Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Ubuntu desktop choice

What do you guys think is the best desktop for ubuntu unity ,gnome,kde i kinda like gnome unity is ok and i tryed the plasma but had problems running it it kept freezing? Shame cus it looks real nice

Comments

• cyber5am wrote:
    What do you guys think is the best desktop for ubuntu unity ,gnome,kde i kinda like gnome unity is ok and i tryed the plasma but had problems running it it kept freezing? Shame cus it looks real nice

Have you tried XFCE or LXDE?

XFCE: http://www.xfce.org/

LXDE: http://lxde.org/
  • SeanSean Registered
    It's all personal preferences. If you really want to find the best desktop environment then you are going to have to try each of them.
  • TibleTible Registered
    Well if it has to be ubuntu, i would say Gnome3 would be my choice. If it could be any ubuntu based distro, i would say Linux Mint Mate or Linux Lite.

Though, you could actually get Mate on ubuntu as well, and that might not be a bad way to go either, but if you were going to do that i would say just us Mint.
  • I liked Unity G1, then the messed it up! Unity G2 and G3 are not my thing. Only two distros use Unity G1 EasyPeasy and Auroa and Both are trying to move to Gnome/mate. I wish someone would fork Unity G1 like they did with KDe 3 and Mate 2.
  • gregzenggregzeng Registered
    cyber5am wrote:
    UNITY requires the Compiz Engine, which is resource hungry. We need to know your hardware - ultra-notebook, running an Intel Atom CPU, with not much memory, not much disk space?

If your hardware is not powerful, any high-powered operating system will fail. I prefer KDE, but XFCE (as in Linux Lite) is ok, if you use GKRELLM to check if your computer is not being overloaded.

When Unity is ready (it is alpha-ware only; not meant for end-users), it will not use Compiz, nor "X" display engine. Linux Lite uses XFCE, which means you can have upto four (4) docks, on any or all of the four sides of your screen. KDE can do this too.
    Cinnamon, Unity, etc are deliberately crippled so that the only way to use the unused sides is with 3rd party apps, like Docky, AWN, etc. They also waste screen space on their very limited task-bars.

Some DEs (desktop environments) also make it impossible to put icons on the desktop.
  • L0aD1nGL0aD1nG Registered
    You talk about the graphical enviroment...

From those three I would for sure discard unity cause it comes with a spyware as far as I know, so between kde and gnome I would choose gnome. But it is depended to what you like man, if you like high quality graphics and detailed ones go you should pick kde else go straight for gnome.
  • KDGKDG Registered
    so Ubuntu`s Unity is SpyWare then u say then huh?

IRC nick Name:             KDG
    Mumble nick Name:      KDG

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub
    KDG said:

so Ubuntu`s Unity is SpyWare then u say then huh?

Dude, with Unity for years now... Ubuntu delivers a special "spyware" that sends all the feed of what you type on your search bar on Amazon and Ebay!

Now of course you might say "Whats the problem with that?" well there is not a real problem if you are not a "rights freak" like i do. But for "rights freaks" like me they should fucking ask for that. And just for the cause that i am a real freak about human rights... For me? They should not even have this fucking spyware on their software they were already said to be bad about there moves on unity and about their attitude of "we work alone" "we at cannonical are the best, you follow us", if you get what i mean...

Now as I said already you might have no problem with that and have this spyware on your system just to use unity. Just to let you know what happened when i tried to uninstall the specific program that i name as "spyware"...... The whole unity enviroment uninstalled along with it!

If you dont believe me, i really have a strong man to back me up mate... Check out:

• KDGKDG Registered
    think u can turn off it on 14.04 and 16.04

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub
    KDG said:

Well still i will have to check the code to be sure that it doesnt work for sure.
    I dont trust those "spies"...

Dude try to quote when you are talking to me so I can answer you for sure and not wait me to check the thread for new answers.

Ohh and nice avatar, Frozen Throne for the win.

• KDGKDG Registered
    @L0aD1nG do you Play Frozen-Throne ?
    L0aD1nG said:

KDG said:

Well still i will have to check the code to be sure that it doesnt work for sure.
    I dont trust those "spies"...

Dude try to quote when you are talking to me so I can answer you for sure and not wait me to check the thread for new answers.

Ohh and nice avatar, Frozen Throne for the win.

My-YouTubeChanne
    update as of 2017
    My-GitHub