Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Root password

Hi guys,
i'm new to the wonderful world of linux and i have a slight problem.
For the life of me i can't figure out my root password! when installing Linux Lite I was promted to enter a password so i used 123456. but when i tried to carry out a super user command this password didn't work. I then checked the forums to find a work-around and tried to drop to the root command however when i did this, it again asked for a password. :-/ This has me very confused as from the threads that i've read the root is not password protected by default!

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appricated!

Best Regards,
Liam

Comments

• Can you log in with the user password 123456? It should work with sudo then.

But...if you want to try resetting your passwords, try the steps below. I would recommend resetting both root and the user passwords.

1. Hold down the "shift" key while booting linux lite so that the grub menu appears.

2. Once the menu is up, select the first linux lite entry and press 'e' to edit.

3. look for a staement that starts with "linux". use your arrows keys to drop to the statement, and then go to the end of the statement. My statement is actually "2 lines" deep, so make sure you are at the end of the statement. On my machine, the last word in the statement is $vt_handoff.

4. type the following at the end of the statement 'init=/bin/bash' (no quotes when you type)

5. press F10 to boot. You should drop into a limited bash shell command prompt, but you will be logged in as root.

6. The filesystem is mounted read only, and we need to remount as writable. Issue the following command:
    # mount -n -o remount,rw /

7. you can now change passwords with the passwd command. to change the root password, do this
    # passwd

to change a user password, do this (replacing user with your username in question. it must be exact.
    # passwd user

Reboot! If the only problem you have is the password, you should be good.
  • setkehsetkeh Administrator
    if you tried to use sudo to execute the command then it wants you users password not the root password but if thats your root password i would strongly suggest changing it to somthing allot more secure :D

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• Mark SalgadoMark Salgado Registered
    [size=large][/size]
    Can you log in with the user password 123456? It should work with sudo then.

But...if you want to try resetting your passwords, try the steps below. I would recommend resetting both root and the user passwords.

1. Hold down the "shift" key while booting linux lite so that the grub menu appears.

2. Once the menu is up, select the first linux lite entry and press 'e' to edit.

3. look for a staement that starts with "linux". use your arrows keys to drop to the statement, and then go to the end of the statement. My statement is actually "2 lines" deep, so make sure you are at the end of the statement. On my machine, the last word in the statement is $vt_handoff.

4. type the following at the end of the statement 'init=/bin/bash' (no quotes when you type)

5. press F10 to boot. You should drop into a limited bash shell command prompt, but you will be logged in as root.

6. The filesystem is mounted read only, and we need to remount as writable. Issue the following command:
    # mount -n -o remount,rw /

7. you can now change passwords with the passwd command. to change the root password, do this
    # passwd

to change a user password, do this (replacing user with your username in question. it must be exact.
    # passwd user

Reboot! If the only problem you have is the password, you should be good.

Hello, I tried the steps above. Everything goes good except when I enter f10 to boot, it boots directly to Linux Lite. I'm using Linux Lite 2.0 with Ubuntu 14.04 Lts Software base. I'm trying to assign a root password so I can download a driver for my printer. Thank you!
    You should not need a root password to install anything you should be able to use the sudo tool to temporarily give you root access for the application to install your printer driver :)

Wisdom:

Well putting my regular password is not working. And since I'm the only user, there is no other password. I didn' t make a root password and by reading someone else's post I learned that you're not assigned as the root user.
    Anyways, I'm stuck here. I want to get my printer working soon. I also have another problem. I wanted to install wine and a few other things, but for some reason it won't let me.
    Give me a second and I'll try to download something so you guys can know exactly what happened. BRB!
    Ok, I'm back. So I went to install additional software. I chose #23 for Wine. I accepted the terms and then I entered my password. I get a message saying " Wine could not be installed "
    So I was thinking, maybe I need to make a root password and try again.
    But either way, I can't even make a root password, cause the steps I followed work up until I boot with f10 and no shell with root user pops up!
    I need help!
    PS. I have a Lexmark X5650 Printer and it's not on the list or Lexmark drivers on Linux-Lite. I went to their website and they do have drivers there, but none for Linux Lite or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I downloaded the Linux Mint one. Don't know if that will work or not, but I'm just trying drivers till I get one to work. If I can get one installed.
  • ValtamValtam Registered
    Mark, after you installed LL did you run Install Updates? This is the first thing you must do. Also, Support for LL is over here now - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php You DO NOT need a root password. The password is the one you create during the installation, nothing else is needed.
  • sidzensidzen DonatorDonator
    Donator
    I know some proprietary printer drivers will not allow install via sudo -- they tell user they must be root to install the driver! so, I feel your dilemma when forum mods say "you don't need to become root."
    sudo passwd root

sidzen wrote:
    I know some proprietary printer drivers will not allow install via sudo -- they tell user they must be root to install the driver! so, I feel your dilemma when forum mods say "you don't need to become root."
    sudo passwd root

