Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

New Linux user here... coming from Puppy

Hello everyone,

I am sick of using windows, and most of the apps I use are open-source, so I'm trying to switch to linux.

I have two pcs, an I7 and an old asus netbook. Since I don't want to use different OSs/distros I'm going for a lightweight linux.

I tried Puppy, but it's just too minimal. I tried lite from a live usb, and appart from not detecting a latin1 keyboard (something that shouldn't be hard to set on install) there were no issues.

I've bought windows 7 starter, and for some specifics apps I have to keep it. Generally I have two partitions - one for apps and OS and the other for files.

Now my i7 pc sits in the living room (new house with no desk space), and I was thinking of getting an external usb3 HDD to keep every file and then use the different computers for different tasks.

I want to test this distro on my netbook. Keeping the windows 7 installed on the C drive and install the other on the D drive (if this was the i7 I would create another partition to backup some files or for big jobs).

I studied the install methods but I'm still unsure on what to choose... Should I select dual boot and select the bigger drive (the D drive) or should I choose 'something else'.

I know this is a first time post, and that it's probably in the wrong section but I really don't want hassles in reinstalling windows 7...

Anyway, thanks for your reads and replies in advance.

Best Regards,

Nuno Pinto

Comments

• I've been testing linux lite on my asus netbook, and I think you've made a good choice.

If you choose "D" you will loose the data in that partition as it is formated for Linux Lite. If that is OK, then that is a good option.

I use the same paritittion scheme as you...OS on one partition and data on another. I recommend creating a 3rd partition on that disk for Linux Lite. I would create a 10 gb test paritition. That would allow the install of linux lite (6gb) with the balance to test apps.

Although you can use the Linux Lite installer to change/add/modify partitions, I find gparted an easier method to create and resize partitions. You can get a boot iso of gparted here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

I did do a "something else" installation video (link below), but I already had the partitions made ahead of time. (I used a code block here because the system wouldn't display the youtube link, and it kept trying).

• plustwoplustwo Registered
    Welcome to LDC mate, have fun with linux. :-)
  • Hope you find your perfect match distro wise and welcome to our community
  • Welcome to the LDC :D
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    Welcome to the community mate :D

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• robgravesrobgraves DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Welcome to the LDC
  • dultdult Registered
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

Another thing I got thinking is formatting the whole disk and installing a 64gb ssd.

I'm not going to install and uninstall lots of software, this way the laptop can be kept for those little odd jobs and travelling.
  • dultdult Registered
    Sorry for the bump.

But I was thinking of first installing linux alongside windows in the same drive. How much should I leave for linux? or that isn't advisable...?
  • well, that depends on what and how many apps, but I've got a 20gb partition that I use for the os and apps, and I'm only using 50% or so.

Linux lite needs 6gb for the default installation.