Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Free VPN

minyunminyun Registered
Hey guys,

New here and basically new to Linux in general. Tried several distros and was very pleased with the ease of Linux Lite. I am currently configuring my set-up and what not and am trying to find a free VPN service that is compatible with Linux Lite.

When I used Windows (which I am desperately trying to ween myself off of) I always had to use an Open VPN or download a program because my ISP would never let me connect PPTP directly.

I previously tried installing the normal network manager seen on linux mint etc to connect to a VPN that way on linux lite but wasn't working for me. I recently re-installed Linux Lite and am trying to give it a go again so I can erase windows off my hard drive once and for all ( :

If anyone can suggest a good free VPN and how to set it up before I eventually get a paid one, that would be wonderful!

Thank you

Comments

• setkehsetkeh Administrator
    NOTE: Deleted Duplicate Thread in inappropriate Sub Forum.

You can Check out
    http://crowncloud.net they have a VPN Service it isent free but its cheep
    chances of finding a free one are slim (Bandwidth isent free)

Wisdom:

One does not Simply Deploy into Production.

• alanwadealanwade Registered
    @minyun
    Its my personal experience that free vpn is not as much effective as the premium one so i suggest you very cheap vpn services: http://www.purevpn.com/order/. Hopefully you will enjoy it
  • harisaltafharisaltaf Registered
    @alanwade i 100% agree with you dear free vpn services no secure free services purpose only unblock blocked website but these services not protected our data so i also suggest you @minyun go for paid service like Hidemyass,vpn4all and purevpn type services i am personally using Vpn4all and i am very satisfied i also read positive reviews about purevpn and hidemyass also but i never switch because vpn4all is much better than others i got Vpn4all

EDIT:

Link Removed Due to Search Engine issues with the Provider

Cheers
    Setkeh
  • SeanSean Registered
    harisaltaf wrote:
    @alanwade i 100% agree with you dear free vpn services no secure free services purpose only unblock blocked website but these services not protected our data so i also suggest you @minyun go for paid service like Hidemyass,vpn4all and purevpn type services i am personally using Vpn4all and i am very satisfied i also read positive reviews about purevpn and hidemyass also but i never switch because vpn4all is much better than others i got Vpn4all

EDIT:

Cheers
    Setkeh

There have been reports about hidemyass giving away information.

I personally use 'private internet access' which is only $40 a year (or $8 a month) and the speeds are pretty good.
  • alanwadealanwade Registered
    Sean wrote:
    harisaltaf wrote:

EDIT:

Cheers
    Setkeh

I personally use 'private internet access' which is only $40 a year (or $8 a month) and the speeds are pretty good.

"private internet access" do not have customer support. Users always gotta trouble shooting problem while connecting it. And talking about PIA prices? yes i agree with you they have the cheapest price with crap service
  • SeanSean Registered
    alanwade wrote:
    Sean wrote:
    harisaltaf wrote:

EDIT:

Cheers
    Setkeh

"private internet access" do not have customer support. Users always gotta trouble shooting problem while connecting it. And talking about PIA prices? yes i agree with you they have the cheapest price with crap service

I have never had to deal with customer service, so there's a possibility you are right. But overall I have had a positive experience.
  • minyunminyun Registered
    Ya I paid for both Private Internet Access and PureVPN, both of which didn't work on my computer (using windows). Both companies were actually pretty useless when it came to customer service sadly... they both said my ISP was the issue... and then took weeks to give me a refund...

Hidemyass is incredibly expensive because of its options but the options are way less on linux but still the same price..

Been trying to figure out Open VPN but am having some issues..wouldn't mind paying for one but tired of paying for literally 5 or 6 services and have it not work out, (yet the free ones seem to work fine its weird).

Cant fully move over to Linux until I have everything dialed in.. dying to just delete that windows partition ha
  • kenmicahelkenmicahel Registered
    A key element to keep in mind when choosing a VPN provider is the compatibility and performance for your Operational System. PrimoVPN.net to me is so far best VPN service providers offer clients that support all major OSes including XP, Windows 8, as well as Mac OSX and Linux
  • Draime95Draime95 DonatorRegistered, Donator
    Donator

Joyous to know about the free vpn and hope it will be helpful for all. Couple of months ago, I signed up with one of best vpn service providers which I have found after reading best tech review sites. Glad to get their services at such great prices.

• CyberjackalCyberjackal DonatorRegistered, Donator
    edited July 11 Donator

If you're after solely/completely free VPN software... the only one I'd consider recommending is "OpenVPN". All others I've tried for secondary computers either have issues I don't care for, or the people/companies who run them share your information. Either are bad news IMO.

If you don't mind paying a little bit, "PIA" (Private Internet Access) & "IP-Vanish" are both awesome alternatives. Do some research and look them both up. I prefer PIA, but both are rock solid.

If you're after complete anonymity, I highly recommend securing you router and/or network as well - not just your primary system. Not going to do you much good if you can be easily traced back to the router/gateway IP. Also, you don't really need the TOR browser, but utilizing the TOR service can be nice... using it, you can even "torify" certain browers/programs/services to keep their usage hidden (like Firefox, Opera, Bash & Zsh shells, etc.). And using a browser with a supposed "built-in VPN" like Opera has, can be an added measure to help keep your system secure & hidden (though it's not really a VPN, but more of a specialized proxy system). You can't go wrong adding or stacking-up multiple layers when it comes to security. ;)

[Edit]: sorry didn't see this was a very old post lol... the previous commenter just pulled it up before me. :P

Arch Linux / RedHat / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed / FreeBSD / Gentoo
    Mate, i3wm, Xfce4+Openbox
    mainly Zsh shell, though will sometimes use Bash

• drake88drake88 DonatorRegistered, Donator
    Donator

Try FastestVPN with FREE Trial with 30 Days Money Back Guarantee with unlimited surf.