TBH i dont think that is accurate because there is no special flag or anything like that applied by sudo it basically logs the shell in with a UID that elevates you to root access the returns you to your old UID (likely 100) and i have never found a printer (and i have owned more then my fair share)
    that has ever complained about sudo much less any other tool package managment or otherwise that will complain about sudo providing the root UID.

some printers are not supported by CUPS though if there is a linux driver on there page it probably is and the reason why it not in the cups list is because it uses an identical driver to another model of printer (this can be determined pretty quickly via google) as for the wine issue try running "sudo apt-get install wine" without quotes and when prompted for a password enter the password you use to login to the machine after boot.
    and we can try to solve that issue as well :)

Hope this helps

cheers
    Setkeh

Wisdom:

setkeh wrote:
    sidzen wrote:
    sudo passwd root

TBH i dont think that is accurate because there is no special flag or anything like that applied by sudo it basically logs the shell in with a UID that elevates you to root access the returns you to your old UID (likely 100) and i have never found a printer (and i have owned more then my fair share)
    that has ever complained about sudo much less any other tool package managment or otherwise that will complain about sudo providing the root UID.

some printers are not supported by CUPS though if there is a linux driver on there page it probably is and the reason why it not in the cups list is because it uses an identical driver to another model of printer (this can be determined pretty quickly via google) as for the wine issue try running "sudo apt-get install wine" without quotes and when prompted for a password enter the password you use to login to the machine after boot.
    and we can try to solve that issue as well :)

Hope this helps

cheers
    Setkeh

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. I made a root password with the command given and I tried the apt-get command, but this is what I got.
    $ sudo apt-get install wine
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package wine

I haven't done any updates yet. So I will do updates and try again. Once again thank you all for your help. I really love Linux Lite and I want to learn all I can about the system.
    I Dident realize but you actually have to install wine from a PPA here is the wine HQ link on how to do it :) http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

Wisdom:

setkeh wrote:
    I Dident realize but you actually have to install wine from a PPA here is the wine HQ link on how to do it :) http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

Thank you very much! I installed the updates and now I was able to downlod wine and a webcam program. Once again, thank you guys very much!
    setkeh wrote:

Thank you very much! I installed the updates and now I was able to downlod wine and a webcam program. Once again, thank you guys very much!

Your Welcome :)

Wisdom:

• Valtam wrote:
    Mark, after you installed LL did you run Install Updates? This is the first thing you must do. Also, Support for LL is over here now - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php You DO NOT need a root password. The password is the one you create during the installation, nothing else is needed.

Thanks, as soon as I did I was able to download wine. Now my only problem is I can't find a driver for Lexmark X5650 Printer. I tried googling drivers for Linux Lite or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, but couldn't find any. I also went to Lexmark's website and they do have some for Linux, but not for Linux Lite.
    Is there something I can do or am I stuck without a printer?
  • ChristianC123ChristianC123 DonatorRegistered, Donator
    Donator

You can reset Your root password

1. Reboot to Grub Menu

keep pressing SHIFT after you start your computer until GRUB's menu appears:

2.Edit Grub Menu

Once you reboot to Grub menu, select the first menu item or the menu item you normally use to boot your Ubuntu system and press e to edit:

3.Alter boot menu

Once in the Grub's boot menu edit mode use navigation arrows to locate a line starting with linux and edit it to include read-write mode rw and init=/bin/bash.

1. Reseting root's password

If all went well you should now see root shell command line andyour root partition should be mounted with read/write flags. To confirm run:
      root@(none):/# mount | grep -w /

Now we are ready to reset root's password. To do so, simply run passwd command with no arguments. When prompted enter your new root password:

root@(none):/# passwd

5.**Reboot your system using the following command: **

`root@(none):/# exec /sbin/init`

Regards,
    Christian
    System Admin