Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Ubuntu`s future

My first introduction to the linux world was ubuntu,I have always followed this distro, but what is it with Ubuntu future that many people talk about? Many users also switch distro due to this?

Comments

• SeanSean Registered
    Ubuntu's future is Servers, because they make a lot of money with servers, and mobile phones, because they want to make a lot of money selling their OS to OEM's. But Shuttleworth said that they will still support the desktop no matter how bad Unity is ;p

Things like Unity and Mir really rustle peoples jimmies because they feel Canonical isn't giving back to the community.

I personally started with Ubuntu in 10.04 but in 11.04 I moved away from Unity in favor for Gnome Shell and I left Ubuntu for Arch in 12.04
  • LowEndGeekLowEndGeek Registered
    kim79 wrote:
    My first introduction to the linux world was ubuntu,I have always followed this distro, but what is it with Ubuntu future that many people talk about? Many users also switch distro due to this?

I think the reason a lot of people switch is for a few reasons.

1. Canonical has a habit of trying to re invent the wheel when there is little to no need. Such with Mir and xmir. Xorg is a bit out of date but wayland is already being worked on. Mir is not necessary imo

2. In my experiences their kernel just....sucks most of the time. The ubuntu team patch the kernel for their distro and often it doesn't work as well as it should. Again imo

3. Unity. Not a bad desktop per se but again re inventing the wheel.

4. 6 month releases, I don't feel it gives adequate time to fine tune the distro before releases

These are my own opinions so keep that in mind. That being said I respect canonical for doing what they do, bringing new people in.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2
  • Teddy5090Teddy5090 Registered
    I personally use Ubuntu 13.04 on my main Laptop, and I know I'm biased here, but I like Unity. I started with Ubuntu and Linux in general in 11.04. At that time, I thought that Ubuntu had been the same previously, just with older underpinnings, like the kernel, etc.

I think Ubuntu has a future, at least Ubuntu Touch. It has generated some interest for developing apps for it. Not to mention, Canonical is obviously putting bets on it. I think it will succeed. The Ubuntu Edge kickstarter campaign that is going to end soon, will fail, though. Probably the biggest competition for Ubuntu Edge is Firefox OS.

Just my thoughts.
    Theodore Thorpe,
    Member of the Cup Of Linux, Linux Distro Community & Linux Lite Forums.
  • JoshuaJoshua Registered
    I can probably see people paying for Ubuntu....
    The main Ubuntu has started to turn into Windows sort-of:

-Flashy interface that requires a new computer.

-And Ubuntu on tablets.
  • TNTSTNTS Registered
    I see Ubuntu as a distro that Canonical would try to make money of by making it a paid for OS then Shuttleworth will cut the connection between Ubuntu and Canonical making Ubuntu the free OS that it should be.

OR

Shuttleworth would be blinded by the cash, turn Ubuntu into a paid for OS and seal the latest Ubuntu distro code. Afterwards, developers like those from Debian, Mint, Elementary, etc. would revive the Ubuntu code making another "Ubuntu" for big-name OSes like Linux Mint and Elementary OS to be based on.
  • kim79 wrote:

They will evolve their product in a way Debian can only imagine from the confines of the desktop to otther platforms, making Ubuntu highly mobile.

As for Xorg it served the gnulinux world for many a year I think it will be around for a wee while yet - watch this space.
  • A.R.T.M.A.R.T.M. Registered
    I do like how Ubuntu is moving from upstart to systemd finally all the linux's will have one default init system.
    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316
  • L0aD1nGL0aD1nG Registered
    Ubuntu's future can be actually described with a small phrase : Keep suck hard, till the end.
    No offense or argue starting with Ubuntu fans at all, just an opinion.
  • morning_starmorning_star DonatorRegistered, Donator
    Donator
    @L0aD1nG

I appreciate you knowing its an oppinion. But in the LDC we really try to remember that some things work for some and not others ... I am sure there was some humor intended in this post. But perhaps in the future you may wish to not leave a comment that looks down on a specific piece of software in a thread intended for a legitimate conversation

cheers

Yesterday I went on a walk and saw a little chipmunk sitting on a log.   I went over and asked the chipmunk what he was doing there.  He looked up at me with his little eyes and now i only have one leg.

Sourceforge
    Github

• L0aD1nGL0aD1nG Registered
    @L0aD1nG

I appreciate you knowing its an oppinion. But in the LDC we really try to remember that some things work for some and not others ... I am sure there was some humor intended in this post. But perhaps in the future you may wish to not leave a comment that looks down on a specific piece of software in a thread intended for a legitimate conversation

cheers

Mmm I see, well I know that might that looked kinda rude. But when its about Ubuntu, it seems like I can't hold myself. There was not humor but also there was not intension of thread ruining and such. It is just my opinion on what I think about the specific subject, described within few words. Well bad critisism, isnt always causing bad results though. If something is bad you must say it and express yourself about it so it maybe gets better. And that goes in general as a "life statement" for me. So its not always about "looking down".

Nevermind, I will just keep away of general Ubuntu convos then... I will participate if any help needed or something more practical.
    Thanks for pointing this out.
  • all linux distros are getting systemd, except gentoo and funtoo where its a choice.... and on funtoo its an unsupported choice ;-) you've got to be good at linux if you want to ditch systemd