Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Video settings

Hey People. I know I am new. But I am looking for an easy install on a Dell Inspiron mini. I can put the iso on a usb and it will load but I think I am having issues with the video because only half of the screen is showing horizontally. You can see the desktop and the tray for the system but it only comes down about halfway. THe windows 7 starter the mini came with is sooo slow. The specs are as follows:

Dell Inspiron 1010
Intel R Atom TM CPU Z520 @ 1.33 ghz X2
1 G of Memory

Video says Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500
Then it has the normal other devices. The exception here is that it does not have a CD slot at all. The only way to do anything is via a connection through the rj45 plug to a network or through the wireless.

I am simply looking for an OS that will speed up this thing so my daughter can use it. Any help?

Comments

• I know Valtam's Linux Lite runs very nicely on older/smaller hardware. I would suggest that as there are many people who use it on these forums (so it's pretty easy to get support here) and it is very easy to use and install. Does the laptop/netbook have a USB port? If so, I can direct you toward some resources that might help you get a bootable USB drive setup.

Downloads for Linux Lite .iso's can be found here: https://www.linuxliteos.com/
  • TibleTible Registered
    Linux Lite isn't a bad way to go. Maybe even a xfce distro of another kind like Mint. If you want something slim and very minimalist you could check out Crunchbang (if you have a bit of experience with linux already).

I'd check those out and maybe watch some youtube reviews on them to see which you like best. There are alot of lightweight and low resource distros out there, it just comes down to your preferences.
  • ohjrsonohjrson Registered
    Yeah I have already tried the USB live and it works but the screen is all messed up. Only half of the screen shows and then even that seems like it is split in half. I think it has to do with something on the viedo but not sure. Any Ideas?
  • SeanSean Registered
    GMA500 you say...?
    I helped somebody a month ago with the same problem: https://www.linuxdistrocommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1324&page=2
  • A good lightweight distro is Linux Lite, although Linux Mint XFCE is my lightweight distro of choice, because of the Whisker Menu, looks alot like the Windows Start Menu. Linux Lite is lighter than Linux Mint XFCE though but their close.

As for the graphics, the Intel GMA 500 Graphics has pretty horrible support in Linux in general. I'm in the same boat as well as I have a massive 17-inch Toshiba Satellite Laptop from 2008 with Vista pre-installed. The graphics support is horrible on that as well (it is a ATI Radeon Xpress X1250). The video being extremely laggy, even the mouse pointer studdering, that bad. I haven't found a solution for it. I'll try Linux Lite on it and see if it helps solve problems. Currently it has Linux Mint 15 XFCE and very laggy on that. I'm crossing my fingers for Linux Lite.
    Theodore Thorpe,
    Member of the Cup Of Linux, Linux Distro Community & Linux Lite Forums.
  • If you can get past the video problem, Linux lite is very nice on a netbook.

Looking through those links sean provided, maybe you should try a distro that does not use lightdm as the display manager. I don't know if it will help, but it would rule out a potential problem for you. I'm sure there are several out there that do not use lightdm, but you'll probably need a non-ubuntu based system to try. I'm partial to antix (debian based) and I know it does not use lightdm. It also runs well on netbooks. Its not always the simplest system but it is small, light, and flexible.

antix.mepis.org

again, I don't know if lightdm is really the problem. It could be that you would have to restart any display manager, but it doesn't cost anything but time to try something else.
  • ohjrsonohjrson Registered
    Yes it seems that DSL works when I do the user setup and will display graphics properly It works great except it does not find the wireless modem and the phone modem either. So I am not sure exactly how to proceed. Need to see if I can get the video display in DSL to work in Linux lite and it would be just perfect. Any Ideas?
  • This guy has some suggestions on boot codes that may help.

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/ubuntu-12-04-gma500-poulsbo-boot-options/