is a good easy distro. I don't use 3D graphics and compiz, they don't interest me.
  • What is the Best Laptop Distribution?
  • It also doesn't matter, if you know what you're doing you can make any distro work.
  • What does it mean by "Work out of the box"? , This is my first time that I have started with Linux OS/Distro's so I was wondering when I have the iso /DVD-CD's installed. Will Linux only work with my installation disk and have to boot it to its OS to work on there? I don't know how it works with Linux. If I decide to save my progress or work in Linux OS, Will it be saved? I have to shutdown my PC and I'm still on my PC Linux OS, If I shut it down and come back to go online. Will I have to boot again and insert my disk to get on my OS? Does Linux OS end at a point to where the serer goes down? If there is a new update/install package. I have to get another disk, install it to my DVD-CD everytime theres an update?I'm going Debian Linux
  • Works out of the box usually means that you installed it and everything works, you didn't need to do anything to get any hardware working. If you install it, it's just like any OS, everything you do gets saved. If you don't install it and run it from the CD (live) nothing will be saved. For updates, all you need is an internet connection.

I wouldn't suggest you start with debian.
  • Oh ok, thank you. I really don't want to use Linux Lite as my primary OS but, I'm going to be looking for something new that work with Compiz. Can you select the Linux OS Distro that is selected on this list for me that you would recommend without other OS that are not listed on the list: http://wiki.compiz.org/Distributions
  • Linux Lite is Ubuntu based so it should work with Kwin, I remember Spatry was talking about doing a series on it. You can check this out, the rest are fairly for intermediate and novice users not beginners. The only beginner friendly distros in there is Ubuntu and "maybe" openSuse which I never tried. I have no idea what NimbleX is nor what is Pardus. I don't recomment Sabayon (but that's just me, some people like it). Debian and Fedora are for beginner/intermediate users, not that user friendly if you don't know Linux enough. Arch and Gentoo are more intermediate/novice Linux users of do it yourself.
  • Ok. Thank you. Just 1 question .. When you explained saving my Linux Lite onto my disk. Will the data be full ever? What happrns if its full of data and I need another disk to load the rest?
  • I don't fully understand the question...
  • Oh sorry. First of all is there a way I could start Linux Lite as.my primary OS instead of loading the ios disk everytime I want to use it? I want to save my progress on my PC and guessing it will always save so does it meaning that all my stuff I added. and downloaded will take up the ios disk? If it does then how can IHow can I load my other disk 2 data, downloads and stuff on LL if the disk is full
  • You will have to resize down your ios partition and make a partition for Linux, they use different file systems.