Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Valve Announces Linux Based System SteamOS

Hi everyone, I've just found out that Valve is going to make a Linux based OS called SteamOS. I honestly think that this is great that Linux is getting more support from Steam and hopefully we'll see more developments for Linux later on.

Comments

• pdqpdq Administrator
    Cool :D go linux!

Admin at Linux Distro Community, humble slave of LGC & lurker at GOL. [GitHub, Twitter, Steam]

• Whoo, Hoo! Go Linux! Screw Windows! Heard About this on CNET, just this afternoon after they announced it. Linux has a definate future, no doubt.
    Theodore Thorpe,
    Member of the Cup Of Linux, Linux Distro Community & Linux Lite Forums.
  • SeanSean Registered
    They're announcing some hardware in two days.
  • Sean wrote:
    They're announcing some hardware in two days.

Even Better!!
    Theodore Thorpe,
  • I was wondering how modifiable it will actually be. I read the cooperating system article where it mentions modification but it seems rather vague.
    Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, it’s a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else. With SteamOS, “openness” means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they’ve been able to. Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation.
  • robgravesrobgraves DonatorDonator
    Donator
    This is interesting.
  • I was wondering how modifiable it will actually be. I read the cooperating system article where it mentions modification but it seems rather vague.
    Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, it’s a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else. With SteamOS, “openness” means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they’ve been able to. Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation.

Now that you mention that, It looks like it might be customisable, only time will tell. Hope it's not going to be locked down like Chrome OS. It is a very vague and generic description of the customisability. Kinda up in the air right now.
    Theodore Thorpe,