Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support Us

Top Posters

Linux Lite 1.0.6 Final released

Release Announcement

This is our most feature packed release to date. We've relied heavily on feedback from the community to help guide the development of Linux Lite 1.0.6. New features include easier networking setup between Linux Lite and Windows/other linux operating systems, a system report tool to help troubleshoot problems, support for scanners, bluetooth and a brand new login screen. The Help and Support Manual is our most comprehensive to date and is available both offline and online. Thank you to everyone who contributed ideas, code and their support.

If you haven't already, please consider 'liking' our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Linuxlite/572323192787066 and help spread the word to people who may not have heard of linux operating systems before.

Check out the brand new screenshots gallery here - Linux Lite 1.0.6 Screenshots Gallery

This release also marks the opening of the Linux Lite Shop. Head on over and select from stickers, DVDs and USB drives, it's a great way of showing your support for the work that goes into creating this distro :)

Download from here - Linux Lite 1.0.6
md5sum: 4e06976d220186358178cd4eec7988c4
Torrent from here - linux-lite-1.0.6-32bit.iso.torrent
Hash: 7f79ad9d2cd83577f9d34d4fa914f544c8e3eeb6

Live USB/DVD/VirtualBox/Vmware: Login is automatic, no credentials required.
The image can be written to a 2gb or larger USB stick, or a writable DVD.
Alternatively, you can use the dd command: sudo dd if=linux-lite-1.0.6-32bit.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=4M where 'x' is the letter of your usb stick.
In linux to find out the letter of your usb stick, open a terminal and type: df -h It is usually listed as 'media' or similar.
Please see the built in Help & Support manual if you require a more detailed explanation of this procedure.

There is no upgrade process from one Linux Lite version to the next because of all the in-between modifications. If 1.0.4 is working well for you stick to that, otherwise you will have to clean install 1.0.6.

Recommended Hardware/Minimal System requirements:

700 MHz processor+ (pae capable)
512 MiB RAM+
5 GB of hard-drive space+
VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution
Either a DVD drive or a USB port for the iso
Check here first - https://www.linuxdistrocommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=525 to ensure your cpu has the pae feature.

Login to the live desktop is automatic.

hZvAEwk.png

UU0u6EI.png

Changelog:

Firefox 21.0
Kernel 3.2.0.40 pae
Rewrote Help & Support Manual
Added Scanner support.
Added Bluetooth.
Added 'Drives' shortcut to home folder.
Added Show Desktop button.
Added support for iDevices.
Added right click 'Open as Administrator' to Thunar.
Added/Removed Install Additional Software scripts.
Added Enable/Disable automatic login to System menu.
Added Network Share Settings to System menu.
Added Create System Report to System menu.
Replaced Wicd with Network Manager.
New live boot menu.
New login screen.
New install slides.
Announcement of the Linux Lite Shop.
Fixed auto login if chosen during installation.
Bug fixes.

Comments

• robgravesrobgraves DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Downloading, then i'll seed it again.
  • p1petap1peta Registered
    Is there anyway to update my 1.0.4 installation to 1.0.6? I don't mind reinstalling it because I like it, but it will be very helpful to save time

Edit: I can seed too, btw nice distro
  • rmcelligrmcellig Registered
    Is there any way to update my beta copy of 1.0.6 to the latest version? I see to be missing some stuff like the background images, and administrator priveledges when selecting a file or folder. I did do the Install updates but it looks like it didn't update to the final 1.0.6 release.
  • bartosbartos DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Seeding now until next release.
    Good job
  • ValtamValtam Registered
    p1peta wrote:
    Is there anyway to update my 1.0.4 installation to 1.0.6? I don't mind reinstalling it because I like it, but it will be very helpful to save time

Edit: I can seed too, btw nice distro

Hi p1peta,

There is no upgrade process from one Linux Lite version to the next because of all the in-between modifications. If 1.0.4 is working well for you, stick to that, otherwise you will have to clean install 1.0.6.

(info added to original announcement)
    I ended up doing a clean install of 1.0.6. Works and looks great!! Fantastic job!!
  • ValtamValtam Registered
    Some early feedback to share from Youtube reviews of 1.0.6:

"Linux lite 1.0.6 final release is simply the best overall distro out there. I could give it to my mom and she would figure it out in no time. Excellent job."

"Killer distro! Best one I've used so far and I've tried most of the popular ones. Its easy to use and fast. Love it!"

"Runs like clockwork. Linux Lite is blazing fast, looks nice and comes with all the apps I need."

"My 3 favorite distros so far are. PinGuy , Zorin and Lite. All because they actually sort out the issues the base (Ubuntu) has. I recently left Debian for Zorin and loving it. Great review. XFCE is very fast and responsive on Lite. "

"I love it! I'm replacing Windows 7 with this. It runs everything I need to get my work done without the Windows bloat. Lots of nice games to play too."
  • SpatrySpatry Registered
  • p1petap1peta Registered
    I just installed linux lite again to change to the new 1.0.6 version and it took me less than 2 hours installing drivers and programs and adding my documents, music and games. and I only restarted my computer when I installed the nvidia drivers. AWESOME distro 10/10
    I just installed 1.0.6 to my old Dell 3000, my HP dv2000 and my hpdv6 laptops. So far everything works fine, although slower probably because of the processor.
  • SeanSean Registered
    It doesn't work on my Dell Inspiron 9200 because my computer doesn't support pae. But, I'll still seed the torrent on my server box.
  • bartosbartos DonatorDonator
    Donator
    Installed on my Compaq Presario CQ60-404CA. all working fine and fast
  • CEUOTCCEUOTC Registered
    Installed on P170EM (i7 3630QM, GTX 680M, 16gb DDR3, 2x256 SSD + 1TB) Bumblebee working.
    Installed on W110ER (i5 3210M, GT 650M, 16gb DDR3, 256 SSD) dual booting with W7P, Bumblebee working.

Loving this distro works out of the box on both laptops, works a treat.
    What is Bumblebee?
  • CEUOTCCEUOTC Registered
    rmcellig wrote:
    What is Bumblebee?

Bumblebee allows Mobile Nvidia GPU's to work in linux when installed on a laptop/netbook with mobile GPU fitted, essentially it allows it to be switched on when needed and switched off when not in use, very much the same way Optimus works.

Bumblebee Project
    CEUOTC wrote:
    rmcellig wrote:
    What is Bumblebee?

Bumblebee allows Mobile Nvidia GPU's to work in linux when installed on a laptop/netbook with mobile GPU fitted, essentially it allows it to be switched on when needed and switched off when not in use, very much the same way Optimus works.

Bumblebee Project

Thanks for the info.
  • digundigun Registered
    hi, i'm new to linux lite. i tried to install using USB live but failed. I'm stuck after network config. Is there anyway i can install it directly from boot like crunchbang?
  • jlostjlost Registered
    Installed successfully via USB using win32diskimager. No issues so far.
  • It's really nice, I like it a lot. I tried Linux Mint initially, which everyone raved about, but IMO there is no comparison. Linux Mint has a slick UI, but at this point it's crazy slow and buggy. They still have a lot of work to do, whereas LL is ready for primetime right now.

My only issues with 1.06 are that 1) for a modern OS the procedure to create a network share should be right-click and change share settings 2) I can't figure how to turn auto-login off, and 3) I can't wake up from sleep mode, which apparently is a universal issue with Linux (Ubuntu versions only?) for some boxes.

These are minor complaints though, overall I'm very happy with LL. After I figure out wine, then I may put it on my W7 box also.

Thanks guys, good work!
  • johnrpmjohnrpm Registered
    Menu...system....login settings is that what you meant???, it works on my systems.
    mine wake up and ask for a password after sleep.
    don't use shares so can not help there.
    hope this helps.

I am no expert so may well be talking rubbish, won't be the first time.
  • johnrpm wrote:
    Menu...system....login settings is that what you meant???, it works on my systems.
    mine wake up and ask for a password after sleep.
    don't use shares so can not help there.
    hope this helps.

I am no expert so may well be talking rubbish, won't be the first time.

For whatever reason I can't turn off the auto login, I change the setting, it asks for password and I enter it, but when I reboot nothing happens, it still boots straight to the desktop. There is a little x with a circle around it next to the menu item, if that means anything.

As far as waking up, it's my understanding it's an ubuntu thing with some hardware and there's nothing you can do to fix it, but if you know something I don't...:)

The shares work, it's just a little complicated IMO for a beginner to get it going. It's really the only feature I can see from a getting up and running quickly perspective that is missing.
  • For anyone interested, I figured out how to turn off the auto-login, type this

sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

and then delete the auto-login=user line

see full deal here http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/03/automatically-login-to-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/